Author Topic: Virginia Or South Of DC Rollcall!!!  (Read 7647 times)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Virginia Or South Of DC Rollcall!!!
« on: April 16, 2007, 12:55:00 pm »
If we sort of know you as being from the Virginia area, please check in.

Sadly, there was a horrid shooting at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg only hours ago.

What I'm hearing is that there are 22 dead and 21 others being treated for bullet wounds.

The shooter is dead but they are on the look out for a possible 2nd shooter.

I truly hope that you are all okay; not that that makes the lose of anyone not known any less tragic.

-Edit-
 Now they are saying 21 dead. You know how early news is.

Also, they are saying to STAY AWAY if possible. Of course, all classes cancelled the rest of today and tomorrow.

***If you have any concerns about anyone in the area, meet or try to contact them at The Inn At Virginia Tech.

Re: Virginia Or South Of DC Rollcall!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 01:06:00 pm »
Oh my god.

sonickteam2

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 01:08:00 pm »
maybe some of us should check in so we know they werent the one shooting people!

brennser

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 01:08:00 pm »
yeah, crazy...

Jaguar

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 01:15:00 pm »
Early story:

Gunman kills 21 on Virginia Tech campus

By SUE LINDSEY, Associated Press Writer
  7 minutes ago

A gunman opened fire in a dorm and classroom at Virginia Tech on Monday, killing 21 people in the deadliest campus shooting in U.S. history. The gunman was killed, but it was unclear if he was shot by police or took his own life.

"Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions," said Virginia Tech president Charles Steger. "The university is shocked and indeed horrified."

The university reported shootings at opposite sides of the 2,600-acre campus, beginning at about 7:15 a.m. at West Ambler Johnston, a co-ed residence hall that houses 895 people, and continuing about two hours later at Norris Hall, an engineering building.

Some but not all the dead were students. One student was killed in a dorm and the others were killed in the classroom, Virginia Tech Police Chief W.R. Flinchum.

The name of the gunman was not released. It was not known if he was a student.

Up until Monday, the deadliest campus shooting in U.S. history took place in 1966 at the University of Texas, where Charles Whitman climbed to the 28th-floor observation deck of a clock tower and opened fire. He killed 16 people before he was gunned down by police. In the Columbine High bloodbath near Littleton, Colo., in 1999, two teenagers killed 12 fellow students and a teacher before taking their own lives.

After Monday's shootings, all entrances to the campus were closed. The campus was to reopen Tuesday but classes were canceled.

The university set up a meeting place for families to reunite with their children at the Inn at Virginia Tech. It also made counselors available and planned a convocation for Tuesday at the Cassell Coliseum basketball arena.

After the shootings, students were told to stay inside away from the windows.

"There's just a lot of commotion. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on," said Jason Anthony Smith, 19, who lives in the dorm where shooting took place.

Aimee Kanode, a freshman from Martinsville, said the shooting happened on the 4th floor of West Ambler Johnston dormitory, one floor above her room. Kanode's resident assistant knocked on her door about 8 a.m. to notify students to stay put.

"They had us under lockdown," Kanode said. "They temporarily lifted the lockdown, the gunman shot again."

"We're all locked in our dorms surfing the Internet trying to figure out what's going on," Kanode said.

Madison Van Duyne, a student who was interviewed by telephone on CNN, said, "We are all in lockdown. Most of the students are sitting on the floors away from the windows just trying to be as safe as possible."

Police said there had been bomb threats on campus over the past two weeks by authorities but said they have not determined a link to the shootings.

It was second time in less than a year that the campus was closed because of a shooting.

In August 2006, the opening day of classes was canceled and the campus closed when an escaped jail inmate allegedly killed a hospital guard off campus and fled to the Tech area. A sheriff's deputy involved in the manhunt was killed on a trail just off campus.

The accused gunman, William Morva, faces capital murder charges.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 01:18:00 pm »
My neighbor's two daughters attend tech.  Still no word.  He is freaking as I would be if I were in his place.
FUKIT

TheDirector217

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 01:23:00 pm »
I got one friend & another associate that both recently graduated from Va. Tech. Needless to say, they're both shook the fuck up & don't really feel much like talking.  My heart goes out to those kids & their families that were touched by this bullshit.  If you directly have relatives and/or friends that go to Va. Tech, my heart goes out to you as well . . . .

Jaguar

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 01:29:00 pm »
In case you missed my 'Edit' above:

If you need to meet, gather or contact anyone in the area, they are recommending you go to The Inn At Virginia Tech.

Also, all classes are cancelled for the rest of the day and tomorrow.

eros

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 01:38:00 pm »
I'm a VT grad and still have many contacts there.  I've heard from most of them   :(  

I know that the sometimes-regular Flawd is a VT student.

Flawd, how about checking in with us?
ʎɐʍou

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 01:42:00 pm »
29 confirmed dead right now (http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3045574)

i can't believe this asshole did this kind of damage with two 9mm semi-auto handguns, unreal shit
(o|o)

sonickteam2

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 01:44:00 pm »
i really hate when these gunmen end up killing themselves..leaving behind only theories and their CD collections to figure out why someone would kill so many random people.

Jaguar

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 01:46:00 pm »
Yeap, just heard that.

From the VT rumour mill:
 (So take it for what it's worth.)

Apparently, the shooter's girlfriend had just broken up with him. She was an Engineering student. He first went to a dorm and did some damage and then went over to Norris Hall, the Engineering building, and did even more.

Love gone wrong. Very, very wrong.

Being April, I suspect the guy was also manic depressive. I say that because March and then April tends to be when the manic depressives go waaay off the hook. Supposedly, the highest numbers are in March but to my memory, it always seems to be in April that I hear about them. But I'm speculating here.

eros

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 01:59:00 pm »
More unsubstantiated rumors...

He lined people up in the classroom and shot them execution style.

I'm on a listserv where one person has identified a dead friend of his.

I think I'm going to be sick.
ʎɐʍou

distance

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 02:01:00 pm »
i am south of dc, but a couple hours from tech.
 i've heard from both of my friends that are there (one's a grad student, one just still lives/works down there) and they're ok.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 02:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by eros:
  Flawd, how about checking in with us?
is anyone friends with flawd on myspace? any updates on there?
(o|o)