Author Topic: Best Buy "Warranty"  (Read 4583 times)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: Best Buy "Warranty"
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2006, 05:58:00 pm »
They're the biggest ripoff in audio.  People paying for a name and a marketing campaign.    For half the price you'd pay for a bose setup you could get something that sounds two or three times better.  Ever notice how their little listening stations are set up way away from all the other speakers in the store with no way to a/b them?  They don't want you to know their dirty little secret.  Don't buy bose.

I don't think the apple analogy really holds up at all, but that's just me.

End of bose rant.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2006, 06:01:00 pm »
Well, I just went looking for a ram upgrade chip for my Mac.  At Apple's online store, this chip was $300!   I did a little research and found the same chip for $150 elsewhere.   Only difference is the name.  

Another example, Apple's excellently-written marketing copy would make you think that upgrading their OS will change your life, when the only noticeable change is you get "widgets" and a better search function -- both of which Google Desktop can give you for free.

That's what I'm talkin about.  They do the same thing as Bose.
_\|/_

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2006, 06:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by Señor Carlos:
  They're the biggest ripoff in audio.  People paying for a name and a marketing campaign.    For half the price you'd pay for a bose setup you could get something that sounds two or three times better.  Ever notice how their little listening stations are set up way away from all the other speakers in the store with no way to a/b them?  They don't want you to know their dirty little secret.  Don't buy bose.

I don't think the apple analogy really holds up at all, but that's just me.

End of bose rant.
I have to disagree...I think those blokes selling speakers out of the white van are a bigger rip-off than Bose. Sony are just as guilty in heavy marketing and then making the uneducated customer pay a premium for a barely average product.

How about Toyota/Lexus? Now if that's not a classic rip-off I don't know what is.

chaz

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2006, 06:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:
  Well, I just went looking for a ram upgrade chip for my Mac.  At Apple's online store, this chip was $300!   I did a little research and found the same chip for $150 elsewhere.   Only difference is the name.  

Agreed, but this holds true for aftermarket parts for just about anything, whether it be a pc from dell, apple, or a headlight bulb for a VW - which i purchased today - 24 had i gotten it from the dealership and 15 from the autoparts store.

ratioci nation

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2006, 09:51:00 pm »
I guess the fact that I was able to upgrade my receiver 3 times in 5 years at no cost other than the small cost of the service plan was a ripoff.  I rarely buy plans, but if the policy is good and its a high priced item its worth it, sorry to go against all you brilliant know it all board members.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2006, 10:28:00 pm »
to answer the larger question, yes one of my friends with out the '"' has done this, nearly exactly

but yes, extended warranties are terrible
o/\o

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2006, 12:14:00 pm »
Mary J.Bilge

chaz

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2006, 12:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by Surly Bonds:

For DVD's, Sometimes they have extras if you come the first day...like free Cars toys with a the purchace of Cars, the DVD.
Like Christmas in July for Dupek!

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2006, 02:03:00 pm »
My XBOX 360 just stoped working 2 days ago and i had a 2 year warrenty on it. I took it in, explained my situation, and got a new one that day. So i guess i had luck on my side.

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2006, 02:10:00 pm »
Mary J.Bilge

anarchist

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2006, 04:02:00 pm »
can't play bose 901's without that eq.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2007, 11:47:00 am »
Originally posted by pdx pollard:
  I guess the fact that I was able to upgrade my receiver 3 times in 5 years at no cost other than the small cost of the service plan was a ripoff.  I rarely buy plans, but if the policy is good and its a high priced item its worth it, sorry to go against all you brilliant know it all board members.
Obviously high price doesn't necessarily mean high end in this case. (3 times in 5 years...sony perhaps?) Wouldn't you be better off buying a plan on the cheap crap seeing it's likely to break three times in five years.

ratioci nation

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2007, 04:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by Roadbike Mankie:
  Obviously high price doesn't necessarily mean high end in this case. (3 times in 5 years...sony perhaps?) Wouldn't you be better off buying a plan on the cheap crap seeing it's likely to break three times in five years.
none of the problems were things that required replacement, but circuit city never tried to fix anything, they would just give you credit to buy something new, I just don't find it necessary to live my live by such simple rules without treating each situation differently, its not that hard to look in to this crap

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2007, 09:56:00 am »
Originally posted by pdx pollard:

none of the problems were things that required replacement, but circuit city never tried to fix anything, they would just give you credit to buy something new, I just don't find it necessary to live my live by such simple rules without treating each situation differently, its not that hard to look in to this crap [/b]
....when they gave you credit, did you add a few more $$$ to purchase the replacement item?

ratioci nation

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2007, 11:49:00 am »
  ....when they gave you credit, did you add a few more $$$ to purchase the replacement item?
no, the second time the replacement was actually $300 cheaper, so I got to spend that on whatever I wanted in the store, and yes 1 was a sony, but only the one I still have and never replaced