Author Topic: Black Eyes roll call  (Read 11162 times)

Re: Black Eyes roll call
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2003, 01:20:00 pm »
Ummm...I dunno. He has played Grudge Fuck all four times I've seen him...as a Scud Mountain Boy, as a duo with Peyton, and twice with the current band. So no doubt he will play it again.

"Flaming Wreck" is probably my favorite, and that was played.

For sentimental reasons, I would have like to have heard the cover of "Please Mr. Please", which the Scuds did, but that probably would have been too much to ask for...

The reviewer did get one thing wrong...he played "Bum Leg", which contains the f-word, solo. He played "Grudge Fuck" with the entire band.

Originally posted by jadetree:

Originally posted by Rhett Miller:

Pernice returned for a encore and performed a song (with an title unfit for a family newspaper) that he wrote for his previous band, the Scud Mountain Boys, but it was clear that when the rest of band joined him for several more songs -- including a fine take on the Pretenders' "Talk of the Town" -- that his art is far more fully formed now. And Saturday's show, which brimmed with masterly songcraft, felt like the work of an artist looking down from a glowing creative peak.

Oh Christ, he played Grudge Fuck, my favorite Scud Mountain Boys song, any other bad news for me? [/b]

mankie

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2003, 01:24:00 pm »
Rhett, the point I was making was that the Black Eyes fans obviously thought the Black Eyes show was the big one. Just because Rhettie likes it doesn't make it big!

I will check the Pernice Brothers out though.

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2003, 01:36:00 pm »
Ok, I looked them up, and they are a local band.

I'm afraid I'm a bit ignorant of the local scene.

mankie

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2003, 01:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:

I'm afraid I'm a bit ignorant of the local scene.

I can assure you, you know more than I do.  ;)

Jaguär

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2003, 01:50:00 pm »
Mankie, you might actually like the Pernice Brothers. Not necessarily love but be pleasantly surprised. I've been hearing some good songs of theirs lately.

Now Black Eyes, don't even ask! Neither you, Rhett, nor I could stomach 2 seconds with them. Leave them to Walkman and Paige. You can trust me on that one!   :eek:

walkman

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2003, 03:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
  Mankie, you might actually like the Pernice Brothers. Not necessarily love but be pleasantly surprised. I've been hearing some good songs of theirs lately.

Now Black Eyes, don't even ask! Neither you, Rhett, nor I could stomach 2 seconds with them. Leave them to Walkman and Paige. You can trust me on that one!    :eek:  
Ah, Jag...I get all starry-eyed when the fine gents in Phaser take the stage, and yet you can't take pleasure in DC's finest neo-no-wave-art-funk quintet...it's a strange world.

I have no doubt, from what I've heard about Rhett, that Black Eyes would be about as enjoyable to a man of his tastes as a frontal lobotomy.

Jaguär

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2003, 06:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkman:

Originally posted by Jaguär:

Now Black Eyes, don't even ask! Neither you, Rhett, nor I could stomach 2 seconds with them. Leave them to Walkman and Paige. You can trust me on that one!      :eek:    
Ah, Jag...I get all starry-eyed when the fine gents in Phaser take the stage, and yet you can't take pleasure in DC's finest neo-no-wave-art-funk quintet...it's a strange world.

I have no doubt, from what I've heard about Rhett, that Black Eyes would be about as enjoyable to a man of his tastes as a frontal lobotomy. [/b]
I'm sorry Walkman, but I've tried. I've had that frontal lobotomy known as Black Eyes, and I didn't survive.    :eek:    I tried, I really did. It's all that screaming that I can't take. At least I've seen them live and stayed through the entire set. It wasn't easy though. You know I fully support the boys, as long as I'm not in ear shot.

paige

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2003, 06:43:00 pm »
Ft. Reno thursday... woooooohoooo!!   :D   Black Eyes, outside, summer evening, maybe see walkman? couldn't get better than that!

walkman

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2003, 01:54:00 am »
Originally posted by paige:
  Ft. Reno thursday... woooooohoooo!!    :D    Black Eyes, outside, summer evening, maybe see walkman? couldn't get better than that!
I agree...seeing myself on a beautiful Thursday night would be a real treat.  Oh yeah, and that band too.  

By the way, I was sitting with Hugh in the Red Room before the show, and just as he gets up to say hi to an old friend, this woman comes over to the table and, mistaking me for Daniel (!!) begins to tell me how much she loves the band and how she came up from Florida to see them.  It should be noted, by the way, that with the exception of our scrawniness, Daniel and I share hardly any physical features.  Anyway, I told the admirer that we'd been dropped from Dischord and had just signed to RCA for a fat check.  Her expression was absolutely priceless.

P.S.  Paige, how shall I recognize you at the Fort?

paige

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2003, 08:57:00 am »
[I agree...seeing myself on a beautiful Thursday night would be a real treat.  Oh yeah, and that band too.  

By the way, I was sitting with Hugh in the Red Room before the show, and just as he gets up to say hi to an old friend, this woman comes over to the table and, mistaking me for Daniel (!!) begins to tell me how much she loves the band and how she came up from Florida to see them.  It should be noted, by the way, that with the exception of our scrawniness, Daniel and I share hardly any physical features.  Anyway, I told the admirer that we'd been dropped from Dischord and had just signed to RCA for a fat check.  Her expression was absolutely priceless.

P.S.  Paige, how shall I recognize you at the Fort? [/QB][/QUOTE]

YOU got mistaken for daniel? ok.... now i really have a board crush on you  ;)  

hmmm how to recognize me? well, i don't know what i will actually be wearing but i am tall-ish with shoulder length light brown/burgundyish hair, tan, always wearing lime green NB's... and i'm usually the spastic girl talking too much. i'm excited! i hope the weather stays this lovely.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2003, 10:35:00 am »
Originally posted by paige:
  Ft. Reno thursday... woooooohoooo!!    :D    Black Eyes, outside, summer evening, maybe see walkman? couldn't get better than that!
I hate to have to type these words, but I will be out of town and will miss the show... I am counting on you two (Paige and Walkman) to dance excitedly in my place.

Captain Jack

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2003, 09:10:00 pm »
hmmm how to recognize me? well, i don't know what i will actually be wearing but i am tall-ish with shoulder length light brown/burgundyish hair, tan, always wearing lime green NB's... and i'm usually the spastic girl talking too much. i'm excited! i hope the weather stays this lovely. [/QB]
Whats an NB, ah fuck, these mexican computers dont have question marks. fuck. or apostrophes. That calls for another round.

paige

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2003, 09:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by kurosawa-b/w:
  I hate to have to type these words, but I will be out of town and will miss the show... I am counting on you two (Paige and Walkman) to dance excitedly in my place.
i will be dancing like a maniac.... maybe.
 i'm a horrible dancer.
 i'm just too self conscious   :(

paige

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2003, 04:15:00 pm »
ok so is going tonight? what/who should i look for? let me know  ;)

mankie

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2003, 04:16:00 pm »
So these Black Eyes characters...what's their gaff? A bunch of talentless retards with loads of energy?