Author Topic: where are the Fall out Boy threads??  (Read 5473 times)

beetsnotbeats

Re: where are the Fall out Boy threads??
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2006, 12:38:00 pm »
Beloit College Mindset List

BELOIT COLLEGE'S MINDSET LIST®
 FOR THE CLASS OF 2010

Members of the class of 2010, entering college this fall, were mostly born in 1988. For them: Billy Carter, Lucille Ball, Gilda Radner, Billy Martin, Andy Gibb, and Secretariat have always been dead.

1. The Soviet Union has never existed and therefore is about as scary as the student union.  
 2. They have known only two presidents.
 3. For most of their lives, major U.S. airlines have been bankrupt.
 4. Manuel Noriega has always been in jail in the U.S.  
 5. They have grown up getting lost in "big boxes."  

More at the link....

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2006, 12:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by Steny Hoyer, Pubic Destroyer:
  Because the teens of yesteryear had such superior music taste. Yeah, right.
Sorry Rhett, but not all of us grew up in a cow paddy.

I'll go out on a limb and say, yes, my musical teenage musical tastes were superior to Fallout Boy etc.

Actually, I'd hardly call that going out on a limb.

siggy14

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2006, 01:18:00 pm »
Actually nothing wrong with fall out boy's music, very well written pop punk with catchy riffs, catchy lyrics.

May not be to your liking, but millions of people like them, and to me anyone that can write a song that millions of people love have talent.

And please dont hit me with the they do not have much talent when playing there instrument crap. Because if you think what makes a good musician is how difficult it is to play there music, well then maybe you shouldnt be listening to music, because i can list band after band that didnt write the most difficult music but are still considered Icons.

Originally posted by Señor Carlos:

I'll go out on a limb and say, yes, my musical teenage musical tastes were superior to Fallout Boy etc.

Actually, I'd hardly call that going out on a limb. [/b]

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2006, 01:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by siggy14:
  May not be to your liking, but millions of people like them, and to me anyone that can write a song that millions of people love have talent.

And please dont hit me with the they do not have much talent when playing there instrument crap. Because if you think what makes a good musician is how difficult it is to play there music, well then maybe you shouldnt be listening to music, because i can list band after band that didnt write the most difficult music but are still considered Icons.

by your logic, britney, the pussy cat dolls  and vanilla ice have talent.  i'm comfortable saying that public acclaim does not equal talent or artistic merit.  certainly not the kind of talent i respect and seek out...

i don't think anyone said anything about technical proficiency.  i respect plenty of 3-chord songs.  virtuosity also doesn't make up for artistic merit.  robots can play very fast and very precisely.

also, these are opinions. you are entirely free to not share them.
<sig>

alex

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2006, 01:44:00 pm »
  Actually nothing wrong with fall out boy's music, very well written pop punk with catchy riffs, catchy lyrics.
The music is bland, watered down, simplistic and horribly trite.

The lyrics are even worse.  There is a difference between clever and trying too hard to be clever to the point where you don't make any sense and Fall Out Boy falls under the latter.  Also, the long titles are not clever, interesting, nor funny.

[/b]
 Millions of people like Clay Aiken.  Millions of people followed Hitler.  Does that make them any less evil?

[/b]
 They do not, in fact, have to have much talent when playing their music.  Like I said, it is simplistic, watered down, bland and trite.  Yes, many bands got big playing simplistic music and are considered icons, but I guarentee most of them didn't have all of the cliches, the awful vocals and the shitty lyrics like this band.

Oh, and they SUCK live, at least at all three shows I was unlucky enough to catch them open before they got huge.  That's a big part of any rock and roll act, and if you consistantly put on a terrible show, you shouldn't have a band.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2006, 02:02:00 pm »
so what bands does Alex listen to?  :)
(_|_)

siggy14

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2006, 02:19:00 pm »
Bland and water downed to you, however to there fans they love it, and if it truley was that bland and water downed they would not be big like the are.

I know the routine, people hating bands just because they make it big and are all over the place.

I have been playing guitar for 22 years, drums for 10 and bass for 15. I can tell you right now, a bland water downed group is not going to make it. It is tough to make it in the music business and anyone that can has some sort of talent.

As to the person asking about Britney not having talent, clay not having talent, yes they both do, it is called singing.

As to the music, someone with talent wrote that music, maybe a producer or a professional writer, but someone wrote it that has talent.

Dont hate other music just because you little underground band that you think is the greatest cant get past playing bars.

And dont try that bs they havnt made it because they dont want too, because besides fugazi, there are not many bands that will turn down record contracts.

Simple theory, you get signed make it big you can afford to keep doing what you love, writting and playing music.

Originally posted by Alex:

The music is bland, watered down, simplistic and horribly trite.

