Author Topic: top 10 concerts of 2002  (Read 68278 times)

dulcinea

Re: top 10 concerts of 2002
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2002, 11:02:00 pm »
well, i've managed to see the Mighty Mighty Bosstones approximately six times in 2002 (twice in January @ 9:30, then at Warped Tour, then at the Recher, then twice in November @ 9:30) Not bad. Other than that...<P>Bad Religion/Less Than Jake @ Nation (if only because I literally almost died that night)<P>Flogging Molly/Andrew WK @ Nation<P>Bright Eyes/the Good Life/Mayday @ Black Cat<P>Our Lady Peace @ the Electric Factory<P>the Gin Blossoms/Spin Doctors/Sponge/Seven Mary Three @ 9:30<P>Less Than Jake/Pietasters/Bigwig/Ann Beretta @ Nation<P>Mustard Plug/Brandtson/Digger/Whippersnapper @ Ottobar<P>the ShakeDowns/Alphabet Bombers/Carlsonics/Trauma Queens @ Sidebar<P>anything involving the Slackers<P>is that 10? *shrugs*

the robot speaks

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2002, 01:50:00 am »
I think I only went to 10 concerts this year, I'm not really sure, but here are those I managed to remember, in chronological order:<BR>Nofx-Irving Plaza- not a big fan, but it was a fun night, we drank on the train and then drank while we walked through NY<P>bouncing souls- sahara- not a big fan, and the other bands were boring (pietasters i think, does that sound right?)<P>Superchunk-roseland ballroom- this was a fun show too, the get up kids played too, they were ok<P>breeders-bowery ballroom- i enjoyed this show, imperial teen were enjoyable as well<P>american analog set-knitting factory-this show was a little disappointing, her space holiday and the dears were pretty bad<P>warped tour- some good bands, some bad, movielife were good<P>-paul westerburg- the vanderbilt- good show, old crowd, i think i was the only one who could not drink<P>trail of dead-930 club- they were good<P>new found glory and friends - nation - not a big fan of the bands here, went for free, but ended up having a lot of fun<P>frank black-black cat- this was a good show<P>interpol- 930- this was a really good show, but i did not enjoy the other bands as much

chapter54

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2002, 02:17:00 am »
i must be doing something wrong - i've never seen shit for free.....<P>~ ric

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2002, 05:10:00 am »
some of my favorite shows this year, in no particular order:<P>the used, warped tour, va beach<BR>qotsa w/ mr. grohl, 9:30<BR>the used, warped tour, nissan pavilion<BR>mike doughty, co-headline with poi dog, 9:30<BR>the used, opening for andrew wk, 9:30<BR>clutch, 9:30<BR>the used, opening for boxcar, nation<BR>jurassic 5, 9:30<P>there are more, but i'm tired.  damn, do the used put on a hell of a live show.<P><p>[This message has been edited by thatguy (edited 12-18-2002).]

da'niceguys

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2002, 01:03:00 pm »
alright, haven't been on this thing in agesss<BR>but i really like the topic. so here goes.<BR>no order<BR>1) thursday - alley katz <BR>2) the used - alley katz<BR>3) bright eyes - 930<BR>4) ben kweller - 930<BR>5) andrew wk - 930 so rock in roll it was funny<BR>6) incubus - patriot center<BR>7) phantom planet - metro cafe<BR>8) cake - 8 th and G<BR>9) the hives - black cat  (didn't go but sold my tickets for stupid money<BR>10) the show where i met my girl...can't remember who played

poorlulu

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2002, 01:11:00 pm »
«?9_?ginally posted by da'niceguys:<BR><B><BR>10) the show where i met my girl...can't remember who played</B>[/QUOTE]<P>you romantic bastard..............

da'niceguys

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2002, 01:19:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by poorlulu:<BR><B>«?9_?ginally posted by da'niceguys:<BR><BR>10) the show where i met my girl...can't remember who played</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>you romantic bastard..............[/QUOTE]<P>you say it like its a bad thing...trust me its not

poorlulu

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2002, 01:21:00 pm »
it wasn't by any chance the nighties who played was it?

da'niceguys

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2002, 01:37:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by poorlulu:<BR><B>it wasn't by any chance the nighties who played was it?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>short answer, no<BR>long answer, i don't think i get your meaning, well longer answer anyways

happiness is all the rage

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2002, 02:34:00 pm »
i LOVE the shins!! "gold teeth and a curse for this town were all in my mouth...only i don't know how they got out, dear..."<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Dark:<BR><B>In no order<P>the Shins at Bumbershoot<BR>Rhett Miller at the Black Cat<BR>Wilco at Bumbershoot<BR>Norah Jones for free at Kennedy Center<BR>Arlo at Velvet Lounge, until the drummer and singer got into a slugfest<BR>Madeleine Peyroux at Iota<BR>Joe Pernice at Iota<BR>Wayne Hancock at the Half Moon Barbeque<BR>Robbie Fulks at Iota<BR>Dan Savage at Borders<P>I can't think of any shows I went to at the 9:30 that would make the list.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

MaLo

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2002, 02:42:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>i must be doing something wrong - i've never seen shit for free.....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>i work part time in the box office at wolftrap, so i can see shows for free all summer..but its always random stuff like the Nat'l Symphony Orchestra...best free wolftrap shows ever:  John Denver, Lyle Lovett, David Byrne, and Elvis Costello..

Skaboss

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2002, 04:00:00 pm »
Yeah, <BR>I go to summerfest just about every year...lots and lots of bands, it's awesome. Almost the onlyy thing milwaukee is good for, besides really cheap beer and cheese curds.<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Dark:<BR><B>   DC could use a good national music festival ala Milwaukees Summer Fest or Seattle's Bumbershoot or Austin's Austin City Limits Fest....</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

ggw

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2002, 04:02:00 pm »
In no particular order:<P>Sleater Kinney - 9:30<BR>Superdrag - 9:30<BR>American Analog Set - Mission Space (Even though the sound was better at Black Cat, I enjoyed the Mission Space show a little more)<BR>The Hives - Black Cat<BR>John Wesley Harding - iota<BR>QOTSA - 9:30 (w/ Dave Grohl)<BR>Fugazi - Fort Reno<BR>The White Stripes - 9:30<BR>The Stratford 4 - Metro Cafe<BR>Billy Bragg - 9:30

Dandy01

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2002, 04:10:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by da'niceguys:<BR><B>6) incubus - patriot center<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>that is the show that stands out to me the most as far as best shows for the year. <P>I also liked Trans Am at Fort Reno.<p>[This message has been edited by Dandy01 (edited 12-18-2002).]

thirsty moore

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2002, 04:17:00 pm »
As previously stated, I'm sure there were a few shows that I left out.  Trans Am at Ft. Reno were fantastic.  As were the Breeders at the Ottobar and Bragg at the 930!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dandy01:<BR><B>  that is the show that stands out to me the most as far as best shows for the year. <P>I also liked Trans Am at Fort Reno.<P>[This message has been edited by Dandy01 (edited 12-18-2002).]</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>