Author Topic: Vinyl isn't dead yet...  (Read 259815 times)

killsaly

Re: Vinyl isn't dead yet...
« Reply #120 on: January 08, 2016, 01:51:02 pm »
That's supposed to be a special edition while a mass-produced version will come out later, price unknown.
I did not mean to imply that it was their only upcoming product.   

« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2016, 10:56:54 am »
The Vinyl Deception: Records are not as big as you think: Vinyl has risen from the dead over the last nine years, under the guise of superior audio quality and the full package of liner notes. ...

I believe we?re giving records a lot more credit than they?re due. The reason: they are never played.

The Vinyl Revival is sucking the life and fun out of music collecting.
The upcoming younger audience of vinyl customers do not buy them to listen to. Vinyl falls into human's psychological urge to collect things
slack

vansmack

« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2016, 03:28:16 pm »
It actually hasn't even started yet....

HBO's 'Vinyl' Series Soundtrack to Feature Otis Redding, Sturgill Simpson, David Johansen & Others: Exclusive

Two days before Vinyl, the highly anticipated new HBO series from executive producers Martin Scorsese, Mick Jagger and Terence Winter bows on Feb. 14, Atlantic Records and Warner Bros. Records will release Vinyl: Music From the HBO Original Series - Volume 1 and the music will keep coming weekly throughout the show?s 10-episode run.

Following Volume 1?s physical and digital release, each Friday, Atlantic and Warner Bros. will digitally release an EP with music featured in and inspired by the upcoming Sunday?s episode. Then the Friday prior to the season finale, a second physical and digital soundtrack will come out.

"Vinyl: Music From the HBO Original Series- Volume 1" track listing

1. Ty Taylor - The World Is Yours
2. David Johansen - Personality Crisis
3. Kaleo - No Good
4. Sturgill Simpson - Sugar Daddy (Theme from Vinyl)
5. Ruth Brown - Mama He Treats Your Daughter Mean
6. Otis Redding - Mr. Pitiful
7. Dee Dee Warwick - Suspicious Minds
8. Mott the Hoople - All The Way From Memphis
9. David Johansen - Stranded In The Jungle
10. Chris Kenner - I Like It Like That
11. Ty Taylor - Cha Cha Twist
12. The Jimmy Castor Bunch - It?s Just Begun
13. Soda Machine - Want Ads
14. The Meters - Hand Clapping Song
15. Soda Machine ? Slippin? Into Darkness
16. Edgar Winter - Frankenstein
17. Nasty Bits - Rotten Apple
18. Foghat - I Just Want To Make Love To You
27>34

« Reply #123 on: January 15, 2016, 03:55:37 pm »
I'm really looking forward to this series and glad I currently have HBO
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2016, 10:11:25 pm »
Who needs vinyl when you can get  singles on cardboard!  I remember when records use to come on cereal boxes... then again i'm old as dirt..

CEREAL BOX SINGLESThe Monkees
Four limited edition "Cereal Box" cardboard records
Track list:
"Last Train to Clarksville"
"Words" previously unreleased TV mix
"I Never Thought It Peculiar" previously unreleased TV mix
"Valleri" previously unreleased TV mix

http://www.rhino.com/syeor

T.Rex

dyecraig

« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2016, 10:16:45 pm »
i had one by the banana splits. man, did that sound like crap.
however, i did enjoy the cereal.

« Reply #126 on: January 29, 2016, 01:15:05 pm »
Hutch...ya got this one??

with guitar work by future Spinal Tap member Nigel Tufnel !
slack

analogfossa

« Reply #127 on: January 29, 2016, 02:50:39 pm »
It actually hasn't even started yet....

HBO's 'Vinyl' Series Soundtrack to Feature Otis Redding, Sturgill Simpson, David Johansen & Others: Exclusive

Two days before Vinyl, the highly anticipated new HBO series from executive producers Martin Scorsese, Mick Jagger and Terence Winter bows on Feb. 14, Atlantic Records and Warner Bros. Records will release Vinyl: Music From the HBO Original Series - Volume 1 and the music will keep coming weekly throughout the show?s 10-episode run.

