Author Topic: Wilco Roll Call  (Read 6967 times)

amnesiac

Re: Wilco Roll Call
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2006, 11:21:00 am »
Originally posted by allmy$to930:
  I didn't see any people that were flat-out drunk and for the most part, people didn't talk through songs.

You obviously weren't standing near the food window. There was a group of fratboys talking almost the entire show, not even quietly. And when someone asked them nicely to keep it down, they were stunned and said "dude, we're at a concert!" I don't understand why they were there at all. They acted like it was background music at a party...

That was probably the most crowded show I've been to there. I thought it was oversold too, but then I noticed after the show was over that they had the barricade up. I'm guessing they didn't initially plan to put it up, but decided to after the so-called  "Springfield Massacre".

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2006, 11:27:00 am »
Which fraternity were they in? Did they have their Greek letters prominently displayed?

Originally posted by amnesiac:

I didn't see any people that were flat-out drunk and for the most part, people didn't talk through songs.

You obviously weren't standing near the food window. There was a group of fratboys talking almost the entire show, not even quietly. And when someone asked them nicely to keep it down, they were stunned and said "dude, we're at a concert!" I don't understand why they were there at all. They acted like it was background music at a party...

That was probably the most crowded show I've been to there. I thought it was oversold too, but then I noticed after the show was over that they had the barricade up. I'm guessing they didn't initially plan to put it up, but decided to after the so-called  "Springfield Massacre". [/b]

dazer_23

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2006, 11:31:00 am »
Alpha Grabba Ho. That was them.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2006, 11:35:00 am »
All this sarcasm from Rhett....he's just jealous cuz he was too poor to go.  While you guys were having the time of your lives he was home eating porridge and room temperature tap water for dinner, no doubt wearing his 10 year old Wilco shirt.

thegazelle

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2006, 11:39:00 am »
I agree with the others who felt it was "oversold". I'm not sure if that's possible, but it certainly felt way more crowded than usual. And the asshole factor was in full effect, at least in the back kind of close to the merch table. People really need to learn to say, "pardon me" if they want to get through. I don't enjoy the "grab and push through" method too much. Otherwise it was a great show. The sound quality was very solid.

bearman🐻

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2006, 11:43:00 am »
I heard a story once where Korn played the 9:30 back in like 1997 or 98 or something and there were nearly 1600 people in the club...packed beyond belief. The stage was moving from everyone bouncing up and down. I wasn't there for it though, and I'm glad that I wasn't.

allmy$to930

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2006, 11:45:00 am »
Standing in the first row of the balcony solves all of these problems.

Relaxer

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2006, 12:14:00 pm »
  Standing in the first row of the balcony solves all of these problems.
Sometimes, not always. When I get to the club early enough to secure a spot on the rail, frequently a girl or two (or even worse, a girl and her boyfriend) will inevitably try and squeeze in right when the headliner comes on. I used to be a nice guy and try and accommodate them. I am no longer a nice guy.
oword

thingsfallapart

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2006, 01:03:00 pm »
The show was fucking awesome.  And the crowd was fine enough, everyone seemed to be really into it as evidenced by deafening singalongs for basically every tune.

tigersscareme

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2006, 01:08:00 pm »
i thought the balcony looked spacious and didn't think the floor felt too crowded.
 I am really not a fan of the verilights and the Mac2K's. when i'm on the floor of the 9:30 i swear they're almost always focused to blind me.
 when sleater-kinney played a show from 4-5 years ago i squinted through the whole thing because i had a fucking light in my eye.
 also, i'm curious, when theatres use strobes, they have to post a warning- are music venues excluded from that or was there a warning and didn't see it?
 i'm just curious about that stuff.

Darth Ed

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2006, 01:29:00 pm »
I'm sure there's plenty of legalese on the ticket to cover all that stuff.

Anyway, I thought it was a fantastic show, as usual for Wilco. They never seem to disappoint. Nels Cline is a guitar god, and I enjoy worshiping at his altar every chance I get. He's so freaking amazing. Good set list, though I kind of wish they would change it up a little and NOT play the usual assortment of songs at every encore.

It did seem more sold out than usual, but I figure that's just because there were fewer no-show's than at other sold-out shows. Who knows.

For the record, there were plenty of women where I was standing, near the front, but I guess that's usual.