Author Topic: On The Eve of the New Season: North of the Border Editio  (Read 207500 times)

vansmack

Re: On The Eve of the New Season: North of the Border Editio
« Reply #135 on: May 21, 2007, 02:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by le sonick:
  giguere will choke sooner or later...end of story.  

sorry, smackie, i would just really love to see Canada get the cup back for a year!
It's fine to root for Canada, but at least be realistic about it.  He's a proven playoff net minder - Conn Smyth winner for christ's sake - he won't choke, especially not in a contract year (can you say "hello LA Kings" for a ton of money?).

Now a true hockey fan would have said "with the ducks lack of discipline/composure in the playoffs and the power play prowess in the playoffs of the Sens, this is the year the cup comes back to Canada!"  

If the Ducks don't win the Stanley Cup this year, it won't be Giguere's fault.
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #136 on: May 21, 2007, 02:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Now a true hockey fan would have said "with the ducks lack of discipline/composure in the playoffs and the power play prowess in the playoffs of the Sens, this is the year the cup comes back to Canada!"  

If the Ducks don't win the Stanley Cup this year, it won't be Giguere's fault.
calling me not a true hockey fan???  pshh. perhaps you mean "a more well-written hockey fan would've said"

but what i really meant by my little comment was that a) the senators should win the cup (if they play Anaheim and giguere is the reason they will lose

if giguere plays like he is now, they'll raise the cup, however, i dont think he will...and it sure as hell wont be Selanne/Neidermeyer/Prongers fault if they lose.

i seem to remember a hot springtime Giguere riding his momentum....oh so close once before.

i dont need to delve into a million stats that i know you are already aware of to say that, my prediction is that when the finals are over, Ducks fans will look at Giguere (over any other ducks player anyway) as to the reason they didnt win.

though, they'll probably have their eyes on Heatley/Spezza/Alfredsson even more.

vansmack

« Reply #137 on: May 21, 2007, 03:11:00 pm »
Just busting your chops, although I do expect a little more from Canadians when it comes to hockey analysis.

I'm very careful not to get ahead of myself, so we can break down a Ducks/Sens final after the Ducks eliminate the Wings, should that happen.

But it would be sad if Ducks fans blame Giggy for any playoff mishaps (and likely a testament to the lack of hockey knowledge for most Ducks fans) given his performance in the first three series.  

As for his 2003 performance, nobody blamed Giggy for the Ducks not winning, except perhaps Giggy himself, which is ridiculous.  The Mighty Ducks road his back all the way to Game 7, and yes, it was oh so close.
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #138 on: May 21, 2007, 03:22:00 pm »
  Just busting your chops, although I do expect a little more from Canadians when it comes to hockey analysis.

:)

ok.  i understand. though, this year, you can claim knowledge over me, since my team (boston) isnt in the playoffs and since i dont have Versus i havent even been watching the games.

furthermore, i admit to being an Eastern Conference fan far above Western Conference and will defer all western conference knowledge and analysis to my friends who are ducks/nucks/flames/wings fans.  :)

xcanuck

« Reply #139 on: May 22, 2007, 11:09:00 am »
Giguere proved that a hot goalie can steal a game, as he did in game 5. The Wings clearly outplayed them in every possible way and yet Giggy game them the chance to win.

However, he hasn't been stellar all the time. At times, he's been downright mediocre (see game 3, which was a 5-0 loss).

Some may say that Emery has been less than stellar, especially with the bad rebounds and occasional shaky play. But the team in front of him is SO strong that they've been able to beat the best goalies in the game, including Brodeur and Miller.

I just can't see either the Wings or the Ducks having the strength to contain the Sens. They can score with any given line. Sure, the Ducks will throw Pronger and Niedermayer at the Sens #1 line, but the Sens have players that can score on all lines.

The Sens have overpowered every team they've faced and I have every confidence that they'll win the Cup. GO SENS!!!!!

Venerable Bede

« Reply #140 on: May 22, 2007, 12:54:00 pm »
i wonder what team miss canada roots  for?
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #141 on: May 22, 2007, 01:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by xcanuck:
  However, he hasn't been stellar all the time. At times, he's been downright mediocre (see game 3, which was a 5-0 loss).
That loss had very little to do with Giggy and a whole lot to do with the D not clearing Holmstrom from the crease (or anybody for that matter). Carlysle actually did Giggy a favor and took him out after 3 to rest him for games 4 and 5 (a genius move at this point).  Bryzgalov actually gave up the last 2 goals in the same fashion - a save and a Red Wing pouncing on a loose puck in the crease.  It was ridiculous.

Giggy's GAA avg and save % are still better than Emery's.  But as I've said before, I am worried about the Sens offense, should the Ducks be fortunate enough to make the finals.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #142 on: May 22, 2007, 01:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  i wonder what team miss canada roots  for?
miss canada - what a  hard-body!!! (full shots available  here)
<sig>

vansmack

27>34

vansmack

« Reply #144 on: May 23, 2007, 10:47:00 am »
OK, bring on Canada!

Lucky for you guys, I'm travelling today, so you get a full day to get a head start on the trash talking.  And truth be told, I need a day to recover from that third period where the Ducks played like the had it wrapped up and the Wings played like their life depended on it.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #145 on: May 23, 2007, 10:52:00 am »
 Should the Ducks get through, I might not sleep thinking about the line of Alfredsson, Heatley and Spezza.
i have a friend who can hook you up with some ambien...

sweet dreams, smakie  :)  

anyone else aghast at the finals schedule?  game 1 next monday?!?  games only mondays, wednesdays and saturdays?!?
<sig>

sonickteam2

« Reply #146 on: May 23, 2007, 11:56:00 am »
that means the last game will be Monday June 4th?

can Anaheim even win one game of this????

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #147 on: May 23, 2007, 01:02:00 pm »
well this sucks! I will only get to see one game. maybe 2 if im pushing it. assuming saturday's game is a day game - where is a great place to watch in the DC area. I know this was posted somewhere else, but maybe some kind soul will post it again or invite me over   :D
HeyLa

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #148 on: May 23, 2007, 01:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by xneverwherex:
  well this sucks! I will only get to see one game. maybe 2 if im pushing it. assuming saturday's game is a day game - where is a great place to watch in the DC area. I know this was posted somewhere else, but maybe some kind soul will post it again or invite me over     :D  
the only real "hockey bar" is  bugsy's in old town alexandria. i'll definitely be hitting them up for a game or two of the series.  as far as i know i don't have any plans for that saturday, so let's head on over!  i had luck last week at lucky bar (dupont circle) but that was because i was the only one there on a saturday afternoon.  if it's an evening game,  forget that option.  

original thread asking this question  here
<sig>

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #149 on: May 23, 2007, 03:05:00 pm »
thanks! ill send you an email next week or something if that will work out  :)
HeyLa