Author Topic: Juno and other recent flicks  (Read 13823 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: Juno and other recent flicks
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2008, 03:32:00 pm »
The movie was anything but subtle. It scared the living hell outta me.

Originally posted by K8teebug:
  I loved that it was subtle and they didn't make a big scene about how the main character was killed.
(_|_)

K8teebug

« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2008, 03:44:00 pm »
I am not trying to say the entire movie was subtle.  I just mean that I liked that the death "scene" was more just a flash, and not a huge drawn out scene, as in most movies.

You want to really be freaked out?  Read McCarthy's The Road.  You can read it in a day.

nkotb

« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2008, 03:45:00 pm »
Second vote for "The Road."  I burned through that book in about a day and a half, and then couldn't stop thinking about it for months.  Chilling stuff.

Originally posted by K8teebug:
  I am not trying to say the entire movie was subtle.  I just mean that I liked that the death "scene" was more just a flash, and not a huge drawn out scene, as in most movies.

You want to really be freaked out?  Read McCarthy's The Road.  You can read it in a day.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2008, 04:25:00 pm »
according to  IMDB and  wiki, a movie version of The Road is currently in pre-production.
<sig>

K8teebug

« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2008, 04:27:00 pm »
It's going to be directed by the guy who did The Proposition.  Another awesome gory tale.  kick ass.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2008, 04:28:00 pm »
wowee thanks for the research...

Originally posted by sweetcell:
  according to  IMDB and  wiki, a movie version of The Road is currently in pre-production.
(_|_)

lily1

« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2008, 01:27:00 am »
for those of you that saw there will be blood, how many read the book prior?

lily1

« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2008, 01:32:00 am »
interesting. i had the complete opposite reaction with juno.

saw charlie wilson's war over the weekend. that's a great movie to go with a group of friends and out for beers after to discuss the effects of wilson's/congress at the time's legacy.

and saw the water horse last night. so not a kid movie. well, maybe grade school but definitely not younger. in case any of you with kids were thinking about taking them to this film.

Originally posted by Darth Ed:

Juno was fun, but I couldn't help comparing it (unfavorably) to last year's Knocked Up by Judd Apatow.  You might not think so, but I feel that Knocked Up is a much better film overall. Certainly funnier, but I think it's richer thematically as well. Maybe I just relate to it more because they are adults in Knocked Up, as opposed to high school students in Juno. Juno is definitely worth seeing though. Ellen Page is a rock star, and the dialogue has that hyper-literate "Gilmore Girls" quality that I typically enjoy.

bearman🐻

« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2008, 04:25:00 pm »
I can't say enough good things about Persepolis. Just one of those movies where the story, animation, humor, history, and humanity all come together nicely. I enjoyed this movie a lot. Anyone else see it? Thoughts?

Chulahoma

« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2008, 04:38:00 pm »
i'm going to see it this weekend, but i hope they release it in more theatres than just E street.

Originally posted by bearman:
  I can't say enough good things about Persepolis. Just one of those movies where the story, animation, humor, history, and humanity all come together nicely. I enjoyed this movie a lot. Anyone else see it? Thoughts?

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2008, 05:53:00 pm »
saw it on christmas day. loved the story and animation - 2D at its best. actually was a perfect movie for christmas day, and surprisingly enough - it wasnt too packed. I am hoping it gets to a lot more cities as its a great film.

i cant wait to see 4 months, 3 weeks .... Heard nothing but amazing things about this film.
HeyLa

tigersscareme

« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2008, 06:14:00 pm »
not new, but only in DC 'til friday-

Diva is playing at E street.
 Great if you're a Francophile.

Not great if you had to sit next to the douchebags I sat next to last night.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2008, 08:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by wanderlust j. marshmallow:
  SPOILER

I just wish the directors showed how the main character was killed. There was a big build up leading to it, then bam, he's already dead. That was the most disappointing part to me. They had no problem showing psychoboy's car accident in the end?? (what was the point of that anyway?).
 Still, it's a good movie and psychoboy really freaked me out!

that wasn't in the book, and i'm glad the coen's stayed true to the book there.  the story is that mccarthy sent a 500 page book to his publishers, the publishers were none to pleased, so mccarthy started taking things out, including the face-off.

a movie version of the road could be interesting. . .same with the much talked about adaptation of "blood meridian."
OU812

« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2008, 08:33:00 pm »
I haven't seen it, but did see the writer at an in-store at Politics and Prose years ago.