Author Topic: Show Conflict: Liars/No Age vs. Gibby  (Read 4283 times)

ggw

Re: Show Conflict: Liars/No Age vs. Gibby
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 08:15:00 pm »
In addition to the back injury that keeps Angus in a chair for the bulk of the Liars' set, they cancelled last night's show in Philly due to "gnar gnar stomach flu."  

Gibby looks like the safer choice.

I may still go to check out No Age.

nkotb

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 09:47:00 am »
Gibby Roll-call?  I'm in.

azaghal1981

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 09:56:00 am »
I got a liars/no age ticket a while ago.

So I'm doing that.
احمد

Relaxer

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 10:50:00 am »
Gibby Haynes with children could end up being the 2girls1cup of rock shows. I don't really know what that means.
oword

nkotb

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 10:31:00 am »
Anyone else make it?  I braved the ice (worse on the sidewalks than the roads...I almost broke my neck just walking to the door) and made it in time for probably the weirdest show I'll ever see.

Gibby looked like an upstanding member of society, rather than a raving lunatic.  He was backed about about 20 kids total, who switched in and out between songs.  Those 20 kids probably outnumbered audience members.

The setlist was pretty solid: opened with a killer version of Human Cannonball and went from there.  Honestly, some of those kids killed it; it might have been the best Surfers show I've seen in years.  They kept the new material light, playing only two Larryland songs and only one Weird Revolution track.  Ended with a brutal version of Shah, with a noise freakout at the end that lasted about 10 minutes.  Oh, and in between sets, the kids formed their own bands and played original songs.  

Highlights were obviously seeing normal looking kids sing back-up lyrics like "I saw an X-ray of a girl passing gas."  I can't imagine what the parents thought.  Super props to the 8 year old keyboard guy that was making a fucking racket.  He was about 80lbs, wearing jeans, hiked up boxers, no shirt and a bandanna.  Awesome.

And I stood next to Dave, the bass player from Ween, who apparently introduced Gibby to the idea of doing these shows.  I was too nerded out to say hi, and it seemed like he was enjoying his night anyway, so no reason to ruin it by blathering on.

Good times....although I never thought I'd need ear plugs at a show where 99% of the musicians were under 14.

Relaxer

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 01:06:00 pm »
I liked the show, definitely surreal. Was particularly pleased to hear their take on Concubine. The kids are definitely very talented, and it was awesome seeing the next batch of kids excitedly storming the stage before the previous song had even ended.

That said, I didn't always agree with how they approached the songs. This is mostly me being a dick, but the fact is that I learned how to play guitar by playing, hundreds of times over, pretty much all of the songs from Brown Reason to Live through Locust Abortion, and so I was a little disappointed that the greasy riff from Graveyard never really came out, and the awesome drumbeat from American Woman was off. Bitch bitch bitch.

Ultimately I was glad to support it and most of the songs were pretty killer. I had to split a bit early so didn't catch the conclusions/second half.
oword

nkotb

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 01:13:00 pm »
Buzzkill...I thought I made it in time for the opening songs, but I guess I missed a few.  Stupid RNR Hotel telling me the wrong set times   :mad:  

Yeah, I agree with that a bit with the parts not coming out.  The guitar parts in "Jimi" was super muted, which bummed me out. Thankfully that one kid took to the front and got it working before the song slowed.

Originally posted by Relaxer:
 Concubine...American Woman...

Relaxer

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 01:28:00 pm »
Weeeeelll, actually, I could be mistaken on American Woman. During that, I remember thinking, is this Waiting for Jimmy to Kick or is it American Woman, so I might have messed that one up. I was upstairs playing pool when they started, and it seemed like they kicked off with Cannonball, which you said.

And Concubine was very difficult to make out because they didn't play it note-for-note from Psychic (if that's even possible), but I heard a couple lyric snippets that gave it away.
oword

nkotb

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 02:26:00 pm »
Man, now I'm all confused.  I don't remember any of those songs, but I also don't remember NOT remembering any songs.  

I definitely would've died had they played "American Woman" though.  That drumbeat, once it gets in your head, never leaves.  Did you stay long enough for "Cowboy Bob"? Those girls screaming made it pretty horrifying...in the best way possible!

Bah, either way, pretty fun show, especially since I've given up on ever seeing a memorable Surfers show again.

Originally posted by Relaxer:
  Weeeeelll, actually, I could be mistaken on American Woman. During that, I remember thinking, is this Waiting for Jimmy to Kick or is it American Woman, so I might have messed that one up. I was upstairs playing pool when they started, and it seemed like they kicked off with Cannonball, which you said.

And Concubine was very difficult to make out because they didn't play it note-for-note from Psychic (if that's even possible), but I heard a couple lyric snippets that gave it away.

anarchist

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 09:37:00 pm »
if you can remember it, you were not actually there.