Author Topic: ONE HOUR BB SHOW  (Read 32728 times)

Guiny

Re: ONE HOUR BB SHOW
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2004, 12:14:00 pm »
I don't even know what "scoffing" means. So I can't help ya out there.

sonickteam2

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2004, 12:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sugartastic Tee Silk:
  They influenced me to my drink of choice back in the day, Brass Monkey.
you really drank that shit?  first of all , there isnt much more alcohol in Brass Monkey than in a 40 of malt liquor! second of all it TASTES LIKE SHIT!!!! i cant imagine a skinny little white girl drinking cheap, weak ghetto liquer.

:)

sonickteam2

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2004, 12:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee_a.k.a _Guiny:
most republicans dont.

Guiny

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2004, 12:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

Originally posted by Rob_Gee_a.k.a _Guiny:
most republicans dont. [/b]
LOL.........I don't see anyone as Republican or Demorcrat, I treat everyone equally.   ;)

m1

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2004, 12:39:00 pm »
To all that have posted on this topic; Thank you - but on the other hand, this so far, has been extremely generic  :o   - I cannot believe the justification samples on this board about how, who, what or why the Beasties are so huge or why they may not be anymore - It's fine to explain to some young kid who wasn't even born before they were on the streets making ground-breakin' music in the early 80s - but to put the Beasties' in the same sentence as Weird Al - seriously pathetic - and nothing against Al but come on - novelty act?! - all's fine to voice an opinion but try not to be so blatantly obvious of your lack of music knowledge/backround - it does you no good - learn your stuff before you start makin' comparisons - Asides from Zulu DJ Grandmaster DST in '83, Mix Master Mike IS one of the ORIGINALs when it comes to Breakin' Serious Ground in mixin'/scratchin' & STILL is makin' serious strides - someone like that, with all his accolades does not WILLING WANT to work with some joke/novelty act - the Beasties laid ground for so many acts these days, there are too many to list - a few good acts, but mostly poser acts whom have come & gone - and to each his own, seriously, if you don't like something, you don't like something, but if you're talkin' seriously, you have to give Mad Respect - If you do a little research, you will find Paul's Boutique(genius sampling even before sampling was an idea/it was made before you even had to ask/pay permission), as well as other Beastie Albums, on a plethora of Best Rap Album Lists of the Era - They Are and Have Been everywhere for a long long time - Rappin', makin' & playing numerous instruments - Growing/Sustaining Musically & Influentially - The Beasties are still makin' you Move & makin' MAD MAD MUSIC !!!

mankie

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2004, 12:50:00 pm »
Beastie Boys lot are a pretty defensive lot aren't they?

Are you republican because you don't allow anyone to have an opinion other than that of yourself.

And for the record...'sampling' is basically stealing someone else's stuff!

nkotb

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2004, 12:56:00 pm »
I agree with you about 90% about sampling.  Take Sean Combs, or practically any rap act out there today.  They take a hook, melody, or hell, the whole fucking song, rap over top of it, and sell millions.  Not a lot of talent, I don't think.  

But when done right, sampling is almost like a collage.  Using various elements of several completely different songs/sources that, when added to original instrumentation, becomes a new whole.  That's what made Paul's Boutique and Check Your Head such amazing albums (and no matter who says what, Check Your Head is the bestest).  The Beasties didn't just drop the needle on a record and rap over it.  It's just too bad mainstream rappers nowadays don't offer any originality in their music.  Of course, for that kind of payout, I'd rap about bitches, chronic and rims too.

Originally posted by Bollocks:
  Beastie Boys lot are a pretty defensive lot aren't they?

Are you republican because you don't allow anyone to have an opinion other than that of yourself.

And for the record...'sampling' is basically stealing someone else's stuff!

Joymonster

• MySpace
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2004, 12:58:00 pm »
Sampling has been an idea in hip-hop long before the Beastie Boys even arrived on the scene.

