Author Topic: Bob Mould's thread o' positivity  (Read 5568 times)

bearman🐻

Re: Bob Mould's thread o' positivity
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2005, 12:17:00 am »
Hmmmm...someone possibly giving me a run for the money? Well than by all means, rock out we shall. In less than 24 hours I get to see him in Philly  :)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2005, 11:31:00 am »
vh1 classic just played sugar's "helpless" ... great tune ...
(o|o)

Venerable Bede

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2005, 12:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:
  vh1 classic just played sugar's "helpless" ... great tune ...
indeed. . ."hoover dam" is probably my favourite off of copper blue though.  course, when sugar played it live, it was over in like 30 seconds.
OU812

bearman🐻

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2005, 12:30:00 pm »
It doesn't take them too long to get through "Hoover Dam" on this tour...but the ones that they really blast through are "Could You Be the One?", "A Good Idea", and "Makes No Sense At All". I can't friggin' wait for tonight's show at the Troc. Does anyone know if you can bring a camera in? Not necessarily to take photos, but just to have on you for later?

Bags

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2005, 09:02:00 am »
Can anyone tell me about Copeland?

kcjones119

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2005, 09:10:00 am »
They're labelmates of "the other band named cartel"

bryronic

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2005, 09:19:00 am »
i "dogpile"d them and found a video on mtv's site.

bryronic

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2005, 09:20:00 am »
14 hours and counting. i just shined my shoes.

ggw

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2005, 10:06:00 am »
Mould Plans Live DVD, Acoustic Tour
 By Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

To chronicle his first tour with an electric band in seven years, Bob Mould will film a tomorrow's (Oct. 7) show at the 9:30 Club in his Washington, D.C., home for a live DVD. "It will be a seven-camera shoot with the same crew that [drummer] Brendan [Canty] uses for [the live DVD series] 'Burn To Shine,'" Mould told Billboard.com last night (Oct. 5) after his show at New York's Irving Plaza.

The trek, which winds down Oct. 15 in Los Angeles, has found Mould performing everything from Husker Du classics ("Makes No Sense At All," "Celebrated Summer," "Chartered Trips," "I Apologize") to solo cuts ("Egoverride," "See a Little Light") and songs from his sting fronting rock trio Sugar ("A Good Idea," "Changes," "If I Can't Change Your Mind," "The Act We Act").

Mould is also playing a healthy dose of his new album, "Body of Song," released in late July via Yep Roc. The set, which features Fugazi drummer Canty on drums, debuted at No. 22 on Billboard's Heatseekers chart.

Having rocked out for the past month, Mould will take some time off before returning the road for an 11-date acoustic tour that gets underway Nov. 11 in Cleveland.

Here are Bob Mould's acoustic dates:

Nov. 11: Cleveland (Grog Shop)
 Nov. 12: Indianapolis (Vogue)
 Nov. 13: Madison, Wis. (Stage Door)
 Nov. 15: Milwaukee, Wis. (Shank Hall)
 Nov. 16: Ann Arbor, Mich. (the Ark)
 Nov. 18: Louisville, Ky. (Headliners)
 Nov. 19: Columbus, Ohio (Little Brother's)
 Nov. 25: Annapolis, Md. (Ram's Head Tavern
 Nov. 29: Alexandria, Va. (Birchmere)
 Dec. 2: Philadelphia (North Star)
 Dec. 3: Brooklyn, N.Y. (North Six)

Bags

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2005, 12:29:00 pm »
October 7, 2005

A Punk Adventurer Returns in Both Old and New Form

By JON PARELES
 The New York Times

Bob Mould was still a teenager in 1979, when his trio Husker Du played its first performance. By the mid-1980's, the band's melodic roar and Mr. Mould's frayed, exasperated, adamant voice had pointed the way toward both grunge and emo. Mr. Mould's next band, Sugar, continued to use Husker Du's old blare, but more recently Mr. Mould, 44, has tried to pull away from that sound: performing solo on acoustic guitar and, in the studio, toying with electronic sounds.

Yet neither his audience nor his ear will let him give up the electric guitar. At Irving Plaza on Wednesday night, he was back in a black T-shirt, leading a band through new and old songs with the old amplified roar.

