Author Topic: NHL Thread 2008-2009  (Read 13335 times)

xcanuck

Re: NHL Thread 2008-2009
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 02:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by very sonick:
 and isnt it soon, there are a couple games in Europe either next weekend or the weekend after.
The season starts with games in Stockhold (Ottawa vs Pittsburgh) and Prague (NYR vs Tampa).

Here's a fantastic bit of serendipity. We booked our vacation to Munich and Prague months ago. So imagine my surprise when we realized we'd be in Prague for both the NYR/Tampa games. Our friend (who's going with us) works for the NCAA and has good connections. Good enough to get us tickets for one of the games there. Should be fun.

People needing a pre-season fix can watch MSG on cable tonite to catch the Sens and Rangers (they played on Sat. Sloppy game but fun to watch). Check StubHub for cheap preseason Caps tix. We grabbed a pair for $11 each (plus s/c) for front row club seats.

Having said that, a few comments about the upcoming season:

- as much as I'd love to see my Habs pull it off this season, I still think last year was an anomaly. They'll finish 5th overall.

- no one in the east can match the west. Look for the winner to come from there. I think the Wings will repeat.

- watch for Chicago and Tampa. They're going to be seriously fun to watch. Some very talented kids on those teams.

- enjoy the hockey while you can. I'm betting on another lockout in four years when the current CBA expires.

ratioci nation

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 02:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by xcanuck:

- enjoy the hockey while you can. I'm betting on another lockout in four years when the current CBA expires.
I was just reading they are looking to expand by 2012, they even mentioned Portland (no chance in hell here though I think).  Hopefully expansion plans would lead to a short lockout.

slappy

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 03:41:00 pm »
I think a lot depends on how well the KHL does in the next couple years.
 People kinda sleep on it as just a renamed Russian Super League, but it now also includes teams from Latvia, Kazakhstan, and Belarus. They are also planning on expanding into other countries like Sweden, Finland, Czech Rep., Ukraine, and Germany.
 Quality teams like Frölunda and Kärpät have been asked to join.
 I don't think the owners will be so likely to let it go to another lockout.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 03:53:00 pm »
  - no one in the east can match the west. Look for the winner to come from there.
Smartest thing said yet.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 04:39:00 pm »
i agree and go further with no one in the west can match the wings
o/\o

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2008, 04:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  i agree and go further with no one in the west can match the wings
Goalies are always the great equalizer in hockey. If Giguere stood on his head in front of a Niedermayer/Pronger-lead defense, they could win a series against the Wings.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2008, 04:53:00 pm »
i can qualify it with 'in lieu of other-worldly goalies displays and massive injuries', but i figure thats implied before the first puck is dropped
o/\o

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2008, 05:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  i can qualify it with 'in lieu of other-worldly goalies displays and massive injuries', but i figure thats implied before the first puck is dropped
OK then yes. Barring an avalanche wiping out half the team, no team on talent alone can touch Detroit's skaters.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2008, 07:08:00 pm »
LET'S GO FLYERS!
FUKIT

sonickteam2

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2008, 09:57:00 am »
games start tonight folks.  Leafs/Wings and Bruins/Avs on Versus.  cant wait to see how many HD games Dish will offer this year.

and i also cant believe i ended up with Ovechkin, Malkin and Zetterberg on one of my fantasy teams.  in a 10 team league no less.

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2008, 10:02:00 am »
 and i also cant believe i ended up with Ovechkin, Malkin and Zetterberg on one of my fantasy teams.  in a 10 team league no less.
Are you playing with idiots? That's insane (especially if your league gives points for +/-)!

sonickteam2

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2008, 10:37:00 am »
Originally posted by Julian, certified WEBLEBRITY:

Are you playing with idiots? That's insane (especially if your league gives points for +/-)! [/b]
i got zetterburg and Ovechkin in the draft, i traded for Malkin with Kaberle/Savard/Backstrom.

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2008, 10:52:00 am »
  i got zetterburg and Ovechkin in the draft, i traded for Malkin with Kaberle/Savard/Backstrom.
If the other person needed help across the board, that's a fair trade for both sides. Savard isn't a game changer in real-life but his fantasy numbers are always top-shelf.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2008, 03:09:00 pm »
This thread was interesting till you started with the fantasy league shit...bye.

Are we sure there isn't a 'thread ingore' option?

Venerable Bede

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2008, 03:26:00 pm »
  games start tonight folks.  Leafs/Wings and Bruins/Avs on Versus.  cant wait to see how many HD games Dish will offer this year.

i'm contemplating getting home ice on directv, price seems reasonable, and it's gonna have a fair amount of hd games every week. . .while it wouldn't necessarily help me with sharks games, since they are local, i would like to get more pens games. . .

let's hope the wings/hawks game at wrigley looks just as good as the pens/sabres game last year.  that game even got the sports guy to start watching hockey again.
OU812