Author Topic: Yahoo Music: The 25 Best Alternative Rock Bands Of The 1  (Read 6724 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: Yahoo Music: The 25 Best Alternative Rock Bands Of The 1
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2008, 12:31:00 am »
you crack me up. It wasn't a list of Guilty Pleasures of the 1990s.

Originally posted by saintangelsin:
  And by the way, I would totally include Toad the Wet Sprocket on my ultimate list somewhere. Them and the Gin Blossoms. I was listening to Toad a few days ago while on the road actually. You mention about Santa Barbara bands...did you ever like Dishwalla? (Fun fact, Dishwalla were my first show at the 930 club, which was about 10 years ago)
(_|_)

godsshoeshine

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2008, 09:09:00 am »
gbv beat nirvana. successful list
o/\o

saintangelsin

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2008, 01:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by Greer Zoller:

PJ Harvey is on the list actually.

Good point, but I meant the other PJ - as in "Jeremy"  ;)  [/b]
opps. I suck when it comes to abbreviations.

Originally posted by Greer Zoller:
  I wasn't into them so I can't judge if they were the "best", but Stone Temple Pilots or Soundgarden could have been mentioned.
I'm an STP fan, but I wouldn't include them on here. However, I do think Soundgarden is pretty damn appropriate. Hell, I would even dare to suggest Mother Love Bone.

Originally posted by xneverwherex:

And by the way, I would totally include Toad the Wet Sprocket on my ultimate list somewhere. Them and the Gin Blossoms. I was listening to Toad a few days ago while on the road actually. You mention about Santa Barbara bands...did you ever like Dishwalla? (Fun fact, Dishwalla were my first show at the 930 club, which was about 10 years ago) [/b]
dishwalla - nah - the counting blue cars was catchy enough, but never a fan of them. a friend of mine did date the lead singer of the band for quite awhile.

ugly kid joe came out of SB (specifically the slums of isla vista). a friend of mine lived in the apt below them and had to listen to them 'practice' 24/7. he described it as complete torture. [/QB]
I'm kind of jealous of your friend haha. Granted, the lead singer of Dishwalla was such a middle school crush for me.

I didn't know that Ugly Kid Joe was from SB, and I feel sorry for your friend. I too would've hated that. Then again, I hated that band so much.

Originally posted by wanderlust j. marshmallow:
  you crack me up. It wasn't a list of Guilty Pleasures of the 1990s.

Thanks. That's what I'm here to do. But when I meant my "ultimate list" i mean like out of 100 bands or something of the 90s. The Gin Blossoms and Toad the Wet Sprocket would easily make it easily somewhere on my list. (Mostly like between 60 and 80) and I can proudly say that Hootie and the Blowfish would never make it on any of my lists not even guilty pleasures.

saintangelsin

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2008, 05:34:00 pm »
I can't believe we didn't bitch about this one...Fugazi aren't on the list. They're probably THE most influental alternative indie whatever you want to call it band of the 1990s.

Also, I can't believe Sleater-Kinney didn't make this list.

Christine Moritz

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2008, 05:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by miss pretentious:
  in the intro the author said he omitted the british acts because he felt like they deserved a list all their own... but whatever.
He said:

I also short-changed the British big time. (Belle & Sebastian are Scottish.)

Someone needs a refresher course on "British" vs. "English" vs. "Scottish"...

Christine Moritz

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2008, 05:57:00 pm »
Does the Fall really belong in this list?  Weren't they more significant/influential in the 1980s than in the 1990s?

Christine Moritz

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2008, 07:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by Christine Moritz:
 He said:

I also short-changed the British big time. (Belle & Sebastian are Scottish.)

Someone needs a refresher course on "British" vs. "English" vs. "Scottish"...
I should add/clarify... he did shortchange the British big-time.  But his parenthetical remark re. Belle and Sebastian makes me think that he thinks "British" = "English."

Mobius

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2008, 02:59:00 am »
  I can't believe we didn't bitch about this one...Fugazi aren't on the list. They're probably THE most influental alternative indie whatever you want to call it band of the 1990s.

that's a good point.  two best alternative bands of the 90's were Fugazi and Guided By Voices.  Next question.

azaghal1981

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2008, 11:05:00 pm »
Just came across this:

"Experimental Americana pioneer Howe Gelb to release new Giant Sand album, proVISIONS, September 2

This incarnation of Giant Sand is comprised of Gelb, Danish musicians Thoger T. Lund (bass), Peter Dombernowsky (drums) and Anders Pedersen (slide guitar). It features talented friends/collaborators such as Neko Case, M. Ward, Isobell Campbell, Henriette Sennenvaldt, Lucie Idlout and Lonna Kelley."
احمد