Author Topic: ONE HOUR BB SHOW  (Read 32688 times)

m1

ONE HOUR BB SHOW
« on: June 18, 2004, 12:15:00 am »
it's official ... the Beasties' played for an hour only -- was it really worth the $300/$400 people paid ?

azaghal1981

Re: ONE HOUR BB SHOW
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 12:49:00 am »
Whoever paid that much should've saved $285-$385 and saw phish in a movie theater in Arlington. Great show/interesting scene. Never thought I'd see people dancing in the aisles and cheering and yelling song names at a screen. Hilarious!  ;)
احمد

m1

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 01:08:00 am »
i hear ya - I'm not really into phish but I do know they are a great band and extremely talented - always nice to run into something unexpected - sounds like a scene from Rocky Horror  :)

eltee

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 01:45:00 am »
Or, as I did, headed to Iota to avoid the debacle over on V St. Griffin House and Ron Sexsmith put on a great show.

webjedi

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 01:52:00 am »
Luckily I got the best of both worlds on that one... the BB show was pretty good (coming not from a fan) and I'm scheduled to Phish at their last show in Vermont in August.

They (meaning the beastie Boys) also provided free pizza from every joint around the club for the fans who waited until 11pm or so for the show. They did let people out (for food, smokes, and other functions) once the 99.1 junkies gave the announcement of the delay.

From last count there were 5-6 crowd survers and a breakdancing contest for those who waited.

They guys were real professionals up there... club staff was a bit wired, but understandable. A lauded attempt at keeping order among 600 drunken fans....

I too, wished they played a bit longer, but, oh well.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 06:33:00 am »
actually they played for 40 minutes.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 08:49:00 am »
if i had seen the beastie boys mtv music performance with mixmaster mike cutting it up, i would have been more inclined to checkout the show.  mixmaster mike is an ace dj and getting to hear him kick the shit would have been the bomb.  and now i'm going to be singing "Brass Monkey that Funky Monkey" to myself all day long
T.Rex

thirsty moore

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 09:31:00 am »
And now I've got AdRock gets nice like Charlie Chan on repeat in my head.  

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
 and now i'm going to be singing "Brass Monkey that Funky Monkey" to myself all day long

mankie

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 09:48:00 am »
Nobody really paid $300-400 a ticket......did they?

enchilada

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 09:52:00 am »
I don't know about that much, but there was a fella outside looking for a ticket and found someone willing to send their friend home to give the ticket to him for $200.  Friendship like that brings a tear to my eye.

mankie

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2004, 10:36:00 am »
who knew the beastie boys were so big? I always categorized them with Weird Al as a comedic band not to be taken seriously....I mean come on? 3 NY jewish boys rapping, it brings a smile just saying it.

Still, glad you all had a great time. Was the pizza because they were delayed for legit reasons or just being rockstars?

Rob Daniels

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2004, 10:38:00 am »
There were two guys from Richmond that were prepared to spend $500 for a pair.  He was going to pay someone $300 for one ticket but needed to go to the ATM so the guy sold it to my friend for $60.

I then got in 20 minutes later when the club released some tickets about 15 minutes before they went on stage.

saco

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2004, 10:39:00 am »

Still, glad you all had a great time. Was the pizza because they were delayed for legit reasons or just being rockstars? [/QB]
Thunderstorms in NYC which stopped air travel caused them to take a train instead of flying down.

thirsty moore

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2004, 10:43:00 am »
License to Ill, Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head, and Ill Communication were soundtracks for many kids in suburban USA in the 90's.  Most parties or hangouts I went to, someone always had a Beastie Boys album.

Originally posted by Bollocks:
  who knew the beastie boys were so big? I always categorized them with Weird Al as a comedic band not to be taken seriously....

godsshoeshine

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2004, 10:46:00 am »
Originally posted by Bollocks:
  who knew the beastie boys were so big? I always categorized them with Weird Al as a comedic band not to be taken seriously....I mean come on? 3 NY jewish boys rapping, it brings a smile just saying it.

Still, glad you all had a great time. Was the pizza because they were delayed for legit reasons or just being rockstars?
yeah the beasties were/are huge. its not like they rap about being drug dealers or something. plus they paved the way for skinny brits rapping about birds and quids.

only 40 minutes makes me less bummed for not going
o/\o