Author Topic: once again the jokes write themselves...  (Read 193963 times)

manimtired

Re: once again the jokes write themselves...
« Reply #1500 on: November 06, 2008, 01:07:00 pm »
i also thought you could vote throughout most of the thread. wrong there too..

Mobius

« Reply #1501 on: November 06, 2008, 01:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by manimtired:
  no, they are just reacting amazingly bad to his win.
Who cares?  The markets have acted no differently than they have over the past few months.  When underlying fundamentals improve, the market will respond in kind.

As you surely know, the markets have been fluctuating wildly for the past few months - with no apparent rhyme or reason other than fundamental econominc problems primarily caused by the breakdown of banking/credit/real estate markets.

sonickteam2

« Reply #1503 on: November 06, 2008, 01:20:00 pm »
  i also thought you could vote throughout most of the thread. wrong there too..
if you were reading, you would have known 5 days into this thread, 2 months ago. but i am not surprised is blew past ya!

Mobius

« Reply #1504 on: November 06, 2008, 01:27:00 pm »
  http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aj_ayFUP0riQ&refer=worldwide

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081105/wall_street.html
Exactly.  The market continues to react to an ongoing economic slowdown . . . caused by fundamental economic problems that will take time to work themselves out.

manimtired

« Reply #1505 on: November 06, 2008, 01:30:00 pm »
no obama jitters. none..k

sonickteam2

« Reply #1506 on: November 06, 2008, 01:36:00 pm »
  no obama jitters. none..k
i think we can ALL agree that with how unsteady the market is, that anyone whos not at least a bit concerned at how ANY new president will affect the market , let along a younger pres, is simply not paying much attention. i'm wondering why manimtired believes it to be a point he needs bringing up.  would the market be any different in McCain had won?

manimtired

« Reply #1507 on: November 06, 2008, 01:37:00 pm »
biggest post election dip ever...jus' sayin'

sonickteam2

« Reply #1508 on: November 06, 2008, 01:39:00 pm »
but only because the previous day was the biggest election day rally. and dont tell me it rallied on the prospect of McCain winning cause thats just too outlandish!

manimtired

« Reply #1509 on: November 06, 2008, 01:41:00 pm »

nkotb

« Reply #1510 on: November 06, 2008, 01:42:00 pm »
In trying to have a serious and thoughtful conversation on this (tough, I know, given the parties involved), historically speaking, what other election has happened during the course of a huge economic cluster like we're in now?  Have there been any?  Obviously markets ebb and flow, but is this situation unique?  I'm sure Bede or GGW would know...

nkotb

« Reply #1511 on: November 06, 2008, 01:44:00 pm »
In trying to have a serious and thoughtful conversation on this (tough, I know, given the parties involved), historically speaking, what other election has happened during the course of a huge economic cluster like we're in now?  Have there been any?  Obviously markets ebb and flow, but is this situation unique?  I'm sure Bede or GGW would know...

sonickteam2

« Reply #1512 on: November 06, 2008, 01:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotb:
  In trying to have a serious and thoughtful conversation on this (tough, I know, given the parties involved)
give it up and just succumb to the dirty insults and the LOLzers.

sonickteam2

« Reply #1513 on: November 06, 2008, 01:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotb:

[/b]
Actually, nkotb, heres my take.  This morning a lot of crappy news was announced, bad retail news came out today as well as news from Dept of Labor on unemployment soured the markets big time.  There are constantly reports coming out whether its federally or from sectors or even large companies.  These reports are on sales, profits or trends depending.  If its good news, stocks usually go up, if its bad news stocks plunge.  

not being sure about the new leader of the US is definitely there somewhat, but its probably only 20% or so.

i like to use  http://www.djnewsplus.com/  the Dow  Jones news site to round up all important economic news. Its not as comprehensive as some but it covers all the announcements that have an overall effect on the market.

sonickteam2

« Reply #1514 on: November 06, 2008, 01:58:00 pm »
In fact nkotb, here you go

http://www.djnewsplus.com/article/SB122597675121080335.html?mod=h&a=Mark+to+Market&h=Obama+Rally+Turns+Out+To+Be+Illusory

Obama Rally Turns Out To Be Illusory

By JIM MURPHY
 A DOW JONES NEWSWIRES COLUMN

NEW YORK -- There was, after all, no Obama Rally in the U.S. stock market.

Tuesday's 305-point gain in the Dow Jones Industrial Average was succeeded by Wednesday's 486-point plunge in the DJIA.

In fairness to President-elect Obama, the gusty gains in the three major stock averages on Tuesday and the lusty losses in the three averages on Wednesday had nothing to do with him.

It was, as was said in the 1992 presidential campaign, "the economy, stupid."

The main drag on U.S. stocks Wednesday appeared to be the approximately six-point fall in the services sector index in October, which was released at 10 a.m. EST by the Institute for Supply Management. The ISM index, at just above 50 in September, plunged from expansion territory to firmly in contraction mode in October. The services index was just, as I presciently noted on Wednesday morning, playing catch-up with ISM's manufacturing index, which we learned from the October report is wallowing in the neighborhood of 38.

In the U.S., service sector jobs account for about 80% of the economy, which is a surefire indication of how important it is when the bottom appears to be falling out of the so-called non-manufacturing sector.

The sharp contraction in the ISM services index also depressed stocks, I believe, because it strengthened the market's foreboding that the worst is yet to come. Indeed, most economists that I've heard or read believe the fourth or current calendar quarter will be the nadir of this recession. They believe the economy will stage an extremely modest recovery in the four quarters of 2009 -- a recovery so modest as to have the professionals arguing among themselves about whether it ought to be called a recovery at all.

We won't have to wait long for the next piece of really bad news. Friday morning, we'll learn that nonfarm payrolls dropped in October by at least 200,000 jobs and the unemployment rate shot up to at least 6.3% from 6.1% in September.

While we're waiting for the October jobs report, we can chew and digest another not-insignificant economic indicator, which is the report on U.S. productivity and unit labor costs in the third quarter.

The already-reported fractional contraction in 3Q gross domestic product almost guarantees that productivity for the same quarter fell sharply.

Here at Dow Jones Newswires, the median forecast of the economists we surveyed is that Q3 productivity rose by only 0.4% following a quite respectable gain of 4.3% in the second quarter.

The flip side of productivity is unit labor costs. It follows as the night the day that, if productivity moves more than nominally in either direction, unit labor costs will move in the opposite direction. That is why the Dow Jones forecast of a 0.4% rise in Q3 productivity brings with it the forecast of a 3.0% increase in unit labor costs (ULC) following a 0.5% decline in ULC for the second quarter.

The productivity report will be released at 8:30 a.m. EST.

The other 8:30 a.m. indicator is weekly jobless claims for the week ended Saturday, Nov. 1. The emphasis here will be, as it has been recently, on continuing claims, that is, a head count of the number of claimants who remain on the benefit rolls from week to week to week.

If the Dow Jones forecast for first-time jobless claims in the latest week is on target, it will only strengthen the focus on continuing claims. Our forecast is that initial claims were unchanged at 479,000 from the previous week.