Author Topic: More destructive than the Madden curse...  (Read 2498 times)

Brian_Wallace

More destructive than the Madden curse...
« on: January 15, 2008, 03:27:00 pm »
Call it the Maiden curse.  You know when they're all laid out like this, it does make you think.  Kanye West was SOOOOO right in "Gold Digger."  Where's the music version of this?  Musicians who lost it because of a bad hook-up?

Where's Scott Erickson and Lisa Guerrero?

Brian

Brian_Wallace

Re: More destructive than the Madden curse...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 03:40:00 pm »
Gwen Stefani/rent-boy Gavin Rossdale.  Without Mr. Nirvana cover band, there's no "Hollaback Girl."

Chris Martin/Gwyneth Paltrow.  Coldplay weren't that bad with their first two albums.  But "X/Y?"  They lost it with that one.  And it's all Paltrow's fault.

Damon Albarn/Justin Frischmann.  Faced with Damon's incredible talent, Ms. Frischmann was forced to become a junkie and release f'all for five years.

Axl Rose/Stephanie Seymour.  1992.  "November Rain" video.  2008.  Still waiting for any new music since 1991.

Future ones?

Pete Wentz/The other Simpson who can't sing AND had a nose job

Nicole Ritchie/douchebag from Good Charlotte.

Brian

ggw

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 03:58:00 pm »
I'm not really sure what your point is, but I thought I would take this opportunity to admit (perhaps embarassingly) that I think Sixteen Stone is one of the best albums of the '90s.

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 04:16:00 pm »
T Bone Burnett saved Sam Phillips from the "contemporary Christian" ghetto.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 04:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  I'm not really sure what your point is, but I thought I would take this opportunity to admit (perhaps embarassingly) that I think Sixteen Stone is one of the best albums of the '90s.
Oh, that's too bad.  I think "Angel Dust" by Faith No More is one of the best albums of the '90s.  But, Bush?  That album has "Listerine" on it, doesn't it?

Brian

RonniStar

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 10:23:00 am »
Originally posted by Brian Wallace:
  Gwen Stefani/rent-boy Gavin Rossdale.  Without Mr. Nirvana cover band, there's no "Hollaback Girl."

Chris Martin/Gwyneth Paltrow.  Coldplay weren't that bad with their first two albums.  But "X/Y?"  They lost it with that one.  And it's all Paltrow's fault.

Damon Albarn/Justin Frischmann.  Faced with Damon's incredible talent, Ms. Frischmann was forced to become a junkie and release f'all for five years.

Axl Rose/Stephanie Seymour.  1992.  "November Rain" video.  2008.  Still waiting for any new music since 1991.

Future ones?

Pete Wentz/The other Simpson who can't sing AND had a nose job

Nicole Ritchie/douchebag from Good Charlotte.

Brian
I'm stunned no mentioned Chris Robinson's marriage to Kate Hudson, or Whitney & Bobby, or Britney and K-fed.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 11:27:00 am »
Yeah, I think anything Bush put out >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anything No Doubt/Gwen Stefani put out.

distance

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 01:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by Julian, good manners AFICIONADO:

Yeah, I think anything Bush put out >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anything No Doubt/Gwen Stefani put out. [/b]
which flesh-eating virus would you prefer?  ebola or marburg?

that's the choice i see between bush and no doubt.

bush was NOT a good band and sixteen stone was not one of, or THE best album of the 90s.  i am not looking forward to the day that people try to look back on the 90s (i guess the retro 90s shit is about 5-10 years away), where they try to annoint bush or some other terrible band like that as 'legends'.  why is it that the people that are like ~18-20 right now only seem to focus on the worst stuff from the 80s and act like that's all there was as far as music/fashion/etc.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 04:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by distance:
  which flesh-eating virus would you prefer?  ebola or marburg?

that's the choice i see between bush and no doubt.

bush was NOT a good band and sixteen stone was not one of, or THE best album of the 90s.  i am not looking forward to the day that people try to look back on the 90s (i guess the retro 90s shit is about 5-10 years away), where they try to annoint bush or some other terrible band like that as 'legends'.  why is it that the people that are like ~18-20 right now only seem to focus on the worst stuff from the 80s and act like that's all there was as far as music/fashion/etc.
I'm not hyping Bush as a great, legendary band or anything like that. But if I have the radio on and Machinehead or Swallowed or whatever comes on, I'll leave it on. If Gwen/No Doubt comes on, it's changed as fast as my fingers can get to the dial. Again, not hyping Bush, just saying No Doubt is a completely different level of hell.