Author Topic: Roll Call: Skinny Puppy  (Read 4173 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Roll Call: Skinny Puppy
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2004, 10:00:00 am »
yikes... i guess their brand of violence is more acceptable   :eek:
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2004, 10:19:00 am »
did you know that insane clown posse are creative and not violet or stupid? <mind if i hurl>
T.Rex

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2004, 10:29:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  did you know that insane clown posse are creative and not violet or stupid? <mind if i hurl>
I don't know who is dumber. ICP or their fans.

Isn't ICP the only band to be banned from ever playing the 930 Club?

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

Ikarus

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2004, 04:26:00 pm »
i'm pretty sure retardo-bot 2000 is also banned.

vansmack

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2004, 04:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by MindCage:
  This is just...wow. I hope they've got some protestors at the show outside! lol

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
Classic, I love it!  Though I could only stomach the first page, I'd imagine it got a lot worse.

"Those SP guys are too violent.  We should slash them all up with knives and shit down there throats."

Ok, that's one way to deal with violence.
27>34

Guiny

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2004, 05:28:00 pm »
Wow, now I really feel like going to the show. Kick me some protester @ss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flawd101

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2004, 07:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by MindCage:
  This is just...wow. I hope they've got some protestors at the show outside! lol

MindCage
 Mindless Faith

Deep6 Productions
i agree with what vansmack said.

these are the people who ruin america.  but I do now want to go......hopefully i will.....

mozumder

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2004, 02:35:00 pm »
I'll be flying down from toronto for Skinny Puppy...

Jaguär

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2004, 02:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by flawd101:
   but I do now want to go......hopefully i will.....
Flawd, you really should try to go. They are pretty good and I think that even you would like them....a lot.     ;)

Personally, besides Skinny Puppy, I'd love to see Tweaker.

anna _donia

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2004, 03:50:00 pm »
does anyone know if cameras are allowed at tonites skinny puppy show?

Got Haggis?

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2004, 04:00:00 pm »
THIS JUST IN.

MINISTRY AND SKINNY PUPPY TO TOUR TOGETHER THIS FALL.

Ministry's War on Bush

Industrial vets' "Houses" targets White House

So claims Al Jourgensen, frontman for the legendary industrial-metal band Ministry. And he's not lying. The group's new record, Houses of the Molé (released today), is a nine-track assault on everything George W. Bush, from the straight-talking, thrashy opening track "No W" all the way through the brooding, artsy finale "Worm." Even the album title is a slap at the Oval Office.
 "We like tipping our hits to classic rock, so why not [Led Zeppelin's] Houses of the Holy?" says Jourgensen, laughing. "Besides, I live in Texas, and molé is a way of life down here. It's a brown, Mexican chocolate sauce that suspiciously looks like crude oil. And with the appetite of this administration for that, I just thought it all fit together."

Musically, the album harkens back to the speedier, angrier days of Ministry's breakthrough record, 1992's Psalm 69. However, there are some noticeable differences, including the absence of long-time collaborator Paul Barker, who had been the co-writer and bassist for the band since 1987.

Jourgensen won't get into details, but he's clearly happy running the show alone. "It's all good," he says. "But it just became like a marriage. After eighteen years the sex gets a little boring. It was time to change positions, so to speak."

Houses also marks Jourgensen's first extended period of good health in years. The singer had been known for his drug exploits and escapades in the past, which included an infamous 1995 raid on his property by Texas lawmen snooping for drugs (no arrests were made). "I've been clean for a few years," he says. "Before that, I was a walking coma. I couldn't deliver our albums faster because I was working on 'dealer standard time,' which is six months behind everyone else."

The clean bill of health is good news for Ministry fans, who will get to see the band enter its most productive phase in years. First up, the group's long-running side project, the industrial-party band the Revolting Cocks, will release a new album by year's end. "We do a cover of 'Purple Haze' called 'Purple Head,'" says Jourgensen. "It's very juvenile delinquent, misogynist and everything you'd expect in a Revolting Cocks record."

Ministry will also start a tour with Skinny Puppy on Labor Day, tied in to the Punkvoter.com organization. "Our goal is to register 100,000 kids on the tour," says Jourgensen. "I'll do anything to entice them: sign autographs, give blowjobs, whatever." The Punkvoter shows will run up to the November 9th election.

Jourgensen has become a Punkvoter favorite, contributing a track to the organization's Rock Against Bush album and going on NPR on the group's behalf. His efforts appear to not have gone unnoticed by the other side.

"All these Republican web sites have my picture next to Michael Moore," he says. "So I'm taking that as a real compliment."

KIRK MILLER
 (Posted Jun 21, 2004)

bhunt70

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2004, 07:41:00 pm »
Awesome show for anyone who got to see it, still great after all these years.

http://www.returntothepit.com/concert.php?date=2004-06-19

(click the skinny puppy link)

here are some pics from the boston show, they are very similar in look and style to the show last night.

snailhook

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2004, 08:13:00 pm »
i couldn't pay too much attention because i was working, which meant running around the club for the whole set since it was so packed and hot. they sounded great for the first 20 minutes, but it got increasingly monotonous and grating as the set wore on. skinny puppy sounded like a band that is influenced by nine inch nails and ministry, rather than the band that  influenced  NIN and ministry. not a whole lot of subtlety, but i suppose that isn't the point. i thought the neubauten show in april was a lot more inspiring and interesting.

however, SP's stage show was pretty awesome, as it was ridiculously over-the-top: blinding strobes, dark colorful lights, fake blood, graphic video imagery, and oghr going apeshit. they were also louder than a 747 taking off. i'm not that into SP, but if i was, i'd have been way into the show.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2004, 08:23:00 am »
I was lied too dammit!!! There were signs posted outside that it was going to be extremely loud. I was waiting to hear a kick drum cave in my bird-like chest like at Ministry 5 years ago.  I didn't think the volume of Skinny Puppy was any different than just about any other show I've seen at the club.  :(  

I thought the show was awesome though! Great visuals, incredible sound (despite the lack of EXTREME volume), and Justin from Professional Murder Music on drums was rockin! I could have done with more older tracks, but having a 3 song encore was nice.

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

flawd101

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2004, 12:10:00 am »
i wanted to go but had to entertain my "grandmother" at rainforest cafe...i hate the bitch but the resturant was cool.  i like some of their songs but the rest are annoying and sound like intros.