Author Topic: Vinyl isn't dead yet...  (Read 259860 times)

vansmack

Re: Vinyl isn't dead yet...
« Reply #420 on: January 25, 2019, 01:12:19 pm »
What's a CD?  Do we need a new thread to explain this new fangled technology?
27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #421 on: January 25, 2019, 01:32:52 pm »
Consumer directed care is where a Medicaid recipient, instead of going through a company or a registry, hires their caregiver directly and CMS reimburses. You can usually still monetize it by charging finders-fees and doing the required 90-day nursing supervisory visits, though.
LVMH

« Reply #422 on: January 25, 2019, 02:48:37 pm »
I thought this was the definition : a certificate issued by a bank to a person depositing money for a specified length of time.
slack

hutch

« Reply #423 on: January 25, 2019, 03:11:16 pm »
Even as a vinyl enthusiast I still enjoy thinking of the glory days of the cd...I was at ground zero...Japan

By 85 I was in Silicon Valley

It’s hard to imagine but there was a time cds where hot and they cost $16 ...and it was 30 years ago.,,I wonder what the purchasing power equivalent is today

Not to mention the longbox

Ah good times

The cd was exciting back then.,.even sexy

In japan you went to the big 10 floor department section and the sound floor blew you away...rows and rows of the first cds ever made...big screen TVs...laserdiscs everywhere blasting things like never ending story...everything expensive but cutting edge
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 03:16:10 pm by hutch »

hutch

« Reply #424 on: January 25, 2019, 03:23:39 pm »
Actually in Japan cds were about $30 ..about $80 in today’s money for that Billy Joel cd!

And people gladly paid it

Crazy
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 03:28:30 pm by hutch »

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #425 on: January 25, 2019, 03:49:41 pm »
I first read about the CD in a 1980 High Fidelity article about competing digital formats. To me, the CD was by far the most well-thought-out format and I picked it to be the eventual winner. It wasn't that I was being particularly smart; almost anybody with interest in audio formats would have done the same.
😐 🎶

hutch

« Reply #426 on: January 27, 2019, 02:21:35 pm »
Man that is the second or third dc record fair in a row that has left a lot to be desired

It’s now mainly ripoff artists ...people selling zep 4 for $40 don’t do it for me

It used to be worth it despite bad lighting and the huge crowd that makes it such a pain but if there are so few finds it’s hardly worth it any more....

dyecraig

« Reply #427 on: January 27, 2019, 04:18:18 pm »
I lasted just under an hour. Picked up a Michigan and Smiley LP, Cynthia Connolly was really nice and signed a copy of Banned in DC and bought a Smash t-shirt for wifey. Too dark too crowded too many crap records for way too much. I'll pass next time. So many cooler and smaller shows at the breweries, pop-ups, etc.

hutch

« Reply #428 on: January 27, 2019, 04:30:59 pm »
Yeah I think this was my final one...it’s now an event to rip off hipsters that don’t know any better....I found myself wandering around thinking “what am I doing here?”

The bad light is a killer not sure why organizers don’t care and keep going back....

I saw some truly laughable prices...$200!for a Floyd bootleg!

The decline started a while ago but now it’s just too much

TheREALHunter

« Reply #429 on: January 27, 2019, 06:53:53 pm »
I was on the fence about attending and started heading in that direction but on the way stopped at CD Cellar and dropped a bill there so I figured I'd go home before potentially spending any more...also figured it would be crowded with shitty lighting so thanks for the feedback to confirm what I was already thinking and making me feel better about missing it.

hutch

« Reply #430 on: January 28, 2019, 10:40:00 am »
Listening to my scores I guess I did better than I thought....

The Elis Regina and Delroy Wilson are good pickups...the Mingus is a nice original six eye even if cover is messed up...paid about $65 total...but man was there a lot of overpriced garbage there

« Reply #431 on: February 28, 2019, 05:34:21 pm »
record store day line up

Highlights include vinyl editions of Robyn’s 2010 album Body Talk, Death Grips’ “Steroids (Crouching Tiger Hidden Gabber Megamix),” Bob Dylan’s Blood on the Tracks: Original New York Test Pressing, Soccer Mommy’s 2016 release For Young Hearts, Weezer’s Teal Album and Dusty Gems and Raw Nuggets, and Moses Sumney’s Black in Deep Red, 2014.

Additional releases include new music from the Flaming Lips, Julien Baker, Courtney Barnett, Jeff Tweedy, and Broken Social Scene. There will also be vinyl releases for the soundtracks of “Twin Peaks,” Bohemian Rhapsody, “Breaking Bad,” “The Sopranos,” and Spider-Man™: Into the Spider-Verse, as well as a vinyl compilation from Marc Maron’s “WTF” podcast.

slack

hutch

« Reply #432 on: February 28, 2019, 05:46:15 pm »
I want the Bob Dylan artifact

dyecraig

« Reply #433 on: March 18, 2019, 09:44:16 am »
Red Onion is closing up shop soon and will be reopening in Hyattsville in the fall.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #434 on: March 18, 2019, 11:09:53 am »
Ex Hex, buy the record, free In-Store performance
Crooked Beat Records, Alexandria
Sunday March 24
First 50 purchasers only
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvCwNBoBdZQ/