Author Topic: Forum Business: A different take.  (Read 10500 times)

thirsty moore

Re: Forum Business: A different take.
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2005, 02:51:00 pm »
drummy drummy drummy.

muschi

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2005, 02:52:00 pm »
i dunno but all this talk about talking is getting tiresome. i cant rmemeber the last new original or interesting substantial contribution to this board since i came back to it last week in a drunken stupor after anesthethetizing myself from the wrath of the Mockinbirds band. maybe like being attracted to ugly ppl when u r drunk i was likewise attracted to this board. ha but im nolonger drunk. [note to self: think i need to keep a lil nip btl in my desk drawer]

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2005, 02:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by Xavier Bush, Power Forward:

I mean, if some asshole is talking loudly on his cell phone an waving a cigarette at a show, at most I'm going to politely ask him to stop. Whereas if I were operating in the chatboard world, I would tell him he's an asshole for carrying a cell phone and a self hating douchebag for smoking cigarettes.

i saw something like that at the snow patrol show at the 9:30. guy tells girl to 'shut the fuck up', more politely of course, and chick decides she should try and start a fight with the guy. now i will say it was pure entertainment, aside from the fact she disrupted my snow patrol enjoyment.

if people are that rude in person, surely its not all that different online. or perhaps that chick is one of the users here   :D
HeyLa

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2005, 03:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by Shadrach:
 My suggestion: ignore them.
How about an Ignore Username feature?  I've seen it in action on a couple of other bboards.  You merely select the user(s) you wish to ignore...and their poasts never appear on your screen again.  It's beautiful.  I know of a couple of users I'd select to ignore in a New York minute.

BTW, I suggested this awhile back.  Haven't you had enough time to chew this idea over in your very big brain?

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2005, 03:25:00 pm »
  I still don't see why we must equate this or any internet chatboard with real life.
because it is real life.  there are real people on the other end of each of those names.  you are communicating with people.  as such, you should use the same judgement you would use in a face to face conversation.

Perhaps you folks who have been on this and every other internet board for the last 12 years have allowed the internet to take over your life, or let the internet bleed too much into your real life. Lighten up!!!

perhaps you folks that have not been around as long should learn from the experiences of those who have, and act like decent human beings when interacting with other human beings.

As far as the "abuse of newbies"...that's the way it goes in our society.
this ain't your society.  this is the club's webpage.  if one guest in my house is rude to another, i'm going to ask them to leave.  same rules apply here.

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2005, 03:34:00 pm »
  Can't argue with you on that one. However, do you really think the forum drums up all that much business for the 9:30 Club? I would think it's the bands that are drumming up the business. Or the advertising in the Post or City Paper. Surely many, many more people read the advertisements than bother to read/post on the internet board?
what about all of the posts that everyone complains about every time there's a presale, or a big pop show?  where are those people looking for information?  seems to me that they are coming right here.

when i'm looking for information about a band, or a show, or a venue, the first thing i do is check their webpage.  do i take the time to join their fora and post?  not usually.  but i do go and look around.  the url of this site is in all of our ads and mailings, and bands link to our site from theirs constantly.  this place (the site as a whole) has become a major source of information.  

i don't have any statistics for this site's traffic, but a usenet newsgroup i used to frequent averaged about 50,000 lurkers to maybe 100 regular posters.  i don't think our numbers are that high, but it shows that there are usually way more people reading than posting.  if even a small fraction of the people that read the site leave with a bad taste in their mouth, it's too many for me.

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2005, 03:49:00 pm »
Congratulations, you officially sound like your dad.   :p  

Originally posted by thatguy:

this ain't your society.  this is the club's webpage.  if one guest in my house is rude to another, i'm going to ask them to leave.  same rules apply here. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Sir HC

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2005, 04:07:00 pm »
Since many here know others here in real life, it *does* flow as real life.  You really torque someone here you may well see them at a show and maybe get bitchslapped.

helicon1

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2005, 04:20:00 pm »
A band I'm very familiar with (playing the 930 in a couple weeks) SHUT DOWN their forum because of constant negative energy. They felt it would affect potential sales from new listeners/browsers who visited the site for information of their new album.

thatguy and 930 could shut this forum down in very short notice. I suggest you play by the rules so we don't lose a good thing.

lionforce5

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2005, 08:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by thatguy:

I still don't see why we must equate this or any internet chatboard with real life.
because it is real life.  there are real people on the other end of each of those names.  you are communicating with people.  as such, you should use the same judgement you would use in a face to face conversation.

Perhaps you folks who have been on this and every other internet board for the last 12 years have allowed the internet to take over your life, or let the internet bleed too much into your real life. Lighten up!!!

perhaps you folks that have not been around as long should learn from the experiences of those who have, and act like decent human beings when interacting with other human beings.

this ain't your society.  this is the club's webpage.  if one guest in my house is rude to another, i'm going to ask them to leave.  same rules apply here. [/b]
Wins my vote for post of the month.  Seriously, is it really so hard to act like a real person on the internet?

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2005, 07:16:00 am »
my suggestion would simply be that if someone becomes personally abusive, they get bounced

it's one thing to talk about why you don't like a band...it's another to put someone down for liking them...which is sort of like homophobes decrying gays

on the other hand, whatever you want to say about me or the club is fine...bring it on

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2005, 08:06:00 am »
Is this really that big of a deal?  Thatguy simply reminded us to try and be a little nicer to newbies and we've got all these people (well mostly Rhett) saying "why should I?" like a bunch of freaking 12 year olds.  Jeez.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2005, 08:27:00 am »
Originally posted by Seth Hurwitz:
  on the other hand, whatever you want to say about me or the club is fine...bring it on
I think the question on all of our minds would have to be: is your mother fair game?

Guiny

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2005, 08:38:00 am »
Oh God   :roll:

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2005, 08:45:00 am »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee:
  Oh God    :roll:  
I'm just asking. If he says no, I won't go there.