Author Topic: Sleater-Kinney?  (Read 7813 times)

Bags

  • Member
  • Posts: 8512
Re: Sleater-Kinney?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2005, 12:09:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by bearman:
  Amazing live. I'm seeing them in San Francisco next weekend. I'll give everyone a preview. Funny though, I've never loved their records, but seeing them live they're terrif.
Exact reaction of several of my friends.  In fact, one friend just sent me this in response to the reveiw above:
 
 "I don't even listen to their records, yet I'll wade through flaming snot half a mile thick (to quote Valerie Solanis) to see one of their shows."
 
 He's seen them at least five times with me, along with some others who either don't or only rarely listen to their albums.

bearman🐻

  • Member
  • Posts: 5115
Re: Sleater-Kinney?
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2005, 03:19:00 pm »
I really don't care for the production on Dig Me Out, I'm giving the new one a chance though. I just ordered it and am waiting for it to arrive. For some reason I really love watching them play live. First time I saw them was at Constitution Hall opening for Belle and Sebastian. Since then, I've seen them a few times and they always put on a consistently great show.

Bags

  • Member
  • Posts: 8512
Re: Sleater-Kinney?
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2005, 03:25:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by bearman:
  First time I saw them was at Constitution Hall opening for Belle and Sebastian. Since then, I've seen them a few times and they always put on a consistently great show.
Congratulations for hanging on and seeing them again after that.  I thought that show (for SK) was a complete debacle.  Terrible venue and situation for them to play, with everyone (or, the third or less of the audience in the auditorium and not out drinking up before they went to their seats) sitting and not quite sure how to take them.  And they did not 'go' with the twee B&S sound.  
 
 Loved B&S, by the way.  Their stage set up and light show was like some grand variety show from the late 60s....
 
 Every other SK show I've been to has been incredible.  And, they in fact seem to get better and better (though the first is often best, as that's when I was blown away ...)

Rupert Pupkin

  • Guest
Re: Sleater-Kinney?
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2005, 11:33:00 am »
The new album is terrific. I'm amazed how much this band has grown.

stu47

  • Member
  • Posts: 308
Re: Sleater-Kinney?
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2005, 11:56:00 pm »
I agree....the woods is a surprisingly good disc, actually one of the better things Ive heard this year

honey_chile

  • Guest
Re: Sleater-Kinney?
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2005, 08:58:00 am »
I'm definitly enjoying the new album.

Jaguär

  • Guest
Re: Sleater-Kinney?
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2005, 11:58:00 pm »
Another band I would have to kill but not as bad as Mates Of State, and believe me, that's not saying much at all. Yes, I have, unfortunately, seen them live and wished that I were dead while they were playing. I could not wait at all for them to get off the stage and out of my life. In fact, when they come on the radio, I have to turn it off.
 
 Cheers, Relaxer.

HoyaSaxa03

  • Member
  • Posts: 7037
Re: Sleater-Kinney?
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2005, 12:10:00 am »
(o|o)

Relaxer

  • Member
  • Posts: 5300
Re: Sleater-Kinney?
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2005, 11:18:00 am »
Quote
Originally posted by Jaguär:
  Another band I would have to kill but not as bad as Mates Of State, and believe me, that's not saying much at all. Yes, I have, unfortunately, seen them live and wished that I were dead while they were playing. I could not wait at all for them to get off the stage and out of my life. In fact, when they come on the radio, I have to turn it off.
 
 Cheers, Relaxer.
Thanks babe, I hope you're well.
 
 A friend of mine has the new album and I don't much like it. However, I have to show admiration for Let's Call it Love. Hearing S-K commit a 6+ minute guitar solo to tape is certainly unexpected. Of course, what makes it especially nice is that we get a rest from her yelping gulpy wail. And there's no way you can call that guitar solo particularly skilled.
oword

groovyside

  • Member
  • Posts: 24
Re: Sleater-Kinney?
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2005, 11:42:00 am »
Quote
Originally posted by Bags:
 [QB]Congratulations for hanging on and seeing them again after that.  I thought that show (for SK) was a complete debacle.  Terrible venue and situation for them to play, with everyone (or, the third or less of the audience in the auditorium and not out drinking up before they went to their seats) sitting and not quite sure how to take them.  And they did not 'go' with the twee B&S sound.
Yeah, I was there and was totally perplexed as well.  Props to S-K for still rocking out even though no one in the audience seemed to give a crapola.  I would be very interested to know how that pairing came about.
 
 (in other news, that's probably the only time Ian MacKaye will ever attend a Belle & Sebastian concert!)

bazookajoe

  • Guest
Re: Sleater-Kinney?
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2005, 12:59:00 pm »
Did the Post review it. I didn't see a review anywhere.

