Author Topic: Need help with a weekend in DC.  (Read 4700 times)

ggw

Re: Need help with a weekend in DC.
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 06:47:00 pm »
Everytime I go to NYC or SF or Chicago or LA, I am happy that I live in D.C., a town in which there are more than a dozen museums that you can walk into for free.

One of my favorite things to do is to head into the city with no plan whatsoever.  Just go where things take you...

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 10:14:00 am »
If you plan on nailing this bird I would stay away from the holocaust museum....bit of a buzz kill evidently.

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 10:33:00 am »
How about a threesome with ThatGuy?

Originally posted by yohansen5b:
  So I'm surprising my girlfriend with a weekend in DC, hotel and everything.  We'll be in Saturday Aug 16 to Monday Aug 18.  I've got restaurants and a few things planned out but I'm really hurting for things to do.  It's the one weekend there isn't a show we want to see and, as it seems to me, it's the dead time for theater.

Anyone have any good ideas of things to do in the city for that weekend?  I'll go halfsies with the boyfriend points I'm hoping to collect...

Thanks, kiddos!

thirsty moore

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 10:46:00 am »
Don't sleep on the Building Museum.  It's one of the better museums in DC.  Small, focused exhibits that deal with architecture and design.  You leave feeling like Howard Roark.

lily1

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2008, 09:28:00 am »
i love this place. and there's the eero saarinen exhibit going on right now.

i'd also recommend the jacob lawrence exhibit at the philips collection.

in fact you could go to the dupont farmers market sunday morning for breakfast and then stroll over the philips for a couple hours.

Originally posted by econo:
  Don't sleep on the Building Museum.  It's one of the better museums in DC.  Small, focused exhibits that deal with architecture and design.  You leave feeling like Howard Roark.

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2008, 03:18:00 pm »
Try www.ontaponline.com for events. There's a few interesting things going on those days.  And I'll recommend this  belly dance show at Casablanca Restaurant in Alexandria.  Sometimes student shows are boring but these dancers have been studying for years so it should be good.
xoxo

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2008, 03:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Everytime I go to NYC or SF or Chicago or LA, I am happy that I live in D.C....
I don't get it. (twirls hair)  

Everytime I go to those cities I wonder how much money it would take to move there.
xoxo

eltee

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 11:17:00 am »
-Eastern Market in DC is decent.
 -Drive to Udvar-Hazy in Chantilly, VA.
 -The FDR Memorial has impressed a few friends...I enjoy taking out-of-towners to the Jefferson Mem., or a drive out to Haines Point, down to Roosevelt Island.
 -I think you can rent boats / bikes down along the canal in Georgetown.
 (Is there still the flea market up Wisconsin Ave. in Georgetown? Or, is that once a month?)

jetelo

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2008, 12:00:00 pm »
Didn't Eastern Market burn down in the Spring?