Author Topic: Electronic Music  (Read 10753 times)

Barcelona

Re: Electronic Music
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2006, 12:00:00 pm »
Thanks for these recommendations, lots of things to try. Quick question, of the bands recommended, which would be the ones that include in their songs more instruments such as guitars, drums... and I guess less computer stuff. I don't like techno or house, which I consider to be extemely repetitive.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2006, 12:05:00 pm »
Panic at the disco use both guitars and synths.
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2006, 12:09:00 pm »
Some that haven't been mentioned yet:

squarepusher
 Prefuse 73
 Bluetech
 Bonobo
 Caribou
 Flanger
 Jamie Lidell
 Beta Band (not purely electronic but they definitely fall into the trip hop genre at times)
 Shit Robot
 DFA (James Murphy/Tim Goldsworthy)
 The Juan Maclean
 Booka Shade
 Perry Farrell (I really like his "song yet to be sung" album (only electronic one?)
 Nightmares on Wax
 The Egg
 The Knife
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2006, 12:17:00 pm »
Oh and speaking of four tet, he put out 2 interesting albums with Steve Reid recently.
احمد

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2006, 12:19:00 pm »
is that a serious recommendation as so do The Killers...

Most of the artists listed here use only synths, drum machines, sequencers, etc.... Radiohead is a band, some bring in outside musicians and singers like the Thievery Corporation, Daft Punk and Chemical Brothers.  My favorite Electronica acts whatever tend to approach tracks as songwriters and arrangers vs just sitting down creating loops.  

Also checkout David Holmes who did much of background music for Oceans 11.  Dimitri From Paris and Ursala 1000 bring a bit of 60s kitsch to thier productions.

ESL Music is Thievery Corporations Label and a good place to start...
 http://www.eslmusic.com/
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2006, 12:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:
 Bluetech

if you like bluetech (trippy downtempo, electronic dub, etc), you'll probably like:

slackbaba
 entheogenic
 adham shaikh (everything on the interchill label is all quality, IMO)
 shpongle (first album is a masterpiece)
 abakus
 tripswitch (can get close to trip hop)
 shulman
 puff dragon
 solar fields
 makyo (best ethnic dub that i've come across)
 ott
<sig>

sonickteam2

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2006, 12:35:00 pm »
ha!

no one has mentioned Kraftwerk!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2006, 12:41:00 pm »
read much  :D
T.Rex

azaghal1981

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2006, 12:44:00 pm »
Wow... I guess everyone assumed kraftwerk were mentioned without reading through the thread too carefully. I know I did.

And yeah that first shpongle album is brilliant.

Ott's Hallucinogen in Dub is solid; the original hallucinogen tracks, while intricate and arranged well, are way too trance-oriented for my tastes.
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2006, 12:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by le sonick:
  ha!

no one has mentioned Kraftwerk!
while i admire them for the pioneers that they were, their music isn't that interesting by today's standards.  also, the person who started this thread said he wasn't into repetitive beats.

kraftwerk, along with tangerine dream, was the first electronic music i listened to... those two don't hold up so well, though.  i wouldn't start someone off by listening to them.
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2006, 01:06:00 pm »
Well I strongly disagree about Kraftwerks music not standing the test of time... Considering the fact they created electronic music without the aide of drum machines, sequencers, computers, etc their output is groundbreaking.  Most of their instruments were built by hand, etc.  All you had to do was see them live to see how well they are holding up...
T.Rex

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2006, 02:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by Barcelona:
  Thanks for these recommendations, lots of things to try. Quick question, of the bands recommended, which would be the ones that include in their songs more instruments such as guitars, drums
Devo's first four albums:

Devo Hardcore #1
 Devo Hardcore #2  
 Q. Are We Not Men?  &
 Duty Now For The Future

azaghal1981

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2006, 03:22:00 pm »
Of Montreal's last 2 albums contained a balance between electronic instrumentation and arrangement and the use of guitars/drums. This upcoming one, however, is pretty much all electronically driven. Kevin Barns has become an impressive electronic producer and this new album (leaked 5 months in advance) really shows it.
احمد

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2006, 06:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  Well I strongly disagree about Kraftwerks music not standing the test of time... Considering the fact they created electronic music without the aide of drum machines, sequencers, computers, etc their output is groundbreaking.  Most of their instruments were built by hand, etc.  All you had to do was see them live to see how well they are holding up...
Kraftwerk is more relevant to current popular music than the Beatles; that is how far and wide their influence has spread. The Beatles are certainly still important but there's a lot more Kling Klang on the radio today than Abbey Road.

And that's from someone with all of the Beatles CDs.

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2006, 07:49:00 pm »
Tell us more!  What other stuff do you like?  There are tons and tons of different sorts of Electronic Music...

I'm going to second the Of Montreal if you're looking for more catchy, hooky, indie-pop electronics.  These are probably good to start with if you're just starting to get into electronic music.  Beck's last record, Guero, also incorporated some more accessible songs with some synth and band insturmentals.  I'd also recommend for starters:
 The Dandy Warhols
 Figurine
 The Faint
 Le Tigre's Self-Titled album
 New Order
 any Air record, ESPECIALLY Moon Safari or maybe even Talkie Walkie
 VHS or Beta
 Whirlwind Heat
 and STARS (esp. if you're digging Broken Social Scene)

All of that has other insturments in addition to synth, and is very accessible.  Start with some of that.

And if you're feeling more brave check out Deerhoof or Lightning Bolt...but you might not be into that at first   :)