Author Topic: Vampire Weekend - Sold out  (Read 5070 times)

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
Re: Vampire Weekend - Sold out
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 03:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  yet another one to be filed under under "bands that i don't get".  listened to their album twice, thought it was decent but can't say that i was motivated to go out and see them.  apparently i'm in the minority.  again.  maybe their live show is really kick-ass?  for those lucky enough to be going, please write a short review and let us know how it was.
im with you on this band. i saw them (a year ago i think) at the mercury and was so terribly disappointed. they seemed so uninterested in being there and just stood in place seeming bored out of their mind. their music was catchy enough but they were outshined by the likes of ra ra riot and born ruffians.

but considering they just sold out back to back nights at the bowery - im wondering if something has changed.
HeyLa

slkchat

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 04:02:00 pm »
New to the Forum and already looking for tickets...would like 2.  Any one want out?

tigersscareme

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 06:33:00 pm »
how is the record? i like "a-punk" probably more than i should admit, but the three other songs on their myspace page are kinda....meh.

clap your hands say vampire

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 07:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by tigers scare me:
  how is the record? i like "a-punk" probably more than i should admit, but the three other songs on their myspace page are kinda....meh.

clap your hands say vampire
I absolutely adore their record, and for me, it got better with each listen.  It's pretty much a bunch of fun, simple pop songs...sometimes they remind me of a really primitive, simple, trapped-in-the-rainforest version of Belle and Sebastian.  You know, without all the fancy arrangements and whatnot.  But they've got a few.  It's sort of cutesy and sounds nice when you're strolling or driving with the sun out.

I discovered them a few months ago and all of a sudden they are blowing up...not sure how they are live, but I do like the album.  I'm not always so keen on the super buzzed about of-the-moment indie bands; these guys, however, are certainly not overrated.  I'd check it out.

earlx

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 11:47:00 pm »
Get this: they went to Columbia!  And apparently, they own a copy of Paul Simon's "Graceland."

thirsty moore

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2008, 01:17:00 am »
You took the words out of my mouth.  Thank you earlx.  Though, they are catchy.

Diamonds on the soles of her shoes kwassa kwassa.

Originally posted by earlx:
  Get this: they went to Columbia!  And apparently, they own a copy of Paul Simon's "Graceland."

killsaly

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 01:27:00 am »
im glad that i already bought tickets. i love the cd, its been in rotation in my car for a while now.  drunken jenga sounds fun too.

MisterDisco

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2008, 08:23:00 pm »
Ahoy!

I DJ Drunken Jenga upstairs @ the Hotel every Wednesday. Feel free to stop upstairs and say hello if you want to stop up for some music and cheap PBR ($2 if you play).

I just posted a setlist, so you guys can get an idea as to what to expect. Hope to see some of you there!

jenga setlist