Author Topic: Ramones Movie "End of the Century" on PBS Tues  (Read 1828 times)

jardison

Ramones Movie "End of the Century" on PBS Tues
« on: April 23, 2005, 08:24:00 pm »
Tuesday 4-26 night at 10:00pm.  
 http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/guide.html

bearman🐻

Re: Ramones Movie "End of the Century" on PBS Tues
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 08:38:00 pm »
Just got the DVD...it is truly incredible.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 10:23:00 pm »
Yeah....ordered from netflix a few weeks ago. Great film.

Anyone read the dee dee autobiography?  Such a sad tale.  As my 3 year old daughter says whenever they come on the stereo..."The Ramones died, but they still sing."

andyrichter

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 10:37:00 pm »
Yep, I got the DVD as well.  Definitely one you should pick up if you're a Ramones fan.

walkonby

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 04:23:00 pm »
anyone seen that new sex pistols thing that has come out on dvd, "great rock and roll swindle"?  i heard it's for "true" fans only, which usually means it sucks big time and is a waste of film and money.

ggw

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 10:51:00 am »
According to the PBS website, this won't be showing on any of the three local PBS stations (WETA, MPT, HUT).

Venerable Bede

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 11:19:00 am »
Originally posted by walkonby:
  anyone seen that new sex pistols thing that has come out on dvd, "great rock and roll swindle"?  i heard it's for "true" fans only, which usually means it sucks big time and is a waste of film and money.
man. . .that thing has been out for over 10 years.  best line from malcolm: "call all hippies boring old farts, and set light to them."
OU812

walkonby

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 11:57:00 am »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:

Originally posted by walkonby:
man. . .that thing has been out for over 10 years.  best line from malcolm: "call all hippies boring old farts, and set light to them." [/b]
sorry.  i new it originally came out in 1980, but i saw it reviewed in a may 2005 magazine, touting is as "new to dvd," and assumed it was new to dvd.  they did claim it as a shrine to malcolm . . . but of cource he thought the band itself was that as well.  and i loved his voice at the start of that album.

Bags

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 06:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  According to the PBS website, this won't be showing on any of the three local PBS stations (WETA, MPT, HUT).
What's up with that?!?  I just checked myself (not seeing this post yet...)  Meanwhile Phillie''s airing it THREE times.

Jaguär

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 01:05:00 am »
What the fuck is it with this area!?!?!?! Not only does our radio suck almost as bad as bad can get but now our PBS stations are depriving us! Even most of our college radio stations will only play what the older monied set want rather than what the students themselves want! (Short of very miniscule bandwidths.) What, they have to have yet more James Taylor or something for the local doctors?   :roll:  

We should all bombard them with our complaints, even if we are only minor Ramones fans. Remember, getting this word to them will help us see some of the other music shows that we may be interested in. I myself had planned to record it for weekend watching just in case I missed it. Dag!

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 01:07:00 am »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
 Even most of our college radio stations will only play what the older monied set want rather than what the students themselves want!
i know kosmo is clamoring for more my chemical romance and new found glory, but i think i'd rather have what those monied folks want
(o|o)

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2005, 01:28:00 am »
Well, PBS is good for one thing......shitloads of fucking telethons designed to pull money out of your pocket......fuck 'em.......got plenty of other channels to watch things on.....not one showing in this area.......pathetic......

Jaguär

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2005, 01:46:00 am »
Originally posted by Jonas Grumby:
  Well, PBS is good for one thing......shitloads of fucking telethons designed to pull money out of your pocket......fuck 'em.......got plenty of other channels to watch things on.....not one showing in this area.......pathetic......
That's very true. Even as I posted above I realized that the only programing they are interested in is what the big spenders want to see. So, James Taylor it is! Not for me though. Hoya, didn't know you were a fan.

Don't know why I'm complaining so much though as I almost never, ever watch any kind of television. Better off just buying the DVD. I'm just more concerned with the program issue as the Indie/Alt/Prog/Underground (and I don't mean the fake Mainstream Alt) set often gets shafted in this area. Thank God that we do still have our live shows! And HFS has gotten a tiny bit better but still has light years to go. I can actually listen to it for short periods of time, every few days, if all else fails.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2005, 01:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
just set my tivo ...

Independent Lens
 End of the Century: The Ramones; Joe Strummer Rocks Again
 Saturday, May 14, 8:00pm
 CHANNEL 32 (Howard University Television)
   E-mail reminder

A profile of seminal punk band the Ramones includes concert footage, interviews with group members and clips of bands that influenced them or were influenced by them.

CC, Stereo
(o|o)