Following Volume 1?s physical and digital release, each Friday, Atlantic and Warner Bros. will digitally release an EP with music featured in and inspired by the upcoming Sunday?s episode. Then the Friday prior to the season finale, a second physical and digital soundtrack will come out.

"Vinyl: Music From the HBO Original Series- Volume 1" track listing

1. Ty Taylor - The World Is Yours
2. David Johansen - Personality Crisis
3. Kaleo - No Good
4. Sturgill Simpson - Sugar Daddy (Theme from Vinyl)
5. Ruth Brown - Mama He Treats Your Daughter Mean
6. Otis Redding - Mr. Pitiful
7. Dee Dee Warwick - Suspicious Minds
8. Mott the Hoople - All The Way From Memphis
9. David Johansen - Stranded In The Jungle
10. Chris Kenner - I Like It Like That
11. Ty Taylor - Cha Cha Twist
12. The Jimmy Castor Bunch - It?s Just Begun
13. Soda Machine - Want Ads
14. The Meters - Hand Clapping Song
15. Soda Machine ? Slippin? Into Darkness
16. Edgar Winter - Frankenstein
17. Nasty Bits - Rotten Apple
18. Foghat - I Just Want To Make Love To You
The band, Beach Fossils, will play a fictional "proto-punk" group from the 70's on the show. That's the band there in his sunglasses reflection.

bob72

« Reply #128 on: January 29, 2016, 04:05:28 pm »
The Vinyl Deception: Records are not as big as you think: Vinyl has risen from the dead over the last nine years, under the guise of superior audio quality and the full package of liner notes. ...

I believe we?re giving records a lot more credit than they?re due. The reason: they are never played.

The upcoming younger audience of vinyl customers do not buy them to listen to. Vinyl falls into human's psychological urge to collect things
I readily admit I buy vinyl for the tangible quality, graphic design and artwork at its best. But man do not get me started on the fucking stupid hipster cunts who, when asked why vinyl, their response is "It just sounds warmer." Seriously, what the fuck does that mean? You realize that:
A) vinyl degrades with every play
B) the so called "warmth" is just the snap crackle and pop of dust and scratches. "Warmth" generally is interpreted to mean the analog qualities of a recording, but hipsters rarely know that
C) if you know anything about the science of sound and the whole analog vs. digital loudness war debate, you'll realize that the digital remaster you're listening to on vinyl is an oxymoron
D) analog recordings have barely existed since the 90's when recording studios went digital. The only people I know that still use tape are Steve Albini and Dave Grohl, though I'm sure there are others.
E) and now these hipsters are trying to bring back cassettes? seriously? the worst possible vehicle for sound reproduction. The only thing worse would be one of these 

PENIS

walk,on,by

« Reply #129 on: January 29, 2016, 04:13:27 pm »
there, you are.

analogfossa

« Reply #130 on: January 29, 2016, 04:20:33 pm »

I readily admit I buy vinyl for the tangible quality, graphic design and artwork at its best. But man do not get me started on the fucking stupid hipster cunts who, when asked why vinyl, their response is "It just sounds warmer." Seriously, what the fuck does that mean? You realize that:
B) the so called "warmth" is just the snap crackle and pop of dust and scratches. "Warmth" generally is interpreted to mean the analog qualities of a recording, but hipsters rarely know that
C) if you know anything about the science of sound and the whole analog vs. digital loudness war debate, you'll realize that the digital remaster you're listening to on vinyl is an oxymoron
D) analog recordings have barely existed since the 90's when recording studios went digital. The only people I know that still use tape are Steve Albini and Dave Grohl, though I'm sure there are others.
E) and now these hipsters are trying to bring back cassettes? seriously? the worst possible vehicle for sound reproduction. The only thing worse would be one of these 

