Author Topic: MBV Roll Call  (Read 33072 times)

miss pretentious

• ohai.
Re: MBV Roll Call
« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2008, 09:19:00 am »
holy sweet mother of god. that was the loudest, brightest, most sensory assaulting show i have ever seen easily. mr. p and i were only about 12 people deep in the audience, right in front of kevin shields.

they prolly played about 80 minutes or so... ymmr claimed the final notes and has mentioned before it didnt really seem as long as it was. one guy beside us wasn't wearing earplugs, he looked like he was in agony. duur.

the stage seemed really high. but that was all the better for the shorter folks at the show. overall amazing.
nothx

bearman🐻

« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2008, 09:38:00 am »
I still don't know how to put into words what I saw on Saturday night. I know that it's cliche to say that My Bloody Valentine is a great band, that "Loveless" is a work of art, but until I had the opportunity to see them in concert I really didn't appreciate what it's like to feel music hit your body like waves slamming against you when you're in the ocean. The volume initially seemed excessive, self-indulgent, even comical. But by the end, it all just made sense. MBV was there to be seen, heard, and FELT. And it wasn't just a nudge...they were there to rattle every bone in your body. I've never heard anything that loud in my life, but everything leading up to "You Made Me Realize" was just gorgeous. But that song needed to be experienced in the flesh. You cannot make a live My Bloody Valentine record. Nothing will substitute for being there. I was actually standing right in front of the PA. I was so overheated and I took ice cubes and ran them all on my head, then the breeze from the speakers cooled me down. The vibration made it tough to breathe, but at that point all you can do was just try to absorb the sound. By the end, I've got to say that it was one of those nights you just know you'll never forget. I still can't believe I was there. Samantha, great to meet you, sorry we got separated...keep me posted on your future shows.

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2008, 11:04:00 am »
chicago setlist:

I Only Said
 When You Sleep
 You Never Should
 When You Wake
 Cigarette in Your Bed
 Come in Alone
 Only Shallow
 Thorn
 Nothing Much to Lose
 To Here Knows When
 Slow
 Soon
 Feed Me With Your Kiss
 You Made Me Realise
nothx

Got Haggis?

« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2008, 10:51:00 pm »
nice to hear that the shows were amazing.....wish I could have gone!!! Guess I will just have to wait for a DC area show in the next few years......hey seth

Samantha

« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2008, 12:48:00 am »
Thanks for posting the set list Miss P!

And Bearman...it was my fault we got separated.  That night will go down in history as the night I consumed more alcohol than I ever have in one night my life.  God.

Sorry to be a downer, but I have to say, I did think the volume was excessive, if only because when I took a "peak" with my earplugs, the sound was IMMACULATE.  I've never heard such brilliance.  It seemed a shame to have to fuck up the sound with lousy earplugs.  I found that disappointing and wish I could've stood to listen without, but HOLY SHIT it was loud!  I also have to complain that the venue sucked, it was ridiculously hot and there was no good place to stand...we finally stood in the very back where it was cooler and we could see better than when we were halfway up.  And then my last complaint is YMMR...I'm sorry, but the "freight train" did not need to be 15 or whatever minutes.  After awhile it was confusing, and I would've liked more music instead of all that noise...

That said, it was a beautiful show, Miss P said it @ "most sensory assaulting show."  Absolutely one of a kind.  And To Here Knows When was amazing.  Like a religious experience.  Listening to the albums from now on is just going to be kind of...flat.  The show was over too soon.

azaghal1981

« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2008, 12:55:00 am »
I thought everyone knew going into the show that YMMR will contain a 20+ minute noise jam.

It pretty much became a staple during the Loveless tour. Did you really feel as though it lasted long? Felt like 5 minutes to me.
احمد

Samantha

« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2008, 01:04:00 am »
I realised there would be a jam...but I didn't realise it would be a continuous freight train, although I was warned about the freight train itself.  Just not the extent...and yeah, it felt like it lasted forever...I really just wanted to hear more of everything else!

azaghal1981

« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2008, 01:10:00 am »
Gotcha.

Did you spring for the Etymotics or just use the plugs they provided?

I used my Etymotics and while they did cut down significantly on the db's, I don't think any sound quality was compromised. Was going to compare the two sets but no way was I going to pull the pair that I already had in out during that show and risk any hearing loss.
احمد

Samantha

« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2008, 01:26:00 am »
I completely forgot any earplugs and used my gf's superfoam things.  They definitely did compromise the sound.  That was the downer of the evening, because I did pull them out to test the waters, and was just blown away by the perfection of the sound...just why did it have to be so LOUD?  Oh well, can only blame myself for not trying different ear plugs.  That was the very first time I'd ever worn any at all!  So I am uneducated.

bearman🐻

« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2008, 09:17:00 am »
I started off with the super earfoam ones and switched to my Etymotics...smartest decision I've made in a long time. My sister and her bf used a different kind and their ears were ringing even WITH the earplugs. So I think that in the future I'll have to get a spare set of Etymotics. Those things are great and I felt like I got the full MBV effect even with them in.

azaghal1981

« Reply #100 on: October 01, 2008, 10:18:00 am »
I'm listening to the Chicago show now.

It's the best one I've heard sound quality-wise thus far.
 Vocals are low in the mix but that goes without saying. Everything else, however sounds perfect. Roseland (especially tuesday) sadly didn't come out nearly as good on tape.
احمد

jd930

« Reply #101 on: October 01, 2008, 01:42:00 pm »
So Monday from Roseland is poor as well? That's too bad.  Was hoping to get a copy of it.

azaghal1981

« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2008, 01:49:00 pm »
It's ok.

Tuesday is too muddy, though.

I'll try to upload monday today.
احمد

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #103 on: October 03, 2008, 12:20:00 am »
Originally posted by you be betty:
  i just closed my eyes, breathed, and meditated.  it was pretty sweet.  when it ended i had this unexplainable feeling, like i had just been spiritually cleansed or something...it was a magical evening.  
This is exactly why we call it Bliss. Such a wonderful experience. I've always said that being in the presence of the Bliss is like a sonic massage. A live Airiel show will do that to you albeit not to the level of a MBV massaging.

Betty, consider yourself annointed.   ;)

Darth Ed

« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2008, 12:40:00 pm »