Author Topic: Vinyl isn't dead yet...  (Read 265028 times)

StoneTheCrow

Re: Vinyl isn't dead yet...
« Reply #630 on: August 25, 2021, 03:37:26 pm »
Very frustrating to have established acts reissue and “remaster” their back catalog over and over and over again. At ridiculous prices.

But there must be a market for it. Right?

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #631 on: August 25, 2021, 03:43:08 pm »
There are always dupes who go for "collector's items", when its really just mass-produced garbage. I include myself in this crowd, on occasion. But it has to be extra-special mass-produced garbage.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #632 on: August 25, 2021, 03:44:48 pm »
Like for instance, Waxahatchee is selling a Lilac LP of St Cloud, but it's only available at the merch table on tour. I'm not even sure I have a working turntable, but....

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #633 on: August 25, 2021, 03:58:04 pm »
there are definitely issues with new issues as well: when the avett bros. released a new record recently there were 9 or so variants. the completist/hoarders "Needed" to buy all 9.

Bazan was lamenting that his next record will take another many months to come out, becauses of the backlog.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #634 on: August 25, 2021, 04:01:17 pm »
Buying new vinyl seems a mugs game and it seems increasingly impossible for an independent artist to get them timely pressed… up to a year and ever increasing manufacturing costs

an independent artist that i follow (Ott) recently tweeted that his new album is completed, mastered, and ready to share... but his vinyl pressing has been moved for the third time, to march 2022, and he honestly expects it to be moved again.  before the pandemic he typically had a 2-3 month delay between completing an album and having vinyl to sell.  now it's looking like it'll be over a year.  the funny/annoying aspect of his situation is that back in the winter he reserved a pressing date in september and he rushed to get the album completed in time... only to be told he now has more time.  nice.
<sig>

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #635 on: August 25, 2021, 04:21:32 pm »
What's more, the pressing problems that plagued vinyl in the 70s and 80s have come back full force. Lots of noisy, crap vinyl, warped, off center, etc. Just like it was when CDs hit the market and gave people plenty of reason to convert.
😐 🎶

Starsky

« Reply #636 on: August 25, 2021, 04:40:11 pm »
Yeah lots of annoying things about vinyl these days… you do wonder why record companies charge so much almost like they prefer selling a very limited small run at a high price than selling a lot more volume at a lower price….maybe it has to do with not being able to get stuff pressed?

One question I have is why isn’t more capacity coming online? Maybe potential investors think it’s just a fad?

Then there is the whole issue of lacquers which I don’t understand…supposedly the only American plant burnt down a few years ago?

a lot of these records are poorly pressed, straight from digital etc.  I would argue new vinyl is much worse in terms of pressing quality than in the 1970s

I guess it’s a combination of young people who spend more disposable income, older higher income earners and people buying records as gifts? I mean if a beer is $10 then I guess $35 for a record isn’t bad?

But then there are the box sets which definitely cater to older people…these sets are often just pure cash ins and cost $75 and up and will end up sitting on a shelf

All I know is my local record store is packed!

And don’t get me started on people who collect the eight diff color variants

I sometimes pay a lot but it’s usually something like an original rare Gainsbourg LP from the 60s… something I have wanted for years and given up on ever finding cheap

Or if it’s a reissue and I find it online cheap I will buy it… I got a Gainsbourg reissue recently for $8 plus $4 shipping… But it’s almost a forgery in my eyes… still I just gave up on getting an original which would cost $300 or something

I am fortunate I started collecting vinyl a long time ago… it used to be fun to walk out with a big stack for $20…

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #637 on: August 25, 2021, 04:42:08 pm »
What's more, the pressing problems that plagued vinyl in the 70s and 80s have come back full force. Lots of noisy, crap vinyl, warped, off center, etc.
This is true. Just spitballing here, but what if instead of vinyl or plastic etching, we made records out of some sort of magnetic cellophane tape that could be played with some sort of special electromagnetic "needle"? This would be easier to produce, have more controllable quality, and potentially be easier to transport. Why are none of the big vinyl manufacturers R&Ding this sort of tech?
LVMH

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #638 on: August 26, 2021, 01:45:18 pm »
If the industry decided to create another format I’d probably just stick with digital for new releases.

I agree that QC has become a problem for vinyl. And I really don’t get why people collect color variants of the same record. But, then, I’m not materialistic.

« Reply #639 on: August 26, 2021, 01:47:12 pm »
If the industry decided to create another format I’d probably just stick with digital for new releases.

I agree that QC has become a problem for vinyl. And I really don’t get why people collect color variants of the same record. But, then, I’m not materialistic.
but we are living in a material world
slack

« Reply #640 on: August 26, 2021, 01:48:28 pm »
What's more, the pressing problems that plagued vinyl in the 70s and 80s have come back full force. Lots of noisy, crap vinyl, warped, off center, etc.
This is true. Just spitballing here, but what if instead of vinyl or plastic etching, we made records out of some sort of magnetic cellophane tape that could be played with some sort of special electromagnetic "needle"? This would be easier to produce, have more controllable quality, and potentially be easier to transport. Why are none of the big vinyl manufacturers R&Ding this sort of tech?
I'm really kind of sad that no one found this funny.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #641 on: August 26, 2021, 01:58:22 pm »

it was OK, but kinda meddling... not your best work, but we'll let it slide.
<sig>

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #642 on: August 26, 2021, 02:46:16 pm »

I larfed, to myself though. and then looked at the 2 copies (one black, one red) of the Fountains of Wayne -  Welcome Interstate Managers records, and confirmed that i am the problem.

Starsky

« Reply #643 on: August 26, 2021, 03:23:34 pm »
I don’t get the joke julian

Sorry

« Reply #644 on: August 26, 2021, 03:32:32 pm »
I don’t get the joke julian

Sorry
My proposed “revolutionary technological improvement” to vinyl records is basically cassette tapes.
LVMH