Author Topic: MTV (a bit of a rant)  (Read 5425 times)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Re: MTV (a bit of a rant)
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 09:07:00 pm »
But good ol' boy Country Music TV (or whatever it's called) always has some kind of music video or concert airing. Shame that I don't like commercial Country music. Guess their fans know how to keep the corporate side in check.

Honestly, I watch very, very little tv myself.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 09:11:00 pm »
humorously:  this man doesn't even own a telelvision.  really.  seriously: i don't own a television either, so maybe i am the man in that story  :)

Watching television is like taking black spray paint to your third eye - Bill Hicks
<sig>

sonickteam2

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 10:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguar:
  But good ol' boy Country Music TV (or whatever it's called) always has some kind of music video or concert airing. Shame that I don't like commercial Country music. Guess their fans know how to keep the corporate side in check.

Honestly, I watch very, very little tv myself.
TV SUCKS!!!  boo hiss.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 08:07:00 am »
Yeah, eMpTyVee, as a friend used to call it, hasn't shown music videos since the 1980s.  This is not news.

MTV International is better... that's how I discovered OK Go and Sophie Ellis-Bextor...
_\|/_

El Jefe Design

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 08:32:00 am »
With the joy that is digital cable, I just go to the 400+ channels that play nothing but music and leave it on. Found some good stuff that way. MTV 2 started off as "all music, all the time" but that turned into the second run channel of all the stuff  that was MTV and is now repeating. I do like Headbangers Ball and Subterranean but I rarely get a chance to sit and watch.

Sadly, I find VH-1 Classic (cringe) to be a better station especially their "alternative" show where old 120 Minute videos are shown.

flawd101

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 08:47:00 am »
come'on how can you hate the real world?!  
 that shit is like crack.

duff was dating joel madden (good charlotte) which is pretty creepy.  i guess joel left when she turned 18.

your welcome

Bags

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 09:41:00 am »
On Sunday MTV -- that's MTV mind you, not even VH-1 -- had a marathon of America's Next Top Model.  12 hours.  Unreal.

Though I watched about 10 episodes of Real World, I am over that -- now it's all about how fast the 20-year old skanks sleep with each other or get some lesbian-lite action going in the hot tub.  No fun -- none of the actual interpersonal tension of living with people you didn't choose.

Now the Real World/Road Rules Challenges?  I can still dig those...

alex

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007, 09:42:00 am »
Meh, MTV as a music channel is no longer relevant in the age of the internet.

Just this morning I started randomly looking up old music videos that I enjoyed when I was in middle school and high school, back when MTV actually DID play videos, and I found nearly every one I typed in.  I'm sure the same would go for anything coming out today as well.

Here is the list of videos I watched this morning on my own accord:

Radiohead - Paranoid Android
 Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun
 Tom Petty - Mary Jane's Last Dance
 Green Day - Basketcase
 Smashing Pumpkins - 1979
 Fountains of Wayne - Radiation Vibe
 Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
 Blind Melon - No Rain
 Soul Asylum - Runaway Train
 Weezer - Buddy Holly
 No Doubt - I'm Just a Girl
 The Offspring - Come Out and Play

godsshoeshine

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2007, 09:45:00 am »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  I watch the Hills on MTV and that's it.

Now if they go HD and kick it off with the LC Sex Video, then maybe I'll watch it again, but otherwsie, it ceased existing as a Music TV channel for me about 10 years ago, maybe more.

I don't even watch TRL any longer since they stopped showing videos in their entirety.
lc as in lauren conrad has a sex video? sweet
o/\o

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2007, 10:34:00 am »
Originally posted by Hoya Paranoia:
  there was a good article in wired magazine  
HO-YA READS WIRED!  HO-YA READS WIRED!

TEH BROTHAS AND SISTAHS SAY MTV DIDN'T GET WORSE, IT GOT FO SHIZZLE BETTAH WHEN THEY LET MICHAEL JACKSON HIS PHAT, FLY VIDEOS.  AND YO MTV RAPS.  IT ALL STARTED TO GO UPHILL FROM DERE, HOMIES. WÃ?RD UP!

TheDirector217

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2007, 11:15:00 am »
Originally posted by Dupek Chakra:

Originally posted by Hoya Paranoia:
  there was a good article in wired magazine  
HO-YA READS WIRED!  HO-YA READS WIRED!

TEH BROTHAS AND SISTAHS SAY MTV DIDN'T GET WORSE, IT GOT FO SHIZZLE BETTAH WHEN THEY LET MICHAEL JACKSON, JESSIE JACKSON & REGGIE JACKSON AIR THEIR PHAT, FLY VIDEOS.  AND YO MTV RAPS.  IT ALL STARTED TO GO UPHILL FROM DERE, HOMIES. WÃ?RD UP! [/b]
You're an off the wall cat, man. Grand Wizard Dupek strikes again.  Ran out of crosses to burn, I see . . . .

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2007, 11:30:00 am »
Originally posted by TheDirector217:
    Ran out of crosses to burn, I see . . . .
You've got me pegged there, sport.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2007, 11:30:00 am »
can we get back to lc's sex tape, please?
o/\o

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2007, 11:39:00 am »
  You're an off the wall cat, man. Grand Wizard Dupek strikes again.  Ran out of crosses to burn, I see . . . .
Blacks are over-represented on MTV.  For only being 12% of the population, they get 50% of the airtime.  Or do you disagree with this as well, H.Rap Brown?

TheDirector217

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2007, 12:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by Dupek Chakra:

Blacks are over-represented on MTV.  For only being 12% of the population, they get 50% of the airtime.  Or do you disagree with this as well, H.Rap Brown? [/b]
Yeah, absolutely.  I whole-heartedly agree.  Cause "The Hills", "Laguna Beach", & "TRL" are about as black as programming can get.  Black Panther propaganda and what not . . . .