Author Topic: US Live Earth is Ready  (Read 4713 times)

floyd1975

Re: US Live Earth is Ready
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 04:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by bizou311®:
  Was it just me or did anyone else think that the concert was going to be free?
I thought the same thing.  Now they don't say how much it is and you have to buy through Live Nation or Ticketmaster.  I think the whole thing is kind of funny.

TheDirector217

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 04:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by floyd:

I thought the same thing.  Now they don't say how much it is and you have to buy through Live Nation or Ticketmaster.  I think the whole thing is kind of funny. [/b]
Ditto. But as soon as I heard D.C. wasn't getting the show, I figured capitalism was finnin' to rear its homely head. Whatever . . . . I'm never gonna get to see Pink Floyd, and after having to pass on it last year cause of Virgin Festival, Roger's the closest thing.  I'm comfortable with that.

floyd1975

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 08:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by TheDirector217:

I thought the same thing.  Now they don't say how much it is and you have to buy through Live Nation or Ticketmaster.  I think the whole thing is kind of funny. [/b]
Ditto. But as soon as I heard D.C. wasn't getting the show, I figured capitalism was finnin' to rear its homely head. Whatever . . . . I'm never gonna get to see Pink Floyd, and after having to pass on it last year cause of Virgin Festival, Roger's the closest thing.  I'm comfortable with that. [/b]
I would just go to Philly in June for that.  I enjoyed the Roger Waters show I saw a few years ago so much that I'm thinking of hitting up the Wachovia Center show and getting a full set.

azaghal1981

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 01:50:00 am »
Roger Waters would've made for a nice opener for tortoise.  :)
احمد

TheDirector217

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 09:54:00 am »

Originally posted by TheDirector217:
   Ditto. But as soon as I heard D.C. wasn't getting the show, I figured capitalism was finnin' to rear its homely head. Whatever . . . . I'm never gonna get to see Pink Floyd, and after having to pass on it last year cause of Virgin Festival, Roger's the closest thing.  I'm comfortable with that.
I would just go to Philly in June for that.  I enjoyed the Roger Waters show I saw a few years ago so much that I'm thinking of hitting up the Wachovia Center show and getting a full set. [/b]
I was thinking about doing the same for Roger at MSG in late May.  Never seen a show at the Garden.  Not sure if I wanna hold out for the Stones or U2 (which I've planning/meaning to do for about 4-5 years now) to come back out on the road to do it.  Decisions, decisions . . . .

distance

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2007, 10:47:00 am »
after seeing waters in 99/00 a few times, i don't think i'd go to these recent tours considering you're going to get mostly the same stuff at a much higher price tag.

slappy

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2007, 12:50:00 pm »

From the Post

"Tickets to the Giants Stadium concert will go on sale Monday. Pricing hasn't been set, but Wall estimated that they'd "average around $100 or $125." Had Live Earth been staged on the Mall or at the Capitol, admission would have been free, he said. Ticket revenue will help cover the facility fee at the Meadowlands sports complex."

If the swamp is that expensive to rent, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Let the comment floodgates open.

Chulahoma

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2007, 12:54:00 pm »
thats sad that they're charging people money for this show.

sonickteam2

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007, 12:58:00 pm »
  thats sad that they're charging people money for this show.
why?

Chulahoma

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2007, 01:05:00 pm »
maybe i was spoiled when i went to live 8 in philly a few years ago, which was free.  do you think the other live earth shows are going to be charging people?  

i believe that these types of shows should be free to the public.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2007, 01:15:00 pm »
i wouldn't mind paying $20-30 to cover facility fees, but $100+ is just gouging.  there is no way it costs that much to operate the facility for one day.  where is this extra money going? $100 x 100000 people (at least*) = $10,000,000.

the UK show will not be free either:  ALL TICKETS FOR LONDON WILL BE PRICED AT £55 EACH (about $110 USD)

* football capacity is 80k in the stands, i'm sure they'll fit at least 20k on the field.

EDIT: furthermore, the article mentioned "A lot of cities were competing to get this show, and the state of New Jersey and the city of New York opened up their arms and said to come here." = sponsorship, tax breaks, incentives, etc...
<sig>

bnyced0

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2007, 01:24:00 pm »
I thought I'd hear more complaints about the fact these aren't likely to be real sets, you're looking at 5-6 songs max for big names and perhaps 15-20 minute medley's from others.  

As far as the pricing, if the majority of the proceeds aren't going toward some type of environmental related charity/fund, this is indeed a hoax and we shouldn't collaborate...though on the surface the cause is just.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2007, 01:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  i wouldn't mind paying $20-30 to cover facility fees, but $100+ is just gouging.  there is no way it costs that much to operate the facility for one day.  where is this extra money going? $100 x 100000 people (at least*) = $10,000,000.

I'll bet 20% of those seats are behind the stage and not sold.  And they're not going to cram 20,000 onto the field.  It's not the 9:30 Club.  :eek:

TheDirector217

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2007, 04:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by slappy:

From the Post

"Tickets to the Giants Stadium concert will go on sale Monday. Pricing hasn't been set, but Wall estimated that they'd "average around $100 or $125." Had Live Earth been staged on the Mall or at the Capitol, admission would have been free, he said. Ticket revenue will help cover the facility fee at the Meadowlands sports complex."

If the swamp is that expensive to rent, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Let the comment floodgates open. [/b]
They gotta boost the price to cover costs to keep Jimmy Hoffa's body in tact underneath all that turf.

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2007, 05:19:00 pm »
I agree. You're taking out the whole populist/activist slant if you're charging a large admission fee.

maybe i was spoiled when i went to live 8 in philly a few years ago, which was free.  do you think the other live earth shows are going to be charging people?  

i believe that these types of shows should be free to the public.