Author Topic: once again the jokes write themselves...  (Read 193882 times)

sonickteam2

Re: once again the jokes write themselves...
« Reply #990 on: October 24, 2008, 01:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:

as for doom, i completely disagree, the u.s. is most definately a christian country, in fact, the most christian in the history of the world; look at the money, look at our founding documents, look at our pledge, look at almost every single federal building. . .our country was founded by "christians," (i know, the founding fathers were deists, but i'm also including the pilgrims in that statement), using christian ideals, remember the declaration of independence?  it references a creator-god for giving humans our "inalienable" rights. . .how is that anything but christian?

it still comes down to the first amendment and while many of the historical parts of America and much of the money may come from christians and christians may believe themselves to hold the power here, it still does not make it a christian country.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

godsshoeshine

« Reply #991 on: October 24, 2008, 01:46:00 pm »
most christian country in the history of the world? little bit of hyperbole there
o/\o

ratioci nation

« Reply #992 on: October 24, 2008, 01:49:00 pm »
Police sources tell KDKA that a campaign worker has now confessed to making up a story that a mugger attacked her and cut the letter B in her face after seeing her McCain bumper sticker.

http://kdka.com/

sonickteam2

« Reply #993 on: October 24, 2008, 01:57:00 pm »
   "inalienable" rights.
i think god gives us "unalienable" rights.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #994 on: October 24, 2008, 01:57:00 pm »
thats fucked up. damn texans trying to give pittsburgh a bad name
o/\o

Venerable Bede

« Reply #995 on: October 24, 2008, 02:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  most christian country in the history of the world? little bit of hyperbole there
ummm, no. on sheer numbers, the u.s. has the most "christians" than any country; the u.s. has a larger percentage of their population declaring they are part of some christian denomination. . .i do not think it hyperbole to claim that at all.

now, being a christian means many different things. . .recent studies, while showing decreases in church attendence, also show an increase in people calling themselves "christian."  in other words, an increasing number of people believe in a personal Christian God, that they have a relationship with God that no longer requires the use of a minister or pastor.
OU812

godsshoeshine

« Reply #996 on: October 24, 2008, 02:20:00 pm »
we have more christians than any other country, but certainly not the highest percentage. we have more people of irish decent here than any other country (including ireland) but that doesnt make us the most irish country in the history of the world. it just means we're a big country
o/\o

sonickteam2

« Reply #997 on: October 24, 2008, 02:22:00 pm »
  we have more christians than any other country, but certainly not the highest percentage. we have more people of irish decent here than any other country (including ireland) but that doesnt make us the most irish country in the history of the world. it just means we're a big country
I dont know, i think it might be the highest percentage. (besides Italy) at least top 10

godsshoeshine

« Reply #998 on: October 24, 2008, 02:24:00 pm »
most of south america is around 95% christian, and there always the vatican. i couldnt find anything better than this:
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_by_country
 if someone has something better id love to see it
o/\o

Mobius

« Reply #999 on: October 24, 2008, 02:49:00 pm »
Advocating a separation of church and state is not an anti-religious sentiment.  Jefferson understood that mixing the two causes the perversion of both.  Thanks to the separation of church and state this country is a great place to be religious . . . or not religious.  A pseudo-libertarian should understand this.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #1000 on: October 24, 2008, 03:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by Mobius:
  Advocating a separation of church and state is not an anti-religious sentiment.  Jefferson understood that mixing the two causes the perversion of both.  Thanks to the separation of church and state this country is a great place to be religious . . . or not religious.  A pseudo-libertarian should understand this.
that is true, but it's being used for anti-religous purposes.  people have the right to worship or not worship (or believe for that matter) since their is no government sponsored church of worship or government-forced church attendance.

but, separation of church and state is nowhere in the constitution, it's in a supreme court decision from the 50s that used a letter that jefferson wrote in the 1820s, which is funny since jefferson was in france when the contitution was being debated; not exactly federalist papers material.  i will grant that jefferson was in "constant" contact with madison, so far as mail via ship then over land allowed for constant contact.
OU812

Venerable Bede

« Reply #1001 on: October 24, 2008, 03:07:00 pm »
  we have more people of irish decent here than any other country (including ireland) but that doesnt make us the most irish country in the history of the world. it just means we're a big country
it doesn't make us irish because we're americans.
OU812

paul3mac

« Reply #1002 on: October 24, 2008, 03:11:00 pm »
how did this thread turn into a discussion about religion?  b-o-r-i-n-g!

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1003 on: October 24, 2008, 03:19:00 pm »

we have more people of irish decent here than any other country (including ireland) but that doesnt make us the most irish country in the history of the world. it just means we're a big country
it doesn't make us irish because we're americans. [/b]
im glad you agree
o/\o

sonickteam2

« Reply #1004 on: October 24, 2008, 03:19:00 pm »

but, separation of church and state is nowhere in the constitution,
neither is a "right to privacy"