Author Topic: violence by the club AGAIN  (Read 38170 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Re: violence by the club AGAIN
« Reply #165 on: April 09, 2007, 01:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by Roadbike Mankie:
  I learned very quickly that in America if you think a white person is a moron then that's your opinion, but if you think a black person is a moron then you're a racist.
Mankie, our resident de Tocqueville

I learned very quickly over in the British Isles (and Europe in general) that your lack of a "minority" or "racial" history (slavery, jim crow, the civil rights movement) has left people with very different attitudes towards race ... especially when considering the influx of immigrants with dark skin into europe over the last 15 years or so
(o|o)

« Reply #166 on: April 09, 2007, 01:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by bnyced0:
  other reasons like being on message boards all day long.
You've got me pegged there, sport.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #167 on: April 09, 2007, 01:58:00 pm »
zzzzzz
_\|/_

« Reply #168 on: April 09, 2007, 02:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by Hoya Paranoia:

Hoya, our resident know-it-all

• my blog
« Reply #169 on: April 09, 2007, 02:10:00 pm »
I think a pretty solid definition of a racist is "one who is obsessed with race."  A couple of y'all spend way more time dwelling on this than anything in your life experiences would warrant.
_\|/_

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #170 on: April 09, 2007, 02:15:00 pm »

I learned very quickly that in America if you think a white person is a moron then that's your opinion, but if you think a black person is a moron then you're a racist.

I learned very quickly over in the British Isles (and Europe in general) that your lack of a "minority" or "racial" history (slavery, jim crow, the civil rights movement) has left people with very different attitudes towards race ... especially when considering the influx of immigrants with dark skin into europe over the last 15 years or so [/b]
oh. that's low....that's just below the belt...comparing me to a stinking frog. Oops! was that a racist comment?  ;)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #171 on: April 09, 2007, 02:24:00 pm »
  oh. that's low....that's just below the belt...comparing me to a stinking frog. Oops! was that a racist comment?   ;)  
hah ... i really do find it interesting though how different european people address racial issues as compared to americans, and i really think the lack of a civil rights movement, and all the attendant history, colors (pun intended) a lot of your views
(o|o)

• my blog
« Reply #172 on: April 09, 2007, 02:31:00 pm »
  how different european people address racial issues as compared to americans\
are you talking about race riots, hooliganism, skinheads, and the National Front?
_\|/_

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #173 on: April 09, 2007, 03:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:

are you talking about race riots, hooliganism, skinheads, and the National Front? [/b]
well, that's part of it, but more broadly just an inelegant approach to racial matters ... i'm obviously not saying everyone across the pond is a racist, just that they haven't been forced to confront the same internal issues about the subject that white Americans were forced to confront in the 60s
(o|o)

bnyced0

« Reply #174 on: April 09, 2007, 03:41:00 pm »

Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:

are you talking about race riots, hooliganism, skinheads, and the National Front? [/b]
well, that's part of it, but more broadly just an inelegant approach to racial matters ... i'm obviously not saying everyone across the pond is a racist, just that they haven't been forced to confront the same internal issues about the subject that white Americans were forced to confront in the 60s [/b]
A not so funny personal anecdote, I'm nearly 40 years old and the only time I've ever been actually called a nigger by someone white was in Manchester over the past Xmas when I went to see Morrissey.  It was just some kid in Sainsbury's who didn't know I was a Yank because I'm sure his definition of the word probably meant West Indian, or Jamaican but I actually was so taken aback that I didn't react right away because I was sure it was my over active imagination, until he said it again as he ran out of the store with a couple of other brats.  I spend about as much time here as in europe every year, so being "african american" kinda just gets reduced to american, which is mixed blessing because they still hate me but for being american not necessarily for being black.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #175 on: April 09, 2007, 04:00:00 pm »
'nigger' isn't (or should I say wasn't) nearly as offensive in England as it is here. It wasn't exactly a term of endearment so I'm not defending the kid in Manchester. Actually, as a kid I always thought nigger was someone from nigeria, just like an aussie from Australia. We use to also call black folk wogs, which use to be a term of endearment (Western Oriental Gentleman) but somehow ended up being extremely offensive.

I think with the Americanism of the UK, the 'N' word as it's known has become much more offensive thanks to Hollywood and rap music. (no, I don't blame rap for everything, just a co-incidence I mentioned it twice today) What I can't figure out is if it's such a nasty nasty word why does the black community call each other by that name all the time? You don't hear chinese people walking around yelling "Yo, my chink!" do you?

TheDirector217

« Reply #176 on: April 09, 2007, 04:33:00 pm »
  'nigger' isn't (or should I say wasn't) nearly as offensive in England as it is here. It wasn't exactly a term of endearment so I'm not defending the kid in Manchester. Actually, as a kid I always thought nigger was someone from nigeria, just like an aussie from Australia. We use to also call black folk wogs, which use to be a term of endearment (Western Oriental Gentleman) but somehow ended up being extremely offensive.

I think with the Americanism of the UK, the 'N' word as it's known has become much more offensive thanks to Hollywood and rap music. (no, I don't blame rap for everything, just a co-incidence I mentioned it twice today) What I can't figure out is if it's such a nasty nasty word why does the black community call each other by that name all the time? You don't hear chinese people walking around yelling "Yo, my chink!" do you?
Coincidentally, rather than tire my fingers by going on another soapbox diatribe there is a classic hip-hop song which will answer/clear up a lot of your questions concerning the usage/overusage of the "N" bomb by black folk/hip-hoppers.  The name of the song is "Sucka Nigga" by the legends A Tribe Called Quest.  Click below, please. I will answer any further questions you may have after you have listened to the track.

Hip-Hop Education 101

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #177 on: April 09, 2007, 05:06:00 pm »
Unfortunately we have websense at work so I can't...if I get home at a reasonable hour tonight I'll most definately listen to it then...btw, apart from the young idiot, how did you enjoy your stay in manc?

• my blog
« Reply #178 on: April 09, 2007, 06:30:00 pm »
since this thread is totally off topic anyway, I'll issue one of my periodic invites to join Doomlink.  It's a BBS that's been around since 1987 -- even longer than this one -- and we talk about everything under the sun!   Say you're from the 930 board when you register.  

http://www.alex.to/doomlink
_\|/_

nslesinger

« Reply #179 on: April 09, 2007, 06:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by you be betty:
  my mother just successfully called me downstairs to catch a story on the news about a group of girls leaving 9:30 last night on their way to the metro who were followed by another group of girls and stabbed, mugged, pepper sprayed, and harassed.  

and just as i was starting to be allowed to go to shows again after the shooting...