The lyrics are even worse.  There is a difference between clever and trying too hard to be clever to the point where you don't make any sense and Fall Out Boy falls under the latter.  Also, the long titles are not clever, interesting, nor funny.

[/b]
 Millions of people like Clay Aiken.  Millions of people followed Hitler.  Does that make them any less evil?

[/b]
 They do not, in fact, have to have much talent when playing their music.  Like I said, it is simplistic, watered down, bland and trite.  Yes, many bands got big playing simplistic music and are considered icons, but I guarentee most of them didn't have all of the cliches, the awful vocals and the shitty lyrics like this band.

Oh, and they SUCK live, at least at all three shows I was unlucky enough to catch them open before they got huge.  That's a big part of any rock and roll act, and if you consistantly put on a terrible show, you shouldn't have a band. [/b]

Venerable Bede

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2006, 02:33:00 pm »
  Bland and water downed to you, however to there fans they love it, and if it truley was that bland and water downed they would not be big like the are.

I know the routine, people hating bands just because they make it big and are all over the place.

I have been playing guitar for 22 years, drums for 10 and bass for 15. I can tell you right now, a bland water downed group is not going to make it. It is tough to make it in the music business and anyone that can has some sort of talent.

As to the person asking about Britney not having talent, clay not having talent, yes they both do, it is called singing.

As to the music, someone with talent wrote that music, maybe a producer or a professional writer, but someone wrote it that has talent.

Dont hate other music just because you little underground band that you think is the greatest cant get past playing bars.

And dont try that bs they havnt made it because they dont want too, because besides fugazi, there are not many bands that will turn down record contracts.

Simple theory, you get signed make it big you can afford to keep doing what you love, writting and playing music.

oh puh-leeze.  these flavor of the weeks are simply marketed by their labels toward specific target audiences (hello high school girls).  being popular does not mean you have talent- nor, for that matter, does having talent mean you'll be popular.  if the record label wants you to be popular, you'll be popular.  i mean, how else do you explain vanilla ice, milli vanilli, 311, ashlee simpson and so forth.  and i seriously doubt that when you buy a britney album, someone hasn't made her voice sound alot better (sorry smackie).
OU812

sonickteam2

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2006, 02:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
 how else do you explain vanilla ice, milli vanilli, 311, ashlee simpson and so forth.
haha, i like how you put 311 in with those other acts  :)   good one.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2006, 02:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by le sonick:

how else do you explain vanilla ice, milli vanilli, 311, ashlee simpson and so forth.
haha, i like how you put 311 in with those other acts   :)    good one. [/b]
thanks. . .i could never understand the appeal of that band (and curse them for unleashing the white boy rap-rock crap that spewed forth)
OU812

chaz

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2006, 02:58:00 pm »

I have been playing guitar for 22 years, drums for 10 and bass for 15. I can tell you right now, a bland water downed group is not going to make it.  
You can't be serious about:

A)  This statement
 B)  Your age (unless you started to actually play guitar 6 years before you were born)

vansmack

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2006, 03:02:00 pm »
   and i seriously doubt that when you buy a britney album, someone hasn't made her voice sound alot better (sorry smackie).
She has a voice?  Well I'll be....

I just turned up the volume on YouTube and Venerable's right - there's music on these videos too!  I just assumed she was dancing around to old Bobby Brown songs...
27>34

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2006, 03:06:00 pm »
Ok, I'll grant you that YOUR teenage music taste was superior to that of today's typical teen. But was your teenage taste in line with those of your peers?

I don't know what era you are from, Chaz, but in my teenage years there were a lot more teenagers listening to REO Speedwagon, Journey and Def Lepard than Iggy, the Ramones, or the Sex Pistols.

chaz

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2006, 03:15:00 pm »
Nope, kids today are just like when I grew up.  They mostly listen to shit!  In fact, I'd say Fallout Boy and Yellowcard and all those other type bands are pretty much the Foreigners, REO Speedwagons and Journeys of today.

Have fun at the Toto concert everyone!

Ok, I'll grant you that YOUR teenage music taste was superior to that of today's typical teen. But was your teenage taste in line with those of your peers?

I don't know what era you are from, Chaz, but in my teenage years there were a lot more teenagers listening to REO Speedwagon, Journey and Def Lepard than Iggy, the Ramones, or the Sex Pistols.

[/b]

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2006, 03:28:00 pm »
 (...)

i take it you've never heard of "marketing".

britney's "voice" is processed TO HELL.  he said she has a very average voice, but has an above-average Antares Auto-tuner operator behind her.  her main talent is her body and her marketing team.  

fine, so let's credit the committee that wrote the songs, not the MTV puppets that regurgitate them out night after night.  and even then, it's more of a tribute to their client-catering and taste-analysis skillz.

seriously, is this rhett?  i knew it!!!  boy, did you get me, good one!  you ol' trickster, you...
<sig>