The set dug into Mr. Mould's latest album, "Body of Song" (Yep Roc), along with half the songs from Sugar's 1992 album, "Copper Blue" (Rykodisc). Perhaps he was self-conscious about reclaiming his old sound; he opened the set with a Sugar song, "The Act We Act," which muses, "The act we act is wearing thin/ I think we wear it out again."

As he did with Sugar, Mr. Mould mixes guitars and keyboards in his new songs, particularly the swelling psychedelic drone of "I Am Vision, I Am Sound." His band includes Richard Morel on keyboards, recreating parts Mr. Mould played on the album. But with Brendan Canty (from Fugazi) on drums and Jason Narducy on bass and harmony vocals, many of the songs harked back to the power-trio impact of Husker Du, and the sound and songs hadn't worn thin at all.

That's because Mr. Mould was hardly naïve to begin with. "Walking around with your head in the clouds makes no sense at all," he declared in the Husker Du song he used as a final encore, and his songs, old and new, are filled with failing romances and other disappointments he's determined to overcome.

The songs are also built on punk simplicity and pop tunefulness: just three or four chords supporting well-shaped melodies. Mr. Mould is a skillful lead guitarist; he played barbed, Celtic-tinged lines in "Hoover Dam," and bits of jabbing hard rock elsewhere. But punk economy reigned. Most songs didn't bother with solos at all, and he often played two or three without a pause.

Mr. Mould's newer songs have more to reflect on, and they aren't in the rush that Husker Du's songs often were. He allowed himself a ballad now and then. But slowing down was a choice; Mr. Mould sounded perfectly at home when the music revved up to punk speed and his voice rose to match it. He probably won't keep playing this kind of music forever; he's clearly fascinated by other approaches. But many of his fans wouldn't mind if he did.

bearman🐻

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2005, 12:59:00 pm »
The Philly show was more polished than Chicago. Vocals were more up front, it was definitely the kind of show a band would do if they were being courted by a major label because it showed how darn musical those songs are. Chicago was more punk rock, fiery, and fun. Not that last night wasn't enjoyable...it was just wasn't as raw. That being said, tonight should be a blast.

h8paperdoll

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2005, 01:29:00 pm »
Well, I guess my name make's it obvious, but my favorites:

Flip Your Wig
 Copper Blue
 Zen Arcade
 Black Sheets...
 New Day Rising
 Beaster
 Warehouse
 F.U.E.L.
 Body of Song

Favorite songs? (no order)

Divide and Conquer
 The Slim
 Wishing Well
 Here Me Calling
 Stop Your Crying
 Explode and Make Up

Saw him many times w/Sugar (1st time being at the old Max's on Broadway in Fells, before Copper was released...VERY loud!), during the Last Dog and Pony, and a few acoustic shows.  I gotta make it down for the show tonight.  Nice to see it will be made into a DVD though!

dlcjr1775

« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2005, 02:42:00 am »
Saw the show tonite, another great one from Mr. Mould...loved the confetti...he actually looked happy for most of the set...opened with "The Act We Act", ended with "The Man On The Moon", looked like a punker during most of the Husker Du stuff, overall I was very impressed

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2005, 03:33:00 am »
Actually, it ended with Stepping Stone, with some unknown guest drummer.   :)

bearman🐻

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2005, 08:59:00 am »
I'll chime in with my thoughts since I got to see a few shows on the tour. For me, it was the most fun, but when you combine all of the factors that made last night so good, it only proves why the 9:30 Club is still the best place to see a show (and no, I'm not just saying that because a certain guest drummer might be reading this). Sure, it was a hometown crowd for 3/4 of the band, but I've seen bands play their hometown before and phone it in. Sometimes they're great, other times it's a joke. But last night was probably the best I've seen Bob play with a band. The crowd was by far the most animated, and after having heard the band in different clubs, I can safely say that it was at the 9:30 that the stengths of everyone in the band finally meshed perfectly (at least from where I was standing). Not to mention that the band just rocked the hell out and Bob's performance was one where he gave 200%. It was fun to see the usual Blowoff suspects, and I've got to say that it was a terrific bargain of an evening too. Copeland did absolutely nothing for me...apparently they're even a Christian-type band. Eeeewwww...  Anyway, all in all, last night was a blast, and I can't wait to see the DVD. I got filmed rocking out like a dork during "Could You Be the One?", but if I make it into a Bob Mould DVD, I suppose that would be pretty cool.  ;)