Author Topic: Board bikers  (Read 5570 times)

brennser

Re: Board bikers
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2004, 11:46:00 am »
did you sell your litespeed? didn't you have one of those in scotland?

mankie

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2004, 11:50:00 am »
Markie...remember the factory rack from MINI requires drilling the roof. I have a mate who has an after market rack on his Cooper that doesn't require drilling so will find out the make to save you the hassle of researching it if you like.

I'm going out on Sunday morning, but not off-road. I'm going up Rte 28 in MD out to Point Of Rocks and back. It's a 50 miler, which will be about a 3 hour ride for my old self if anyone cares to join me....I'm the turtle, not the hare!  :)  

BTW....the darker side of bikers!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/dorset/3632417.stm

markie

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2004, 11:52:00 am »
I had three bikes in Scotland. But they never made it over here.

Litespeed got sold.

Knackered Clockwork orange got given away.

Ultegra equipped Reynolds 653 Dynatech road bike is at my parents.

So I have not owned a bike properly for 5 years. But I have had great fun looking at Bungle's bum whilst following him. So the bike is a Salsa a la Carte with main tubes of Mankies favourite material, Reynolds 853. Its got just about a complete 9speed XT groupset.

markie

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2004, 11:55:00 am »
No, I dont really like bike racks. Its like an advert to be robbed.

I am happy to fold the seats down. Thanks though.

Are you sure you wont go offroad?

I dont think I could keep up with you on  knobbly tires, especially after cycling the day before.

mankie

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2004, 12:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by mark e smith:
  No, I dont really like bike racks. Its like an advert to be robbed.

I am happy to fold the seats down. Thanks though.

Are you sure you wont go offroad?

I dont think I could keep up with you on  knobbly tires, especially after cycling the day before.
I'm in the opposite situation to you. I just took knobbly tires of my mtn so I could ride pave paths more, so not set up for off-road. Besides, I have a century ride coming up soon so have to log some serious road miles or I'll never make it.

markie

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2004, 12:20:00 pm »
Its not miles you need, its time on the bike. Go on put the knoblies back on, it only takes a few minutes.

Are you doing the century in a group, if so you will be Ok. If you are doing it solo it might be a bit of a slog without any drafting.

mankie

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2004, 12:35:00 pm »
  Its not miles you need, its time on the bike. Go on put the knoblies back on, it only takes a few minutes.

Are you doing the century in a group, if so you will be Ok. If you are doing it solo it might be a bit of a slog without any drafting.
I'm cycling with a Masser tech, but he's way, way out of my league...his average speed is 21mph and mine is about 16-17mph so I'll feel like I'd be holding him back, although he has been cycling for years and 15 years younger than me! It's a charity ride so there'll be tons of bikes, so I know I won't be the slowest, I'm guessing middle of the pack somewhere, which is fine with me.

markie

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2004, 12:39:00 pm »
16-17mph is really high for travelling alone. You will end up as the slowest of the real cyclists and much better than most casual bike riders.

Just try and get in a group of 5 to 10 riders whoe share the work at the front, then you will be in the low 20's without too much exertion.

thirsty moore

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2004, 12:59:00 pm »
I always thought the swimmers who would draft off of me in practice were fuckers.  

Just try and get in a group of 5 to 10 riders whoe share the work at the front, then you will be in the low 20's without too much exertion.

ggw

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2004, 01:00:00 pm »
  If I get my bike tonight and dont break it Saturday, does someone want to go out Sunday morning? I have a strong preference for off-road. I dont mind driving somewhere or even having to pick someone up.
I'll ride on Sunday morning, as long as we will be done before 1:00.

Schaeffer Farms?
 Fountainhead?

thirsty moore

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2004, 01:01:00 pm »
All the drafters hang out on the Roark trail.  :D  

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Fountainhead?

ggw

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2004, 01:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  All the drafters hang out on the Roark trail.   :D  

Fountainhead?
[/b]
http://www.roarkcycle.com/toc.html

markie

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2004, 01:11:00 pm »
  [I'll ride on Sunday morning, as long as we will be done before 1:00.

Schaeffer Farms?
 Fountainhead?
Can I let you know tonight? If I get my bike, you are on. I dont mind either place. I am more skillful than fit, though. I am a bit intimidated knowing you did the marathon last year.....

ggw

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2004, 01:15:00 pm »
 Can I let you know tonight? If I get my bike, you are on. I dont mind either place. I am more skillful than fit, though. I am a bit intimidated knowing you did the marathon last year.....
Just let me know.

Don't be intimidated -- I haven't been on the bike a lot in the last year, as I've been running more often.

thirsty moore

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2004, 01:16:00 pm »
That's hilarious.

http://www.roarkcycle.com/toc.html