Author Topic: vampire weekend is sold out!  (Read 7167 times)

azaghal1981

Re: vampire weekend is sold out!
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 03:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by MyraEllen:

Originally posted by azaghal1981:
 I should've made myself clearer earlier; it's not the fact that people like them that baffles me; it's more the ridiculous critical acclaim.

They sound like just another dime-a-dozen indie-pop band to me.
Again, I think this is just another sign of what a dismal year it's been for music...
 [/b]
So not true!!!!!!!

It seems that every year, the critics unanimously have to praise someone who isn't worthy of it. Last year, it was James Murphy and this year, it's this band.

Then again, you may just be trying to bait  me into giving my typical response to the "this year's music sucked" comment. If that's the case, it worked. Ahh shit.
احمد

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 03:02:00 pm »

Originally posted by MyraEllen:

I should've made myself clearer earlier; it's not the fact that people like them that baffles me; it's more the ridiculous critical acclaim.

They sound like just another dime-a-dozen indie-pop band to me.
Again, I think this is just another sign of what a dismal year it's been for music...
 [/b]
So not true!!!!!!!

It seems that every year, the critics unanimously have to praise someone who isn't worthy of it. Last year, it was James Murphy and this year, it's this band.

Then again, you may just be trying to bait  me into giving my typical response to the "this year's music sucked" comment. If that's the case, it worked. Ahh shit. [/b]
Why's it matter what critics say? Their music is enjoyable and that's that.
‼‼?‼‼

azaghal1981

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 03:06:00 pm »
If it wasn't for the critics, this show wouldn't have sold out in two hours.
احمد

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 03:11:00 pm »
I probably listened to more new music so far this year than  I have in any other year of my life.

Perhaps it's just me being more open-minded and thus sampling more that I'm destined to not like anyway, but I do have to agree, this year in music has been pretty dismal.

There's been nothing that will make my top 20 for this decade, so nothing "great" this year. There's been a decent amount of "good" albums this year, but less so than in years when I looked a lot less to find them. And there's been a whole lot more crap than ever this year, probably simply because I've listened to more stuff period.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 03:28:00 pm »
  If it wasn't for the critics, this show wouldn't have sold out in two hours.
Or, perhaps, them being on MTV for an entire week. Or their song being in Step Brothers opening credits... or the radio airplay... or being played at every store in any mall....

Probably still the critics though...
‼‼?‼‼

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 03:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  I probably listened to more new music so far this year than  I have in any other year of my life.

Perhaps it's just me being more open-minded and thus sampling more that I'm destined to not like anyway, but I do have to agree, this year in music has been pretty dismal.

There's been nothing that will make my top 20 for this decade, so nothing "great" this year. There's been a decent amount of "good" albums this year, but less so than in years when I looked a lot less to find them. And there's been a whole lot more crap than ever this year, probably simply because I've listened to more stuff period.
I agree, I'd take all of last years records over this years.
‼‼?‼‼

azaghal1981

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2008, 03:34:00 pm »
I don't watch MTV. Nor have I seen Stepbrothers. Nor do I regularly go to malls. Nor do I listen to the radio. I do, however, know that they've been fluffed in every music publication both in the US and Europe except for maybe The Wire and XXL and The Source. And if you don't think that affects ticket sales, you're kidding yourself.
احمد

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 03:39:00 pm »
  I don't watch MTV. Nor have I seen Stepbrothers. Nor do I regularly go to malls. Nor do I listen to the radio. I do, however, know that they've been fluffed in every music publication both in the US and Europe. And if you don't think that affects ticket sales, you're kidding yourself.
I heard the new Coldplay album is phenomenal but I didn't go see them live. Yeah, I think it peaks peoples interests because of the hype but I don't think the only reason this show sold out is because of the critics. And just because your only source of knowing about them is critics doesn't mean that it's the only reason they sold out a show. Sadly, I do watch MTV and every week they have a new/different artist that is highlighted every week. I read online that they think it's better than playing music videos because it gives a band at least 11 hours of coverage over the week.

But feh, just saying. Im still bummed the show's sold out.
‼‼?‼‼

manimtired

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2008, 03:47:00 pm »
who in the hell has enough time to make a "top 100 of the decade list"..and who's going to care to read it except maybe a few nerds on here? you should get out more.

azaghal1981

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 03:51:00 pm »
I'm pretty sure he was kidding.
احمد

manimtired

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2008, 03:54:00 pm »
im not. he's mentioned this list before i think..

manimtired

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2008, 03:56:00 pm »
from the hold steady thread:

"It's currently #27 on my decade list. Their other albums don't even come close to the top 100 cutoff."

serpent boy

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2008, 04:33:00 pm »
I was about to buy tickets, but the show is on my fiancee's birthday. She'd kill me. Hopefully they play the NorVa or National so my brother can go see them.

You guys are crazy if you don't think there are any good records out this year. I think it's one of the better years of the decade:
 Cat Power - Jukebox
 Spiritualized - Songs in A&E
 TV on the Radio - Dear Science
 Gutter Twins - Saturnalia
 Kings of Leon - Only By The Night
 The Black Keys - Attack and Release
 The Raconteurs - Consolers of the Lonely

MonkeyPants

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2008, 04:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by serpent boy:
  I was about to buy tickets, but the show is on my fiancee's birthday. She'd kill me. Hopefully they play the NorVa or National so my brother can go see them.

You guys are crazy if you don't think there are any good records out this year. I think it's one of the better years of the decade:
 Cat Power - Jukebox
Of those, I'd take Spiritualized and maybe Gutter Twins, but it didn't seem to have staying power after the first two weeks of listens.

Seriously, I am still waiting for something great to come out this year...
PANTS

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2008, 04:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by serpent boy:

Cat Power - Jukebox
Suck me sideways I totally forgot The Raconteurs and Black Keys albums.

It wasn't the best outing by the Keys, still great. Racotneurs on the other hand is PHENOMENAL. I wore it out forever when it came out and I saw them at the club. I listened to it again a few days ago. Still amazing.
‼‼?‼‼