I find it funny that everyone now likes Paul's Boutique, and calls it a work of genius. I remember a lot of people hating that record when it came out back in 89'.

m1

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2004, 01:00:00 pm »
you make me laugh ... if you read again, slowly, remember slowly, you will see that the post is far from being defensive - I even cover that specifically  :roll:  

and yes, sampling, is borrowing/stealing/influenced --- what's your point?!?! unless you listen to No Music ... what you are listening to was/is essentially derived from something else, specifically sampled or not - you missed the point in the post --- remember, read S L O W L Y ... take your time now ... don't hurt yourself ... and if you post again, remember, to come back w/ a better debate  :eek:  

and FYI for the hell of it - I'm INDEPENDENT !

thirsty moore

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2004, 01:02:00 pm »
So my explanation as to why the Beastie Boys are popular isn't good enough for you?  Knowledge is relative.  I don't normally jump to Mankie's defense but you making assumptions as to someone's pop culture trivia based on a simple misjudgement is way off base.

Hey Professor.. what's another name for some kid that comes on a board telling people they don't know anything?

Why I think it's M1 M1 M1... that's what it is.

Originally posted by m1:
 I cannot believe the justification samples on this board about how, who, what or why the Beasties are so huge or why they may not be anymore

mankie

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2004, 01:03:00 pm »
Basically a party band for frat houses!! Sucked as punks so tried the rap thing....The only one who seems to take them seriously is YOU!

As the first white rap group of any importance, the Beastie Boys received the scorn of critics and strident hip-hop musicians, who accused them of cultural pirating, especially since they began as a hardcore punk group in 1981. But the Beasties weren't pirating -- they treated rap as part of a post-punk musical underground, where the do-it-yourself aesthetics of hip-hop and punk weren't that far apart. Of course, the exaggerated b-boy and frat-boy parodies of their unexpected hit debut album, Licensed to Ill, didn't help their cause. For much of the mid-'80s, the Beastie Boys were considered as macho clowns, and while their ambitious, Dust Brothers-produced second album, Paul's Boutique, dismissed that theory, it was ignored by both the public and the press at the time. In retrospect, it was one of the first albums to predict the genre-bending, self-referential pop kaleidoscope of '90s pop. The Beasties refined their eclectic approach with 1992's Check Your Head, where they played their own instruments. Check Your Head brought the Beasties back to the top of the charts, and within a few years, they were considered one of the most influential and ambitious groups of the '90s, cultivating a musical community not only through their music, but with their record label, Grand Royal, and their magazine of the same name.
 It was remarkable turn of events for a group that demonstrated no significant musical talent on their first records. All three members of the Beastie Boys -- Mike D (born Mike Diamond, November 20, 1966), MCA (born Adam Yauch, August 5, 1965), and Ad-Rock (born Adam Horovitz, October 31, 1967) -- came from wealthy middle-class Jewish families in New York and had become involved in the city's punk underground when they were teenagers in the early '80s. Diamond and Yauch formed the Beastie Boys with drummer Kate Schellenbach and guitarist John Berry in 1981, and the group began playing underground clubs around New York. The following year, the Beasties released the 7" EP Pollywog Stew on the indie Rat Cage to little attention. That year, the band met Horovitz, who had formed the hardcore group the Young and the Useless. By early 1983, Schellenbach and Berry had left the group -- they would later join Luscious Jackson and Thwig, respectively -- and Horovitz had joined the Beasties. The revamped group released the rap record "Cookie Puss" as a 12" single later in 1983. Based on a prank phone call the group made to Carvel Ice Cream, the single became an underground hit in New York. By early 1984, however, they had abandoned punk and turned their attention to rap.

In 1984, the Beasties joined forces with producer Rick Rubin, a heavy metal and hip-hop fan who had recently founded Def Jam Records with fellow New York University student Russell Simmons. Def Jam officially signed the Beastie Boys in 1985, and that year they had a hit single from the soundtrack to Krush Groove with "She's on It," a rap track that sampled AC/DC's "Back in Black" and suggested the approach of the group's forthcoming debut album. The Beasties received their first significant national exposure later in 1985, when they opened for Madonna on her Virgin Tour. The trio taunted the audience with profanity and were generally poorly received. One other major tour, as the openers for Run-D.M.C.'s ill-fated Raisin' Hell trek, followed before Licensed to Ill was released late in 1986. An amalgam of street beats, metal riffs, b-boy jokes, and satire, Licensed to Ill was interpreted as a mindless, obnoxious party record by many critics and conservative action groups, but that didn't stop the album from becoming the fastest-selling debut in Columbia Records' history, moving over 750,000 copies in its first six weeks. Much of that success was due to the single "Fight for Your Right (To Party)," which became a massive crossover success. In fact, Licensed to Ill became the biggest-selling rap album of the '80s, which generated much criticism from certain hip-hop fans who believed that the Beasties were merely cultural pirates. On the other side of the coin, the group was being attacked from the right, who claimed their lyrics were violent and sexist and that their concerts -- which featured female audience members dancing in go-go cages and a giant inflatable penis, similar to what the Stones used in their mid-'70s concerts -- caused even more outrage. Throughout their 1987 tour, they were plagued with arrests and lawsuits, and were accused of inciting crime.

