Author Topic: Jay Farrar  (Read 2506 times)

jadetree

Jay Farrar
« on: January 15, 2003, 10:49:00 am »
Jay Farrar Film Score to Hit Stores in March<P>Will Bryant reports: <BR>Bloodshot Records has set March 4th as the release date for the soundtrack to The Slaughter Rule, the 2002 Sundance Festival selection featuring new music the Pernice Brothers, Vic Chesnutt, and Blood Oranges alongside previously released material from Neko Case, Ryan Adams, and Uncle Tupelo (who contribute their excellent but scarcely heard cover of Gram Parsons' "Blue Eyes"). In addition to the all-star alt-country lineup, the soundtrack sports eleven confoundingly titled selections from Farrar's instrumental score for the film ("Guraption", anyone?). All told, March should be a fruitful month for Uncle Tupelo fans: as previously reported, Columbia/Legacy are issuing remastered editions of the band's first three albums-- No Depression, Still Feel Gone, and March 16-20, 1992-- with gussied-up sound and requisite bonus tracks on March 11th.<P>Pitchfork originally reported the tracklist and imminent release of the Slaughter Rule soundtrack around this time last year; though the album was mastered and ready to go, Bloodshot and the filmmakers were hoping the coming-of-age-in-a-football-obsessed-small-town story would find a U.S. theatrical distributor. Alas, it did not, but will debut this month on digital-cable fave The Sundance Channel. The indie flick stars Ryan Gosling (The Believer), Kelly Lynch (Drugstore Cowboy), and Clinton doppelganger David Morse (aka the dude Björk whacked in Dancer in the Dark). Tracklist:<P>01 Jay Farrar: Gather<BR>02 Vic Chesnutt: Rank Stranger<BR>03 Freakwater: When I Stop Dreaming<BR>04 Wylie & the Wild West: Odessa Yodel<BR>05 Blood Oranges: Gathering Flowers for the Master's Bouquet<BR>06 Ryan Adams: To Be Young (Is To Be Sad, Is To Be High)<BR>07 Speedy West & Jimmy Bryant: West of Samoa<BR>08 Neko Case: Porchlight<BR>09 Jimmie Dale Gilmore & The Flatlanders: Tonight I Think I'm Gonna Go Downtown<BR>10 Malcolm Holcombe: Killing the Blues<BR>11 Uncle Tupelo: Blue Eyes<BR>12 Pernice Brothers: Will There Be Any Stars In My Crown<BR>13 Open Ground*<BR>14 Frost Heaves*<BR>15 Highwood*<BR>16 Augusta*<BR>17 Buffalo Jump*<BR>18 Freight*<BR>19 Dark Early*<BR>20 Cold Chinese*<BR>21 Guraption*<BR>22 Hangman*<BR>23 Open Ground [reprise]*<P>

Re: Jay Farrar
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2003, 02:14:00 pm »
Sounds like a good soundtrack to me.<P>Does this mean I've got to buy all the older Uncle Tupelo over again to get the bonus tracks?<P>And you can buy all the Bloodshot stuff at <A HREF="http://www.bloodshotrecords.com." TARGET=_blank>www.bloodshotrecords.com.[/url]  Probably cheaper, and they probably make more money in the deal. Tell them Rhett sent you.

jadetree

Re: Jay Farrar
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2003, 02:28:00 pm »
Nah I would just stick with the old albums, I don't what this sound enhancement they are referring to is going to do to the albums, probably nothing but add a few dollars.  Was Rockville Records part of Columbia back then or did Columbia acquire the Uncle Tupelo library?