BookerT

  • Member
  • Posts: 1410
Re: Sleater-Kinney?
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2005, 01:11:00 pm »
Sleater-Kinney's 'The Woods': Dark and Deep
 
 By Joe Heim
 Special to The Washington Post
 Sunday, May 29, 2005; Page N05
 
 It seems not much of a stretch to interpret the title of Sleater-Kinney's new album, "The Woods," as a metaphor for the uncertain times in which we live. If getting out of the woods means finally reaching safety, then being lost deep in them can be worrisome, even cause for panic. There's little on this 10-song CD, the band's loudest, hardest, thrashingest effort yet, to suggest that Sleater-Kinney senses less-troubled days anytime soon.
 
 Beginning with the sonic roar that kicks off the first song, "The Fox" -- a fierce post-rock parable -- "The Woods" is a blistering work of strategic venom, artful despair and unbridled, unflinching passion. It is angry and caustic, exciting and unnerving. It is sweeping in scope. It rocks like nothing you've heard in years.
 
 Guitarists and vocalists Corin Tucker and Carrie Brownstein and drummer Janet Weiss are the three women, along with producer Dave Fridmann, responsible for this 45-minute maelstrom of sound and ideas. The band's first release on Sub Pop, after years on the independent label Kill Rock Stars, is nothing less than its strongest start-to-finish album. For a group with several unimpeachable, time-tested releases already, that is no slight accomplishment.
 
 Weiss is a brazen and aggressive drummer, heroic even. And Brownstein still plays guitar like she is chain-sawing through power lines. But a full decade into their career, it remains Tucker's ululating, otherworldly warble that most distinguishes Sleater-Kinney songs. An instrument all its own, her freaky vibrato is distress signal, call to arms and ward against evil all at once.
 
 On the scathing "Wilderness," about both a couple and a country, she howls, "We're split right in half / It's making me crazy / A two-headed brat / Tied to the other for life." And on the Zeppelinesque "Let's Call It Love," an 11-minute hurricane-force rocker, her voice is equal to threats like "Show me your darkest side / And you better be my bloody match." Brownstein, too, takes her shots. On "Entertain," a blast at those simply rehashing art and music styles, she snarls: "You come around sounding 1972 / You did nothing new with 1972 / Where is the [expletive] you? / Where is the black and blue?"
 
 Only on the sardonic "Modern Girl" does Sleater-Kinney throttle back its all-out rock approach. Sung by Brownstein, the deceptively gentle and melodic pop song reveals its fangs in increasingly bitter lyrics about unfulfilling lives and the emptiness of a culture in which everything is for sale.
 
 There is little evidence of optimism in the other songs either: "Jumpers" is a tale of suicide; "Rollercoaster" frets about relationship stability; "Steep Air" growls at the status quo. By the final song, "Night Light," the pressures seem almost overbearing, and perhaps that is why it allows an admission of uncertainty and includes pleas for direction and purpose. "How do you do it?" Tucker sings. "This bitter and bloody world / Keep it together and shine for your family. How do you do it?"
 
 Once again, Sleater-Kinney asks all the right questions. All the questions the times demand. We're not out of the woods yet. Not even close.

bearman🐻

  • Member
  • Posts: 5115
Re: Sleater-Kinney?
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2005, 03:54:00 pm »
It really is a solid record. I'm seeing them at the Warfield in SF on Saturday and Mary Timony is opening up, I am SO excited. I think it will be a great show. I'll give you a report.

bearman🐻

  • Member
  • Posts: 5115
Re: Sleater-Kinney?
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2005, 09:57:00 am »
Holy crap...what an unbelievable show. Pretty much all the new record was played and towards the end SK sounded like a combination of peak-era Who and Sonic Youth. During "Let's Call It Love" they were all facing each other, rocking out, and Janet Weiss was just DESTROYING her skins. I have to say that I couldn't even stick around for the encore because I didn't want it to spoil what a high note the main set ended on. It was just stunning.
 
 DON'T miss this tour folks. I sincerely hope that Janet can hold out because she has one hell of a job to do night after night. At least Keith Moon had pills, speed, coke, etc. to keep him sailing. Easily one of the best shows you'll probably see this year, and a bargain at 15 bucks.

brennser

  • Member
  • Posts: 3683
Re: Sleater-Kinney?
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2005, 10:12:00 am »
damn - makes me even more dissapointed I am going to miss the show in DC
 
 
Quote
Originally posted by bearman:
  Holy crap...what an unbelievable show. Pretty much all the new record was played and towards the end SK sounded like a combination of peak-era Who and Sonic Youth. During "Let's Call It Love" they were all facing each other, rocking out, and Janet Weiss was just DESTROYING her skins. I have to say that I couldn't even stick around for the encore because I didn't want it to spoil what a high note the main set ended on. It was just stunning.
 
 DON'T miss this tour folks. I sincerely hope that Janet can hold out because she has one hell of a job to do night after night. At least Keith Moon had pills, speed, coke, etc. to keep him sailing. Easily one of the best shows you'll probably see this year, and a bargain at 15 bucks.