Author Topic: once again the jokes write themselves...  (Read 193924 times)

Bags

Re: once again the jokes write themselves...
« Reply #1215 on: October 31, 2008, 10:11:00 am »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:

Originally posted by Bags:

Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
   biden confidently declares that he knows what the role of the vp is and that it's part of the executive branch, except that it's not.  
Cheney disagrees with you.  He has often cited his executive privilege to deny congressional information requests. [/b]
see above. . .we've already gone over this. [/b]
Sorry...I can't get through this whole thread all at  once and answer as i read (which is in dribs and drabs, obviously!)...I'll shut up for the balance...

sonickteam2

« Reply #1216 on: October 31, 2008, 10:12:00 am »
you dont have to shut up bags, bede is just getting a bit worked up.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1217 on: October 31, 2008, 03:50:00 pm »
i'm just flabbergasted by this latest Palin assertion... not only is this pandering beyond belief but just completely wrong..

the gist of is that she can't be criticized by the press because of how she is campaigning, never mind that a free press is a basic premise of the first amendment.

Palin: First Amendment Rights Threatened By Criticism

In a conservative radio interview that aired in Washington, D.C. Friday morning, Republican vice presidential nominee Gov. Sarah Palin said she fears her First Amendment rights may be threatened by "attacks" from reporters who suggest she is engaging in a negative campaign against Barack Obama.

Palin told WMAL-AM that her criticism of Obama's associations, like those with 1960s radical Bill Ayers and the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, should not be considered negative attacks. Rather, for reporters or columnists to suggest that it is going negative may constitute an attack that threatens a candidate's free speech rights under the Constitution, Palin said.

"If [the media] convince enough voters that that is negative campaigning, for me to call Barack Obama out on his associations," Palin told host Chris Plante, "then I don't know what the future of our country would be in terms of First Amendment rights and our ability to ask questions without fear of attacks by the mainstream media."

Salon's Glenn Greenwald explains why this argument is frighteningly wrong:

If anything, Palin has this exactly backwards, since one thing that the First Amendment does actually guarantee is a free press. Thus, when the press criticizes a political candidate and a Governor such as Palin, that is a classic example of First Amendment rights being exercised, not abridged.

This isn't only about profound ignorance regarding our basic liberties, though it is obviously that. Palin here is also giving voice here to the standard right-wing grievance instinct: that it's inherently unfair when they're criticized. And now, apparently, it's even unconstitutional.

According to Palin, what the Founders intended with the First Amendment was that political candidates for the most powerful offices in the country and Governors of states would be free to say whatever they want without being criticized in the newspapers. The First Amendment was meant to ensure that powerful political officials would not be "attacked" in the papers. It is even possible to imagine more breathaking ignorance from someone holding high office and running for even higher office?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/31/palin-criticism-threatens_n_139729.html
T.Rex

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #1218 on: November 03, 2008, 03:02:00 pm »
So how badly are the Republicans going to get smacked down tomorrow?

Can I start gloating now?

Where's Manimtired?
_\|/_

manimtired

« Reply #1219 on: November 03, 2008, 03:04:00 pm »
right here

Sage 703

« Reply #1220 on: November 03, 2008, 03:08:00 pm »
Please, please remember to go and vote, and please don't be discouraged by long lines.

« Reply #1221 on: November 03, 2008, 03:09:00 pm »
Are you suggesting that some people are clueless enough that they might forget to go and vote?

Those people probably shouldn't be voting anyway.

Originally posted by callat703:
  Please, please remember to go and vote.

• my blog
« Reply #1222 on: November 03, 2008, 03:11:00 pm »
And if you have time, VOLUNTEER... people are needed in Virginia.  This site will tell you how to sign up for get out the vote efforts.

http://www.virginiaforobama.com/

Send Palin back to the traler par^H^H^H  Wasilla!
_\|/_

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1223 on: November 03, 2008, 06:31:00 pm »
don't remember this being mentioned here:

Virginia bogus flyer grounded; police consider charges
 "It said Republicans and Independents leaning Republican should vote on November 4 â?? Election Day â?? and Democrats and Independents leaning Democratic to vote the following day."

Update: No charges in fake VA flyer case
<sig>

manimtired

« Reply #1224 on: November 03, 2008, 06:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  don't remember this being mentioned here:

Virginia bogus flyer grounded; police consider charges
 "It said Republicans and Independents leaning Republican should vote on November 4 â?? Election Day â?? and Democrats and Independents leaning Democratic to vote the following day."

Update: No charges in fake VA flyer case
this happens every election. if youre that stupid to buy this flyer you shouldnt be able to vote.

• my blog
« Reply #1225 on: November 03, 2008, 06:56:00 pm »
did you make the flyer?
_\|/_

manimtired

« Reply #1226 on: November 03, 2008, 07:08:00 pm »
yes

sonickteam2

« Reply #1227 on: November 03, 2008, 07:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:
  So how badly are the Republicans going to get smacked down tomorrow?

Can I start gloating now?

Where's Manimtired?
you cannot start gloating now. (because as Rhett would say, you arent Obama so you're not really winning anything)

but really, it does look like it will be a beating in every sense of the word.  I will be shocked and awed to see Obama lose, but will enjoy watching states like VA and NC and others (Montana??) go to Obama.  

I wont be watching CNN though as my political hero George Stephanopolous will be on ABC.

sonickteam2

« Reply #1228 on: November 03, 2008, 07:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by manimtired:
  yes
how are those polls?

• my blog
« Reply #1229 on: November 03, 2008, 07:23:00 pm »
Is Stephanopoulos really your hero?  He seemed respectable enough until the Democratic debate a few months back that he and Gibson moderated... in that debate, they both came across as amateurish hacks.
_\|/_