Author Topic: The best BRIT-POP song ever...  (Read 4007 times)

Venerable Bede

Re: The best BRIT-POP song ever...
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2004, 04:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bollocks:

Catherine Wheel - are they Britpop?
i was wondering that too. . .otherwise i would probably have chosen "black metallic."  thought they were a bit too heavy for britpop.
OU812

bearman🐻

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2004, 04:54:00 pm »
I always thought Blur was sort of the quintessential Britpop band. They were certainly the biggest ones, on both sides of the Atlantic. "Popscene" is their defining moment, before they went indie low-fi. How do you like that lingo?   ;)  Catherine Wheel really weren't Britpop. I would, however, consider stuff like Pulp, Menswe@r, Blur, etc. to be Britpop. Not that classifying matters. I would lump Lush, Ride, Catherine Wheel, etc. as more shoe-gazing type bands, before they rebelled and tried to go off in other directions as a result of grunge. I feel sorry for a lot of those bands back then. Grunge probably made a lot of them re-think their directions as they tried to break through in the U.S. Catherine Wheel wanted it SO bad in 1995 when they released "Happy Days". Instead they got beat out by Bush. Really sad, CW was such a great band. I still love them.

mankie

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2004, 05:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by bunnyman:
  Catherine Wheel wanted it SO bad in 1995 when they released "Happy Days". Instead they got beat out by Bush. Really sad, CW was such a great band. I still love them.
Even Mankie has a CW album....supwidat???

Beautiful South I would say are classic Britpop, along with The Smiths, with Oasis later on. Pulp I don't know too much about because I was over here and they didn't get much airplay stateside. I saw them on telly one time when I was over home, and my overwhelming reaction was, "fuckin hell, that's one ugly bastard"

Shadrach

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2004, 05:45:00 pm »
"Don't Look Back In Anger" - Oasis
 "Have A Nice Day" - Stereophonics
 "Poor Misguided Fool" - Starsailor

Do The Jesus and Mary Chain count as Brit-Pop? If so then I have to include "Head On".

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2004, 01:20:00 pm »
Connection by Elastica

Fico

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2004, 02:33:00 pm »
First off, to say that Blur were bigger than Oasis in both sides of the Atlantic is a HUGE mistake... Oasis have played the biggest gigs in England (Knebworth, Maine Road, Finsbury Park, Wembley) and they have done arena tours in the US up to the release of Standing on the Shoulders of Giants... Blur hit it big with Song 2, but their sales and fanbase don't compare to that of Oasis..

Now for my picks:

- I wanna be adored (Stone Roses)
 - Beautiful Ones (Suede)
 - Wonderwall (Oasis)