Author Topic: Lifestyles of the rich and suburban  (Read 4886 times)

vansmack

Lifestyles of the rich and suburban
« on: September 25, 2006, 06:57:00 pm »
Lifestyles of the rich and suburban

The Washington metropolitan area is now home to five of the ten richest large counties in America, including the top three, according to new data from the Census Bureau. The region is also the second wealthiest in the countryâ??behind San Joseâ??and has the lowest poverty rate (7%) of any big metropolitan area. The Census Bureau defines a big county as having more than 250,000 people. Loudoun County, Virginia, with an estimated median household income of $98,000, is the richest such county in America; Fairfax County, Virginia, and Howard County, Maryland, are close behind, with median household incomes of $94,000 and $91,000, respectively. Marylandâ??s Montgomery County is sixth, with slightly more than $82,000, and Virginiaâ??s Prince William County is seventh, with a median household income of just under $82,000.

The rise in wealth, reported the Washington Post, stems in part from the technology boom of the 1990s, which established the suburbs of Maryland and Virginia as hubs for defence, aerospace and biotechnology work. The regionâ??s businesses have since been flush with federal cash as they win new security and defence contracts in the wake of the terrorist attacks of 2001.
27>34

vansmack

Re: Lifestyles of the rich and suburban
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 06:59:00 pm »
The long, long walk home

The Census Bureau also had more discouraging news for the Washington region: a new study found that residents of the cityâ??s outer suburbs have the second-longest commute in America. The study, released in August, found that residents of the Districtâ??s far suburbs suffer an average commute of 33-minutes between home and work, shorter only than the 34-minute commute of New York Cityâ??s suburbanites.

The District remains a fertile place for jobs, but the high cost of housing in and near the city means more people are commuting from distant suburbs. To ease their journeys, a growing number of people are using public transport, encouraged in part by new, city-mandated employer subsidies. Of the areaâ??s workforce, 13% travels on public trains and busesâ??a greater share of local commuters than in any other city except for New York and San Francisco. In 2000 Washington, DC had ranked behind Boston and Chicago as well.
27>34

walkonby

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 07:15:00 pm »
how much of this is because of:

a. bens chili bowl

b. the food at birchmere

c. restaurants on m street

d. you be betty

e. good charlotte playing nine thirty

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 07:21:00 pm »
you can go ahead and point the finger but my yearly household income is not that much.  i only GO to a rich school...

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 07:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by you be betty:
  you can go ahead and point the finger but my yearly household income is not that much.  i only GO to a rich school...
Just out of curiosity, what do you consider to be "not that much"?

you be betty

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 02:49:00 pm »
Less than $120,000 a year total/family.  It's comfortable, but I'm definitely poor compared to most of my school.  Perspective, perspective...

brennser

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 03:07:00 pm »
The study, released in August, found that residents of the Districtâ??s far suburbs suffer an average commute of 33-minutes between home and work, shorter only than the 34-minute commute of New York Cityâ??s suburbanites.  
ha, most people in the outer suburbs would kill for a 30 minutes commute....folks in Germantown are looking at an hour each way I would surmise......cue Rhett telling us how he can get from door to door in 30 mins....

brennser

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 03:09:00 pm »
$98,000, is the richest such county in America; Fairfax County, Virginia, and Howard County, Maryland, are close behind, with median household incomes of $94,000 and $91,000, respectively. Marylandâ??s Montgomery County is sixth, with slightly more than $82,000, and Virginiaâ??s Prince William County is seventh, with a median household income of just under $82,000.

I wouldn't get out of bed in the morning for $98,000 a year   ;)

ggw

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 03:26:00 pm »
  Less than $120,000 a year total/family.  It's comfortable, but I'm definitely poor compared to most of my school.  Perspective, perspective...
Median household income for the U.S. is $46,000.  Perspective, perspective...

bigyellow100

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 04:07:00 pm »
betty, what school do you go to?

you be betty

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 04:23:00 pm »
That one where they rob Smoothie King.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 04:36:00 pm »
We'll take you in Betty.  We're pretty uneducated over here in my crib, but we make more than your rents and the schools in my hood rock.

smakawhat

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 04:59:00 pm »
gotta take the good with the bad!