Author Topic: Recommendations for music podcasts  (Read 2064 times)

bellenseb

Recommendations for music podcasts
« on: September 11, 2008, 01:40:00 pm »
I like listening to "new music discussion" podcasts, like All Songs Considered, CPR's Sound Opinions, and MPR's Musicheads.

Can you guys recommend other podcasts that either cover, discuss, or play new music? Ideally with a more indie/underground bent and less polite, safe NPR-i-ness.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Re: Recommendations for music podcasts
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 09:09:00 pm »
While not technically podcasts, this thread might interest you. Not all of it is 'new' music though much of it is either new or somewhat more obscure to the Mainstream Indie crowd. Then all of a sudden, some well known old favorite pops up.

slappy

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 11:19:00 pm »
Also not technically a podcast   Lammo's Roundtable on 6 Music is usually good depending on his guests. Today it was Tori Amos, David Holmes, and David Soul critiquing new tunes.

K8teebug

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 08:29:00 am »
Alot of the stuff on kexp is pretty good.  I'm a big fan of all songs considered myself.

Chip Chanko

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 11:57:00 am »
Originally posted by K8teebug:
 I'm a big fan of all songs considered myself.
I second this. It's not always stuff you haven't heard yet but worth it for when they do the long discussions every once in a while.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 09:27:00 am »
I've had a hard time finding anything that beats KEXP and KCRW's "Song of the Day" podcasts, where you basically have a never ending supply of free MP3s, much of it quite good.   Turn off Itunes' default setting to delete these MP3s after a period of time and your music collection will effortlessly grow.

Sub Pop also has a podcast if you're into their stuff.

As for "All Songs Considered," I have their live concerts podcast, but I didn't see other podcasts on their site.  Do they have anything else for non-live music?
_\|/_

MonkeyPants

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 11:16:00 am »
Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:
  I've had a hard time finding anything that beats KEXP and KCRW's "Song of the Day" podcasts, where you basically have a never ending supply of free MP3s, much of it quite good.   Turn off Itunes' default setting to delete these MP3s after a period of time and your music collection will effortlessly grow.
ditto
PANTS

Darth Ed

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 01:19:00 am »
Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:
 As for "All Songs Considered," I have their live concerts podcast, but I didn't see other podcasts on their site.  Do they have anything else for non-live music?
http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast/podcast_detail.php?siteId=4819413

killsaly

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 01:26:32 pm »
While I havent added it to iTunes yet, I do a mix series called Dragged to Hell (under another name of mine, Hexenjagd) on mixcloud (along with other random one off mixes, nerdcore, Baltimore music, shoegaze, Best of 2012).  They all should have links to the mp3s inside of their descriptions.  Dragged to Hell features my favorite witch house/drag/dark electronic music, usually in some kind of broad narrative form.
http://www.mixcloud.com/killsaly/

http://www.mixcloud.com/killsaly/killsaly-psych-101/
(people here might like this one, it features Psychedelic (and psych tinged) music from the last four decades.

I have been contemplating adding this series to iTunes as a podcast, I just havent gotten around to it yet.  I usually wouldnt self promote myself on here, but I do all of these for fun, and if anyone has any interest in dark electronic music, it is a good primer on the artists currently active. 

I also feature these mixes on my music blog (also called Dragged to Hell) with links to the artists used in the posts (but still need to finish linking 4-7, I need more time in the day).
http://draggedtohell.com/category/dragged-to-hell/

So, anyone have any other suggestions for others?  this thread is pretty old, I am sure that others have sprung up...