> GENERAL DISCUSSION

ephpod/transferring from ipod to hard drive

(1/4) > >>

BookerT:
pardon the quasi-spam but i'm hoping someone can help me. basic details = external hard drive with all my music crashed, recovery isn't looking good, not much was backed up. but it's all there on my ipod. so i downloaded this ephpod program that lets you transfer files from ipod to a hard drive. but it's only recognizing about 20% of the songs on my ipod. and i know they are still on there. anyone want to help an idiot out?  thanks much...

miss pretentious:

--- Quote ---Originally posted by BookerT:
  pardon the quasi-spam but i'm hoping someone can help me. basic details = external hard drive with all my music crashed, recovery isn't looking good, not much was backed up. but it's all there on my ipod. so i downloaded this ephpod program that lets you transfer files from ipod to a hard drive. but it's only recognizing about 20% of the songs on my ipod. and i know they are still on there. anyone want to help an idiot out?  thanks much...
--- End quote ---
you know...this exact same thing happened to me about a month ago...i'm still in ipod limbo.

jadetree:
when my external drive crashed last year I used this to recover songs from my ipod http://www.fadingred.org/senuti/, worked great, of course that was from ipod to Mac

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface:
Forget any program, here's what you do if it's all on your ipod.

Pull up My Computer (windows key + "e") with your ipod plugged in.

Click Tools > Folder Options > View.

Under advanced, select "Show hidden files and folders."

Go to your ipod in my computer (usually it's like the "E" or "F" drive). Now that it's showing your "hidden" files you will be able to see a folder called "Ipod Control." Double click it.

Inside Ipod Control will be a folder called "Music" filled with fifty folders called F00-F49. Copy the "Music" folder to your hard drive/external drive/wherever you want it. (This might last a while depending on how much you have on your ipod.)

Once it's copied go to the new location and right click on the new "Music" folder (the one on your external hard drive, NOT the one on your ipod) and select "Properties" and it'll have a box checked marked "Hidden." Uncheck it.

Go back to Tools > Folder Options > View and unselect "Show hidden files."

You now have all the files on your hard drive. You can go to itunes and tell it to "Add directory" and select that "Music" folder and it'll add all those files and pull in the info from the id3 tags. Walla! If you use another program for your music other then itunes, you'll need a different final step but it should be similar.

BookerT:
julian's advice seems to be working. it's gonna take a loooooooooong time to transfer 55gb of music, but at least it seems to be transferring. this is the first time during this whole ordeal -- and that's what it's been, an ordeal -- that i feel confident. of course, i may have just jinxed myself. hopefully not.

anyway, i can't thank you enough, julian. wow, i did not expect to be typing that today. hope it works out for you, miss p.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version