Author Topic: The Problem of Aging Rock Critics  (Read 5250 times)

thirsty moore

Re: The Problem of Aging Rock Critics
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2004, 02:58:00 pm »
This guy could be in the prime of his mid life crisis.  What more could record labels want then some horny writer reviewing the new Aguilera album!

Jokes aside, if the guy has proven himself as a solid interviewer/writer with a good ear then the paper is clearly in the wrong.

Originally posted by The Grimaceballs:
 But "senior pop music critic"? Just seems like an odd job for a fifty year old. I know a lot of people on here are ageist, and would find it hard taking the music criticisms of a 50 year old seriously, no?

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2004, 03:07:00 pm »
Maybe he was guilty of making condescending remarks about more youth-oriented genres, just as BigYawn writers are when it comes to more aged listener oriented genres like "adult-alternative".

http://bigyawn.net/reviews/cds/getupkids-guiltshow.htm

Or dismissing a whole cities worth of music in one lump sum...

http://bigyawn.net/reviews/cds/lambchop-awcmonno.htm

Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  This guy could be in the prime of his mid life crisis.  What more could record labels want then some horny writer reviewing the new Aguilera album!

Jokes aside, if the guy has proven himself as a solid interviewer/writer with a good ear then the paper is clearly in the wrong.

But "senior pop music critic"? Just seems like an odd job for a fifty year old. I know a lot of people on here are ageist, and would find it hard taking the music criticisms of a 50 year old seriously, no?
[/b]

ggw

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2004, 03:25:00 pm »
We already knew that BigYawn was the bastion of the impotent shoegazers.....

Celeste

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2004, 03:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  I'll bite....ggw, why do you keep posting that troll picture?
:roll:

Bags

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2004, 03:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
...shoegazers who reel Rhett in and have him reading nigh near every word of every review.  Way to go, bigyawners!

Celeste

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2004, 03:34:00 pm »
  Music critic is one of those jobs for reporters/writers who aren't very good.
That's not true, it's just a coincidence that the reviews these days generally are not very good.

Does anyone else out there just not really get into music reviews?

markie

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2004, 03:35:00 pm »

[/QB]
let me feed the troll......

I thought it was better than saying, "They come from Nashville, I hate modern country, but they are very far removed from those stereotypes"

vs

"What's worse is they are from Nashville , TN , and it really  doesn't conjure up a good mental image, but dispel thoughts of  rhinestones and Dolly Parton."

How would you have conveyed the same info?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2004, 03:35:00 pm »
and here i was thinking they were all apple computer salesfolk at best buy   ;)
T.Rex

Bags

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2004, 03:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by Ball Girl:

I'll bite....ggw, why do you keep posting that troll picture?
:roll:  [/b]
I'm not getting the rolling eyes....I'm wondering why ggw seems to be ferreting out trolls/lurkers today in particular and in numerous threads.  Why does he think there are particularly a lot of lurkers today?  Is it hfstival.com related??

Celeste

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2004, 03:39:00 pm »

I'm not getting the rolling eyes....I'm wondering why ggw seems to be ferreting out trolls/lurkers today in particular and in numerous threads.  Why does he think there are particularly a lot of lurkers today?  Is it hfstival.com related?? [/b]
it's obvious to me he was referring to Rhett, and I think you're kind of dense, hence the eye roll

ggw

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2004, 03:40:00 pm »
 I'm wondering why ggw seems to be ferreting out trolls/lurkers today in particular and in numerous threads.  Why does he think there are particularly a lot of lurkers today?  Is it hfstival.com related??
Unfortunately, the picture says Trolls.  There is only one troll, his name is Rhett, although he has many aliases.  You may have noticed that he started out the day by responding to each active thread with a strong, contrary post.

I think the roll-eyes indicate Tammy's surprise that you hadn't figured out that I was referring to her man.

Bags

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2004, 03:44:00 pm »
I don't automatically jump to the negative reading of these things; I didn't see that at all.  Yeah, call me dense, I know I'm just not nasty and didn't think of your husband as a troll right off the bat....sorry, next time I will.

Celeste

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2004, 03:48:00 pm »
blah blah blah...go back to your gushing over cheese and cheerleading...sorry to interrupt, seriously, sorry.

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2004, 03:51:00 pm »
I would have approached it as saying they are derived more from the countrypolitan sounds of Nashville circa 1970 than being associated with the current sound of mainstream Nashville.

By only referencing the stereotype of modern country (of which Dolly Parton is NOT a part of, by the way), you ignore such current non-mainstream outlaws as Steve Earle, EmmyLou Harris, BR549, Lucinda Williams, etc. to which Lambchop may be aligned with, if not in sound, at least in spirit.

There is great music coming out of Nashville, and it doesn't begin and end with Lambchop.

Originally posted by mark e smith:

[/b]
let me feed the troll......

I thought it was better than saying, "They come from Nashville, I hate modern country, but they are very far removed from those stereotypes"

vs

"What's worse is they are from Nashville , TN , and it really  doesn't conjure up a good mental image, but dispel thoughts of  rhinestones and Dolly Parton."

How would you have conveyed the same info? [/QB]

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2004, 03:54:00 pm »
How do you get a good point/counterpoint discussion going, if not but to offer a strong contrary opinion?

Sometimes a music board needs some argumentation; more than reports on soccer scores 3000 miles away, or opinions on music downloading and ipods. Boooorrring.

But that's just my opinion.

I'm wondering why ggw seems to be ferreting out trolls/lurkers today in particular and in numerous threads.  Why does he think there are particularly a lot of lurkers today?  Is it hfstival.com related??
Unfortunately, the picture says Trolls.  There is only one troll, his name is Rhett, although he has many aliases.  You may have noticed that he started out the day by responding to each active thread with a strong, contrary post.

I think the roll-eyes indicate Tammy's surprise that you hadn't figured out that I was referring to her man. [/b]