http://www.tinytelephone.com/
Actually quite a few sessions have been recorded to analog tape.
some clients
Beulah
Bob Mould
Cody Chesnutt
Death Cab for Cutie
Deerhoof
The Dodos
Explosions In The Sky
Geographer
Hauschka
Hot Buttered Rum
Into It. Over It.
John Doe
Jolie Holland
Kronos Quartet
Magik*Magik Orchestra
Magnetic Fields
Mark Kozelek / Sun Kil Moon
Mates Of State
Matt Nathanson
Mike Krol
Mike Watt
Mirah
The Mountain Goats
Nada Surf
Okkervil River
Om
Ra Ra Riot
Recess Monkey
Rogue Wave
Samantha Crain
Sleater-Kinney
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
Sophie Hunger
Spoon
Telekinesis
Thao Nguyen
The Thermals
Trans Am
Travis Morrison
tUnE-yArDs
Two Gallants
Yann Tiersen

bob72

« Reply #131 on: January 29, 2016, 04:35:03 pm »

some clients
Beulah
Bob Mould
Cody Chesnutt
Death Cab for Cutie
Deerhoof
The Dodos
Explosions In The Sky
Geographer
Hauschka
Hot Buttered Rum
Into It. Over It.
John Doe
Jolie Holland
Kronos Quartet
Magik*Magik Orchestra
Magnetic Fields
Mates Of State
Matt Nathanson
Mike Krol
Mike Watt
Mirah
The Mountain Goats
Nada Surf
Okkervil River
Om
Ra Ra Riot
Recess Monkey
Rogue Wave
Samantha Crain
Sleater-Kinney
Sophie Hunger
Spoon
Telekinesis
Thao Nguyen
The Thermals
Trans Am
Travis Morrison
tUnE-yArDs
Two Gallants
Yann Tiersen
Good to know, and I'm not necessarily surprised. I just don't really keep up on that. I'm personally OK with either format, they both have their advantages and disadvantages

PENIS

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #132 on: January 29, 2016, 04:42:35 pm »

analogfossa

« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2016, 04:47:52 pm »

some clients
Beulah
Bob Mould
Cody Chesnutt
Death Cab for Cutie
Deerhoof
The Dodos
Explosions In The Sky
Geographer
Hauschka
Hot Buttered Rum
Into It. Over It.
John Doe
Jolie Holland
Kronos Quartet
Magik*Magik Orchestra
Magnetic Fields
Mates Of State
Matt Nathanson
Mike Krol
Mike Watt
Mirah
The Mountain Goats
Nada Surf
Okkervil River
Om
Ra Ra Riot
Recess Monkey
Rogue Wave
Samantha Crain
Sleater-Kinney
Sophie Hunger
Spoon
Telekinesis
Thao Nguyen
The Thermals
Trans Am
Travis Morrison
tUnE-yArDs
Two Gallants
Yann Tiersen
Good to know, and I'm not necessarily surprised. I just don't really keep up on that. I'm personally OK with either format, they both have their advantages and disadvantages

Agreed!

hutch

« Reply #134 on: January 29, 2016, 05:01:49 pm »

for someone that just showed up last week you really seem to think you have all the answers..so wrong so much though..

the vinyl degrades with every play bit is not true...I have records from the 1950s that sound fabulous even if they have been played... if I play a record today and then again tomorrow I don't notice any difference.. as long as I take care of my records, play it with a decent needle etc.. why should it degrade?

and even digital recordings often sound better on vinyl...in addition, a ton of new digital recordings have different masterings for vinyl than cd.. masterings that aren't ear bleeders or brickwalled as bad.. it makes a big difference

and how would you know people buy vinyl simply to collect it and not listen to it?

a ton of the vinyl people listen to is from when vinyl was analog and the cd counterparts- from when they were "digitalized" - sound pretty horrible in relative terms..

earlier today I went to a record store and picked up 14 slabs of vinyl for $20.. not one of them is from a digital source...

if you go to the record fair this weekend - I can't make it- you will notice 99% of the vinyl purchased is from analog tape.