Author Topic: SXSW 2007  (Read 4624 times)

eltee

SXSW 2007
« on: December 29, 2006, 01:13:00 pm »
If Coachella is poasted, SXSW talk should begin too...Keynote speaker: Pete Townshend.
 Rickie Lee Jones will speak. No artists announced as of yet, or have they? (Pollstar reflects the Moaners on 15th and 16th)
 I'm probably not attending this year, unless it's decided at the last minute. Will possibly visit in '08 (hotels went even more quickly this year!).

Vas Deferens

Re: SXSW 2007
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 01:59:00 pm »
Here's a good resource for sxsw confirmations:

http://www.donewaiting.com/sxsw/
(_|_)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 02:49:00 pm »
Stooges are supposedly playing SXSW.

Bartelby

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 01:24:00 pm »
Hey, LT, if you decide to go, email me.  I might have a lead on accommodations for you.

Since one just cannot have bad time at SXSW, I'd recommend booking a hotel (outlying hotels still have rooms) prior to band confirmation.  If SXSW housing bureau shows no availability, you might want to call the hotel directly.  Also, Craigslist for Austin has some good apartment/house deals for that week.

Thanks to board suggestion from last year, www.donewaiting.com turned out to have the best info on unofficial day-showcases, and parties.  With an estimate of over 1,000 bands in six days last year, even jaded boardies might find a band or two to enjoy.

lbcardoni

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 07:27:00 pm »
Bloc Party
 3/15

Bags

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 11:52:00 pm »
I've got my flight and hotel booked.  I registered back in September and got a room at the Omni, one of the hotels within a couple blocks of Sixth Street (at this point, hotels for registrants are sold out to the extent that the only availability is 5 miles from the Convention Center -- but, call hotels directly or check Craigslist).  Oooh yes.  And this year it looks like the three days I'm there will have to make up for a lot of shows missed during the rest of the year...

According to the latest monthly newsletter, the following bands are scheduled to appear (though it's the bands I haven't heard of yet that I'm most excited to see):

The Stooges
 Interpol
 Bloc Party
 Lily Allen
 Matt & Kim
 the Watson Twins
 Cold War Kids
 Devin the Dude
 Hoodoo Gurus
 Ghostland
 Observatory
 Stax
 50th Anniversary Soul Review
 Ozomatli
 Turbonegro

eltee

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 01:22:00 pm »

Relaxer

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 01:25:00 pm »
I'm going. My former show buddy moved to Austin and bought a house, so there's my housing right there.

I'm probably most excited about seeing the Stooges, but when Turbonegro takes the stage, I'll be front and center.
oword

Bags

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 02:52:00 pm »
Downtown hotels are completely sold out.  I, however, have three rooms reserved at the Courtyard Marriot -- two queens each, $259/night.  I booked the rooms before I registered and got a hotel through the conference.

If anyone is interested, I'll see if I can transfer rooms.  Otherwise I'm cancelling by February 1st.

East 4th Street
 Austin, Texas 78701
 Phone: 1-512-236-8008

anarchist

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 10:44:00 pm »
is that $259 per room per night?

Bags

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 12:38:00 pm »
Yup, $259/night per room.

If you go through the conference, you could have gotten prices of $180 or so for the downtown tower hotels.  Last year we got rooms at the Austin Marriot for $209 (not through the conference, and I booked them 7 months in advance).

If you're downtown, you don't need to rent a car.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 09:46:00 am »
3.1G bitorrent chocked full of mp3s available now...  a quick glance reveals some tasty choices

little man tate
 the high strung
 mother truckers
 georgie james
 the victorian english men club
 You Am I

http://2007.sxsw.com/toolbox/
T.Rex

Bags

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 02:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo:
 You Am I

Get this...You Am I and Sloan are playing the same time as the Hoodoo Gurus.  Say what?  That is for shit -- shouldn't have to choose between two great Aussie bands!!!!  Gonna have to scour the Day Party schedule for the chance to catch whichever I miss on Friday night...

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 03:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:

You Am I

Get this...You Am I and Sloan are playing the same time as the Hoodoo Gurus.  Say what?  That is for shit -- shouldn't have to choose between two great Aussie bands!!!!  Gonna have to scour the Day Party schedule for the chance to catch whichever I miss on Friday night... [/b]
Dont fret .. You Am I are playing at the Bowery Ballroom towards end of March. I think its right after SXSW so you could always catch them up here. I saw them at Mercury Lounge last time and they were really great. Wish I could see them this time around but I'll be outta town.
HeyLa

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 03:55:00 pm »
What is so special about You Am I? I streamed their new album at the yeproc site, and thought it was terrible. I did like the new Dolorean and Apples in Stereo albums that were there as well. Sloan's wasn't bad.

Originally posted by xneverwherex:

Originally posted by Bags:

You Am I

Get this...You Am I and Sloan are playing the same time as the Hoodoo Gurus.  Say what?  That is for shit -- shouldn't have to choose between two great Aussie bands!!!!  Gonna have to scour the Day Party schedule for the chance to catch whichever I miss on Friday night... [/b]
Dont fret .. You Am I are playing at the Bowery Ballroom towards end of March. I think its right after SXSW so you could always catch them up here. I saw them at Mercury Lounge last time and they were really great. Wish I could see them this time around but I'll be outta town. [/b]