While much of the Beasties' exaggeratedly obnoxious behavior started out as a joke, it became a self-parody by the end of 1987, so it wasn't a surprise that the group decided to revamp their sound and image during the next two years. During 1988, they became involved in a bitter lawsuit with Def Jam and Rick Rubin, who claimed he was responsible for the group's success and threatened to release outtakes as their second album. The group finally broke away by the end of the year and relocated to California, where they signed with Capitol Records. While in California, they met the production team the Dust Brothers, and they convinced the duo to use their prospective debut album as the basis for the Beasties' second album, Paul's Boutique. Densely layered with interweaving samples and pop culture references, the retro-funk-psychedelia of Paul's Boutique was entirely different than Licensed to Ill, and many observers weren't quite sure what to make of it. Several publications gave it rave reviews, but when it failed to produce a single bigger than the number 36 "Hey Ladies," it was quickly forgotten about.

Despite its poor commercial performance, Paul's Boutique gained a cult following, and its cut-and-paste sample techniques would later be hailed as visionary, especially after the Dust Brothers altered the approach for Beck's acclaimed 1996 album, Odelay. Still, the record was declared a disaster in the early '90s, but that didn't prevent the Beasties from building their own studio and founding their own record label, Grand Royal, for their next record, Check Your Head. Alternating between old-school hip-hop, raw amateurish funk, and hardcore punk, Check Your Head was a less accomplished than Paul's Boutique, yet it was just as diverse. Furthermore, the burgeoning cult around the Beasties made the album a surprise Top 10 hit upon its spring 1992 release. "Jimmy James," "Pass the Mic," and "So Whatcha Want" were bigger hits on college and alternative rock radio than they were on rap radio, and the group suddenly became hip again. Early in 1994, they collected their early punk recordings on the compilation Some Old Bullshit, which was followed in June by their fourth album, Ill Communication. Essentially an extension of Check Your Head, the record debuted at number one upon its release, and the singles "Sabotage" and "Sure Shot" helped send it to double-platinum status. During the summer of 1994, they co-headlined the fourth Lollapalooza festival with the Smashing Pumpkins. That same year, Grand Royal became a full-fledged record label as it released Luscious Jackson's acclaimed debut album, Natural Ingredients. The Beasties' Grand Royal magazine was also launched that year.

Over the next few years, the Beasties remained quiet as they concentrated on political causes and their record label. In 1996, they released the hardcore EP Aglio e Olio and the instrumental soul-jazz and funk collection, The In Sound From Way Out! Also that year, Adam Yauch organized a two-day festival to raise awareness and money about Tibet's plight against the Chinese government; the festival went on to become an annual event. The Beastie Boys' long-awaited fifth LP, Hello Nasty, finally appeared during the summer of 1998. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine, All Music Guide

m1

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2004, 01:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by Member 656:
  Sampling has been an idea in hip-hop long before the Beastie Boys even arrived on the scene.

I find it funny that everyone now likes Paul's Boutique, and calls it a work of genius. I remember a lot of people hating that record when it came out back in 89'.
Must not have been the COOL KIDS ...

m1

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2004, 01:08:00 pm »
uh oh  :D

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2004, 01:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by m1:

Originally posted by Member 656:

Must not have been the COOL KIDS ... [/b]
well i wasn't a kid at the time and i remember the record being a let down when i bought it...  it wasn't what i was expecting. in retrospect its a great record.  i have had the same reaction to xtc records as well one of my favorites
T.Rex

sonickteam2

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2004, 01:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by m1:
 you will see that it says everything that I already said, just is greater detail
perhaps you are lacking detail because you had your brainwashed by whiny jewish men last night.