Author Topic: Modest Mouse release tomorrow.  (Read 5319 times)

Bags

Re: Modest Mouse release tomorrow.
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2004, 09:58:00 am »

jkeisenh

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2004, 09:04:00 am »
Gosh I like that Joe Heim, who, unlike other Washington Post music reporters who shall remain unnamed, writes reviews of both albums and relevant shows.

Here are his thoughts on Modest Mouse's Good News for People Who Like Bad News.

grotty

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2004, 09:21:00 am »
I did something for this CD that I haven't for quite some time. I actually gave it a dedicated 'test drive'. Sitting down, reading the lyrics, really listening to every song. [I need to do this more often!]

If I was Rhett, I'd give this record an initial 8.0 big balls rating. And I suspect the balls may get even larger.

Standout tracks for me:
 *Bury Me With It
 *Satin in a Coffin
 and the record's finest moment:
 *Blame it on the Tetons.

skonster

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2004, 09:40:00 am »
And while we're at it, here's the onion AV club interview with Modest Mouse (ok, Isaac Brock):

http://www.theavclub.com/feature/index.php?issue=4014

Bags

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2004, 11:37:00 am »
It's like someone at the Post read our David Segal thread.... review of Modest Mouse in today's print edition.

Listening to Modest Mouse's major-label CDs, the just-released "Good News for People Who Love Bad News" and 2000's "The Moon and Antarctica," even the most die-hard indie loyalist would be pressed to make the sellout charge stick. The recent efforts represent the band at its best, challenging itself and responding with some of the most interesting songs and captivating music being made by an American group in the past five years.

grotty

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2004, 12:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  It's like someone at the Post read our David Segal thread.... review of Modest Mouse in today's print edition.

Listening to Modest Mouse's major-label CDs, the just-released "Good News for People Who Love Bad News" and 2000's "The Moon and Antarctica," even the most die-hard indie loyalist would be pressed to make the sellout charge stick. The recent efforts represent the band at its best, challenging itself and responding with some of the most interesting songs and captivating music being made by an American group in the past five years.
I agree with all of that. I think this CD will be in pretty heavy rotation for me over the summer.

redsock

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2004, 12:49:00 pm »
I really like Float On Markie...but it does sound like a Stellastarr*, or at least some of it does. Hey Pollard, since you are in non-review mode, hows about hooking a brother up ala mountain  goats?

redsock

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2004, 12:50:00 pm »
Oh, and they are playing Float On on HFS now...if Besy Buy didn't scare you enough.

Bags

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2004, 05:10:00 pm »
Check out the video for Float On here....

The following is extracted from the super-creative treatment for Modest Mouse's "Float On" video, directed by Christopher Mills:

"Two vultures sit clenched atop the wires of a giant hydro tower. One of them is suddenly electrocuted by a surge. As he falls, we follow him down into a meadow of Poppies where we join a group of boisterous, carefree 'slacker sheep' (who bear a slight resemblance to each of the members of Modest Mouse)...They pass an opening in the forest, where a glistening stream calls out to them. They throw caution to the wind and decide to go take a dip. An underwater sequence ensues..."

jkeisenh

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2004, 11:40:00 am »
My college paper's review is so much more hard-core than the Post review.

neener,neener.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2004, 11:45:00 am »
why the heck is it in all italics? hurty eyes
o/\o

jkeisenh

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2004, 02:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  why the heck is it in all italics? hurty eyes
Just tilt your head to the side and it will look like it's straight, ok?

Bags

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2004, 12:10:00 am »
Damn this album is getting a lot of press....article link

April 11, 2004

The Mouse Still Roars
 By KELEFA SANNEH
 The New York Times

ots of the best indie-rock bands aren't really bands at all. They're alter egos or solo acts or traveling support systems for singer-songwriters. Cat Power is another name for Chan Marshall, Destroyer consists solely of Daniel Bejar; Dolorean is Al James and friends, the Decemberists are Colin Meloy and friends. And on a beautiful new album called "Bonnie `Prince' Billy Sings Greatest Palace Music," Will Oldham lets his alter ego, Bonnie "Prince" Billy, interpret the work of his one-man-band, Palace Music.

In a subculture ruled by armies of one, the veteran indie-rock act Modest Mouse seems more than a little out of place: it's a band in name and in fact. The group's leader, Isaac Brock, flirted with autonomy in 2002, when he released an uneven solo CD credited to Ugly Casanova. But now comes "Good News for People Who Love Bad News" (Sony), which proves this band has outlasted its era; "Good News" is the best Modest Mouse album yet.

Modest Mouse was formed in Issaquah, Wash., outside Seattle, and the band prospered during the dark ages after Nirvana and before the Strokes, when underground rock went back underground. The group's 1997 album, "The Lonesome Crowded West," was a knotty, exhilarating collection designed to ward off casual listeners and reward patient ones. Somehow, the album earned the band a major-label contract, but if the executives thought they had signed a great band that would conquer the charts, they were only half right.

It's been four years since the last Modest Mouse album and it seems the members have taken up an unlikely hobby: they've been listening to the Talking Heads. The album's lead single, "Float On," is the greatest song David Byrne never yelped. Mr. Brock delivers the lyrics in frantic little bursts ("I. Backed. My. Car. In. To. A. Cop car. The other. Day/ Well he just drove off, sometimes life's O.K."), as if trying in vain to resist the fierce undertow of the backbeat.

This group has always excelled at density, but "Good News" is a marvel of lightness. Eric Judy's chewy bass lines, which often provide the melody, nudge the songs ever upward and outward, and Dann Gallucci adds glimmering atomized guitar chords. "One Chance," one of the album's last songs, starts with a gentle, tangled guitar riff, which builds and then unexpectedly disappears, leaving only a meandering bass line to accompany Mr. Brock as he sighs the lyrics.

Bands with only one voting member often find a specialty and stick to it: if the leader excels at writing pretty, sorrowful songs, then that's all you'll hear. Modest Mouse, on the other hand, gallops through backwoods stomps and new-wave ballads and one snappish dance-punk track. At the same time, the album is full of echoing phrases ("The days get longer" in one song, "Life gets longer" in another; "good news" morphs into "good times" and "good luck") that make each song sound like part of the same cracked story.

In "Bury Me With It," Mr. Brock slips into character as a man whose time has passed, barking, "Well, the suit got tight and it split at the seams/ But I kept it out of habit and I kept it real clean/ But if it's getting faded, if it's running out of thread / Could you do this for me my friend?/ And please just please! / Bury me with it." Time and trends have conspired to turn him into the old-fashioned crank he has always pretended to be â?? he seems happy to celebrate his own obsolescence, and happier still that he doesn't have to do it alone.