Author Topic: Steve Albini is at it again...  (Read 14831 times)

Space Freely

Re: Steve Albini is at it again...
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2023, 10:49:18 am »
For the record, I don't put much stock in anything St. Vincent says. Apparently she needs a guitar tech to hit which pedals she needs to use for particular songs. I think she didn't do herself many favors when she basically ruined Sleater Kinney. So just because she's into Steely Dan, that doesn't say much.

Interesting. Do you have a link about the guitar tech hitting the pedals?

Some people would say she made Sleater Kinney sound more tolerable.

I'm kind of neutral on Steely Dan, and St. Vincent isn't going to change my mind. I can think of many others bands that are much easier to hate.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 10:51:09 am by Space Freely »

Yada

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2023, 11:15:51 am »
wait, how did st. vincent ruin sleater kinney?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2023, 11:22:21 am »
I *think* she stole away the drummer who was leaving S-K anyway?
LVMH

bearman🐻

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2023, 03:23:01 pm »
For the record, I don't put much stock in anything St. Vincent says. Apparently she needs a guitar tech to hit which pedals she needs to use for particular songs. I think she didn't do herself many favors when she basically ruined Sleater Kinney. So just because she's into Steely Dan, that doesn't say much.

I'm kind of neutral on Steely Dan, and St. Vincent isn't going to change my mind. I can think of many others bands that are much easier to hate.

No. I heard that one directly from a musician friend who would know for sure.

bearman🐻

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2023, 03:23:49 pm »

By pushing Janet Weiss out of the band. Along with some other unsavory drama.

Space Freely

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2023, 03:39:25 pm »

Does she have her guitar tech help her teach her class?

https://www.masterclass.com/classes/st-vincent-teaches-creativity-and-songwriting/chapters/meet-your-instructor-st-vincent-a-k-a-annie-clark

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2023, 04:39:20 pm »
For the record, I don't put much stock in anything St. Vincent says. Apparently she needs a guitar tech to hit which pedals she needs to use for particular songs.

the pedals thing is a non-story, IMO.  there are a good number of guitarists that get their techs, or a computer via MIDI, to do their pedal/sound switching. 

the number of pedal/preset combinations a guitarist has to remember can be overwhelming if they want to sound live like they did on the album.  given all the other stuff an artist on stage has to remember and do, hitting the correct combo of pedals isn't something that is going to impress the crowd - but getting the combos wrong is going to drag the show down.  i'd rather have a solid show by a guitarist who isn't stepping on his/her own stompboxes, than have a guitarist mess up a song because they accidentally put distortion on a clean rhythm part (which in turn makes the drummer jump and miss a beat, pisses off the singer so they're no longer focused on their performance, etc.)
<sig>