Author Topic: BTS/CvB Roll Call  (Read 4831 times)

xcanuck

BTS/CvB Roll Call
« on: October 09, 2006, 11:02:00 am »
I can't believe NOONE is going to see these guys tonite. We'll be there. I've enjoyed all the Built to Spill shows I've ever seen. No reason to believe tonite should be an exception.

Relaxer

Re: BTS/CvB Roll Call
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 11:09:00 am »
I'm going tonight. I don't know why I've been so lax about this show. I love BTS, and I absolutely loved CVB 20 years ago, so this should've been one I had circled on the calendar. Oh well, it's not supposed to sell out so figure to just show up.
oword

throatneedle

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 12:00:00 pm »
i'll definitely be there tonight. it'll be my first time seeing them after being a fan for 12 years. hopefully they'll play 'velvet waltz'

Reod Dai

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 04:00:00 pm »
I was just wondering to myself earlier how in the hell Jenny Lewis sold out when the likes of Built to Spill and Camper Van Beethoven apparently haven't even come close.  That's messed up.  I suppose it's because there's two shows, and few people are going to both.  I'll definitely be there tonight, and possibly tomorrow night.  I've never seen either band (though I have seen Lowery live with Cracker), so I can't wait.

Barcelona

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 07:19:00 pm »
Just discovered Built to Spill last week on Last.fm with "Going against your mind". Seems like an excellent band. If I were in Washington, I would go to this show.

vansmack

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 07:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by Reod Dai:
  I was just wondering to myself earlier how in the hell Jenny Lewis sold out when the likes of Built to Spill and Camper Van Beethoven apparently haven't even come close.  That's messed up.  I suppose it's because there's two shows, and few people are going to both.  I'll definitely be there tonight, and possibly tomorrow night.  I've never seen either band (though I have seen Lowery live with Cracker), so I can't wait.
Or it could be that they've both been around for so long that many people have already seen them, as opposed to Jenny Lewis being relatively new and it will be the first opportunity for many to see her.

But I bet the total of two shows will outsell the one Jenny Lewis show.
27>34

Reod Dai

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 03:41:00 am »
Good lord, what an amazing show.  And everyone came out of the woodwork, apparently.  It had to be close to selling out, the place was so packed.  I'm seriously considering going to the second show.

Also, slight correction.  I have seen Built to Spill before, at Bumbershoot 2004 in Seattle.  It was after that show that I started listening to them.  Pretty bad when you start forgetting what bands you've seen...  But seeing them at a place like the 9:30 was a hell of a lot different than a huge outdoor stadium with thousands of people.

xcanuck

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 09:19:00 am »
Originally posted by Reod Dai:
  I was just wondering to myself earlier how in the hell Jenny Lewis sold out when the likes of Built to Spill and Camper Van Beethoven apparently haven't even come close.  
Jenny Lewis has much nicer tatas than David Lowry or Doug Martsch.

But damn, they both put on a fine show last night. I had to leave probably midway through the BtS set in order to catch the metro, which was a shame. And the club filled in quite nicely after all. Good to see.

alex

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 09:49:00 am »
CvB was awesome...BTS was great too, but I also had to leave at about 11:45 to catch the Metro.  How did the setlist end up?

Relaxer

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 10:24:00 am »
It's weird. I love Built to Spill, love the records, love Doug's voice and playing, and love the songs. Plus, I really appreciate bands that are no-frills, that stretch out songs, and are strong players. That said, BTS always leaves a me a little underwhelmed. I don't know why and I can't quite understand it, but I thought the show was only okay and that's been my opinion in each of the 3-4 times I've seen BTS.

I was pleased to see such a turn-out. I hope they draw that many tonight, because I still like the band a lot.
oword

throatneedle

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 11:03:00 am »
"Conventional Wisdom", "Made-up Dreams", and especially "Untrustable" were AMAZING live. I left during "Carry the Zero" since I figured the encore was going to be "Broken Chairs" from looking at their other setlists. GREAT show! Too bad I live in Baltimore 'cause i would go see them again tonight, but make sure to get there late. CVB were terrible

tobyd

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 01:26:00 pm »
It's so funny how subjective music is.  I've seen BTS close to twenty times and last night's show was the best yet.  I loved CVB as well, killer doublebill.  Can't wait for round two tonight.

930 Club
 DC
 10/9/06

Traces
 The Plan
 Dystopian Dream Girl
 Nowhere Nothing Fuckup
 Goin Against Your Mind
 Untrustable
 Tomorrow
 Reasons
 Conventional Wisdom
 Bomb Shelter
 Strange
 Stop The Show (full version with vocal ending)
 Carry The Zero
 E. Broken Chairs

snailhook

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 02:36:00 pm »
i'd normally be going to one of these shows, but i had to manage the secret shine show last night -- which was fantastic -- and i have to work tonight. i'm not too bummed, though, as i've seen BTS about 65 or 6 times, and CvB twice.

thingsfallapart

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 03:14:00 pm »
I'll be there tonight, first time seeing BtS.

ggw

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 05:03:00 pm »
I'll be there tonight.