Author Topic: are people really that excited about cloverfield?  (Read 4531 times)

walkonby

are people really that excited about cloverfield?
« on: January 16, 2008, 12:24:00 pm »
i only saw the original teaser trailer in the summer, and haven't bothered to youtube to watch the full length (give away the entire movie) trailers.  does this thing look worthy, or will it be a stinker like cruise's war of the worlds? not having television (i think i'm a dork) leaves me to have to watch lost on netflix, four episodes at a time.  i love lost, though season three is a little slow up the part about the time traveling, pyschic boat guy.  if the movie  s[t]inks after being number one for a few weeks--because all hyped films, regardless of quality, do--will it somehow effect lost?  why do you care? i don't know; just thought it was something different to talk about.

nkotb

Re: are people really that excited about cloverfield?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 12:37:00 pm »
I'm a little psyched for it, even though I'm pretty sure it'll be a disappointment.  Still, it has one of the major milestones I look for in a movie: lots of shit blowing up.

As far as trailers go, none I've seen have shown anything at all, which is kind of cool.  That being said, let's not have any internet nerd-type douche bags drop spoilers here unannounced; that shit is wack.

And I Lost love too; only two weeks away!

Originally posted by walkonby:
  i only saw the original teaser trailer in the summer, and haven't bothered to youtube to watch the full length (give away the entire movie) trailers.  does this thing look worthy, or will it be a stinker like cruise's war of the worlds? not having television (i think i'm a dork) leaves me to have to watch lost on netflix, four episodes at a time.  i love lost, though season three is a little slow up the part about the time traveling, pyschic boat guy.  if the movie  s[t]inks after being number one for a few weeks--because all hyped films, regardless of quality, do--will it somehow effect lost?  why do you care? i don't know; just thought it was something different to talk about.

K8teebug

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 12:38:00 pm »
I was supposed to see this on Sunday, but am skipping it to watch football.  It seems like it would be ok.  Mostly, I'm worried about getting motion sickness like I did when I went to see Blair Witch or Dancer in the Dark.

Lost Season 3 gets better.  It's worth it for the last few episodes.  I'm going to start watching it again this weekend.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 12:40:00 pm »
   not having television (i think i'm a dork)

Not having a television doesn't make you a dork.  You're a dork for entirely other reasons.

Brian

P.S.  Who wants to see the Cloverfield monster fight the Godzilla monster to a Puff Daddy dance remix of a Led Zeppelin song?  C'mon!  Who's with me?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 12:40:00 pm »
i'm more excited about AMC's latest attempt at becoming the HBO of basic cable with their new series "Breaking Bad"... they already proved their ability to create great stuff with "Mad Men"
T.Rex

Relaxer

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 12:54:00 pm »
I'm waiting to hear how bad the shakey-cam is in this thing. That's one trend in movies that I just can't stand. I couldn't even chew during the most recent Bourne movie because I kept getting dizzy.
oword

RustyOrgan

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 12:56:00 pm »
uhm - piece-of-shit?

eros

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 01:01:00 pm »
Cloverfield = Snakes on a Plane
ʎɐʍou

tigersscareme

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 01:18:00 pm »
did anyone see the movie 'in the pocket' about DC go-go?
 i saw that at the lincoln theatre and i actually had to go to the bathroom and throw up from motion sickness from that one.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 01:24:00 pm »
Sunday I took my son to the Natural History museum and while we were there we saw the Sea Monsters 3D IMAX movie.

Holy crap!  This 3d stuff is off the charts cool.  A far cry from anything I ever saw way back in the days paper 3d glasses and movies on channel 20.

Henry was reaching out trying to touch the fishies and monsters as they swam out of the screen...

They showed a trailer for the upcoming U2 3D film and it looked way cool.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 01:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by eros:
I started to watch SOAP but when the snake leapt out of the toilet on to some dude's manhood it could have only gone downhill further downhill from there...
T.Rex

nkotb

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 01:37:00 pm »
The problem with SOAP is that it wasn't even remotely bad enough to be good.  Unfortunately, it stayed above campy, which just pointed out how really shitty the movie was.

Originally posted by kosmo:

Originally posted by eros:
I started to watch SOAP but when the snake leapt out of the toilet on to some dude's manhood it could have only gone downhill further downhill from there... [/b]

Chevy Chase

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 02:01:00 pm »
Saw a screening last night.  It is not as bad as Snakes on a Plane, but still pretty weak.  Characters and dialogue are z-grade.  And yes, the camerawork is extremely shaky.  That is basically the only time the film works -- when it is loud and disorienting.  The monster looks like (SPOILER) a big CGI monster!  Also, there were tons of people trying to get in to the screening.  Unlike SOAP, this film is rated PG-13 and will probably make a ton of cash this weekend.  Will be quickly forgotten though.

walkonby

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 02:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by Brian Wallace:

not having television (i think i'm a dork)

Not having a television doesn't make you a dork.  You're a dork for entirely other reasons.

Brian

P.S.  Who wants to see the Cloverfield monster fight the Godzilla monster to a Puff Daddy dance remix of a Led Zeppelin song?  C'mon!  Who's with me? [/b]
at least i'm not tom cruise explaining scientogoly.

heather

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 02:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by tigers scare me:
  did anyone see the movie 'in the pocket' about DC go-go?
 i saw that at the lincoln theatre and i actually had to go to the bathroom and throw up from motion sickness from that one.
was this an event, years ago, w/ q and not u?  i was there, too.  sorry i can't relate to the motion sickness though...