Author Topic: SXSW 2007  (Read 4372 times)

Bags

Re: SXSW 2007
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007, 08:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by xneverwherex:
 Dont fret .. You Am I are playing at the Bowery Ballroom towards end of March. I think its right after SXSW so you could always catch them up here.  
Well, except that I live in DC, not NY.  And right after four days in Austin chances are slim I'll be heading up to NYC to see a band...  I'll watch for a day party announcement.

Bags

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2007, 08:14:00 pm »
I haven't heard the new You Am I.  I have a few albums from the mid/late 90s that evince great memories of my month Down Under.

Why am I answering Steny -- as if he likes 90% of the bands discussed on this Board.

From Allmusic:
 Biography by Ed. Nimmervoll
 Centered around the prolific songwriting skills of singer/guitarist Tim Rogers, pop group You Am I is one of the most successful and internationally admired Australian bands of the '90s. At home, they've scored three number one albums, Sonic Youth and Soundgarden are counted among their admirers, and Silverchair even named themselves after a You Am I song. Their influences combine the Who, the Small Faces, the Jam, the Clash, and the Replacements.

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2007, 09:55:00 pm »
That's because 90% of the stuff discussed on this board is no better than mediocre. At least I'm not a sheep who swallows all the shitty indie that gets thrown my way.

Originally posted by Bags:
  I haven't heard the new You Am I.  I have a few albums from the mid/late 90s that evince great memories of my month Down Under.

Why am I answering Steny -- as if he likes 90% of the bands discussed on this Board.

From Allmusic:
 Biography by Ed. Nimmervoll
 Centered around the prolific songwriting skills of singer/guitarist Tim Rogers, pop group You Am I is one of the most successful and internationally admired Australian bands of the '90s. At home, they've scored three number one albums, Sonic Youth and Soundgarden are counted among their admirers, and Silverchair even named themselves after a You Am I song. Their influences combine the Who, the Small Faces, the Jam, the Clash, and the Replacements.

Bartelby

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2007, 08:26:00 am »
For those looking for party/unofficial day showcases, www.ohmyrockness.com offers a much better formatted list than donewaiting.com.  It prints out better too.

Bags

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2007, 04:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bartelby:
  For those looking for party/unofficial day showcases, www.ohmyrockness.com offers a much better formatted list than donewaiting.com.  It prints out better too.
Thanks, I just got a link to this a couple days ago.  And you are right, good format.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2007, 05:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:

Originally posted by xneverwherex:
 Dont fret .. You Am I are playing at the Bowery Ballroom towards end of March. I think its right after SXSW so you could always catch them up here.  
Well, except that I live in DC, not NY.  And right after four days in Austin chances are slim I'll be heading up to NYC to see a band...  I'll watch for a day party announcement. [/b]
Yes - I do know you live in DC. I meant, as an alternative if you can't catch the show in Austin, that show is still an option in NYC as it hasnt yet sold out. Their last show did sell out and it was supporting their 'new' album, which doesnt seem so new anymore.
HeyLa

Bags

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2007, 05:53:00 pm »
Thanks, xneverx.

I think the idea of SXSW alone makes me feel a bit weary...Hence, NYC soon after seems nigh near impossible.  Although, I could instead come back all rejuvenated and hoping to see a band every night.  No telling!

SPARX

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2007, 08:57:00 pm »
For anyone interested in checking SXSW but not able to go, DirectTV is broadcasting it free on channel 101 from 5 pm til 1 am on the 15th thru the 17th  .
 It'll be interesting to see who makes the cut.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2007, 10:09:00 pm »
wired blogs about SXSW:

Music Documentaries @ SXSW
 A number of music documentaries are premiering at South by Southwest this year that should become available on DVD release to people who aren't here or don't manage to catch them as they wend their ways around their (probably) limited distribution runs.

SXSW Gets It Together Preview-wise
 If you're attending the music portion of SXSW next week here in Austin, the festival's excellent band preview site -- available only at the Austin convention center during show hours -- will spare you the headache of figuring out what to see (and remembering what you decided on).  It picks ten bands at random, letting you preview a few of their songs, read their bio, and click a link that adds the band to your own SXSW calendar.
 blogger's picks: Via Audio, The Twilight Sad
<sig>

eltee

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2007, 01:36:00 pm »
Attendees have had plenty of time to rest. Anyone care to recap?
 Who was the "it" band going in and who came out as the "buzz" band?
 (last year Artic Monkeys created a stir going in, but Editors came out w/ the buzz)

Bags

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2007, 03:23:00 pm »
Will get to it tonight, perhaps.

anarchist

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2007, 09:20:00 pm »
by far sxsw is the best festival in the usa, maybe the world. no more virgin, lolla, all those big crowded festivals. every year i go i am i little hesitant as to what i am going to find.  by the end of sat night i am always amazed.  this yr i got back to the hotel at 3-4 am each night and only got 4-5 hrs of sleep each night.  i never bought a wristband or a badge and was entertained from noon to 3-4am.  punk rock on a pedestrian bridge over the river at 2am with 1000 people, a generator.  no rules, no bouncers, beer and people flying everywhere.  most venues are outdoors so if you can't get in, you can always hear.  the party outside is sometimes better then inside.  go from spindrift + dead meadow at jaimes.  across the street to kings of leon,spoon,stooges at stubbs. down the street to black angels at mohawk.  back to 6th at 2am to find out lee scratch perry still had not gone on at flamingo.  then i find out other people at the flamingo had done the same thing.

Darth Ed

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2007, 11:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by nonameface:
  Attendees have had plenty of time to rest. Anyone care to recap?
 Who was the "it" band going in and who came out as the "buzz" band?
 (last year Artic Monkeys created a stir going in, but Editors came out w/ the buzz)
I don't really need a full recap, but I'd love to hear a couple recommendations for new bands or artists that really impressed the attendees. (Bags, this means you!)