Author Topic: Pollard and Bede are going to be crushed  (Read 5156 times)

ratioci nation

Re: Pollard and Bede are going to be crushed
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2004, 10:18:00 am »
http://tinyurl.com/2dtdq

Update: GBV Offers Up Final 'Smiles'

As tipped here last month, Guided By Voices will release its final studio album, "Half Smiles of the Decomposed," Aug. 24 via Matador. The 14-track set was produced by Todd Tobias, who was behind the boards for the group's 2003 album "Earthquake Glue." GBV frontman Robert Pollard recently confirmed the group will split at year's end.

"Half Smiles" is musically of a piece with GBV's past few albums, blending upbeat rockers like "Gonna Never Have To Die" and "Asphyxiated Circle" with more meditative fare such as "Window of My World" and "A Second Spurt of Growth." A snippet from what sounds like a television evangelist can be heard at the beginning of "Sons of Apollo," while keyboards and acoustic guitars underscore the penultimate cut "(S)mothering and Coaching."

Album opener "Everybody Thinks I'm a Raincloud (When I'm Not Looking)" seems to reflect Pollard's decision to dissolve GBV in lines like "This is not my day / nobody really cares anymore anyhow / nobody called again / 'cause they said that I'm too lazy to stay alive."

GBV only has six tour dates on its schedule at present, beginning with a June 4 show in its Dayton, Ohio, hometown. The itinerary is open between mid-June and Aug. 19, when the group will play a free concert on Manhattan's Hudson River Pier.

A spokesperson says a full tour will follow the new album's release. And while Pollard previously said GBV's final gig would be on New Year's Eve in New York, plans are now calling for that show to be held in Chicago.

Here is the track list for "Half Smiles of the Decomposed":

"Everybody Thinks I'm a Raincloud (When I'm Not Looking)"
 "Sleep Over Jack"
 "Girls of Wild Strawberries"
 "Gonna Never Have To Die"
 "Window of My World"
 "The Closets of Henry"
 "Tour Guide at the Winston Churchill Memorial"
 "Asia Minor"
 "Sons of Apollo"
 "Sing for Your Meat"
 "Asphyxiated Circle"
 "A Second Spurt of Growth"
 "(S)mothering and Coaching"
 "Huffman Prairie Flying Field"

Venerable Bede

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2004, 10:22:00 am »
Originally posted by pollard:
   And while Pollard previously said GBV's final gig would be on New Year's Eve in New York, plans are now calling for that show to be held in Chicago.

yes!!!  everything's coming up milhouse!!!  i'm gonna be in chicago that week anyway.
OU812

ratioci nation

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2004, 10:24:00 am »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  yes!!!  everything's coming up milhouse!!!  i'm gonna be in chicago that week anyway.
there is a good chance I will be there as well, hopefully they play the abbey pub again, and with tobin sprout again

ratioci nation

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2004, 10:20:00 am »
Details on the 3lp vinyl re-release of Bee Thousand

Bee Thousand : The Director's Cut

http://www.scatrecords.com/65tracklist.htm

nkotb

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2004, 11:45:00 am »
Pollard or Bede: do either of you know of any GBV FTP sites?  I was trying to download a copy of Edison's Demos, but have had no luck finding it on Soulseek.  Any help?

ratioci nation

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2004, 01:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotbie:
  Pollard or Bede: do either of you know of any GBV FTP sites?  I was trying to download a copy of Edison's Demos, but have had no luck finding it on Soulseek.  Any help?
nope, sorry, I have Edison's Demos, but only on vinyl, I hear the new album is on soulseek now

ratioci nation

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2004, 11:30:00 am »
gbv.com and matadorrecords.com will have two sneak preview MP3s from Half Smiles of the Decomposed around 5 PM EST today.

redsock

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2004, 11:53:00 am »
So it appears our wakarusa schedule has us leaving before GBV even plays. What a freakin waste. Now I can't even see a decent band, unless I make it to some of the stuff on Friday. Sigh...

ratioci nation

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2004, 05:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:
  gbv.com and matadorrecords.com will have two sneak preview MP3s from Half Smiles of the Decomposed around 5 PM EST today.
Gonna Never Have To Die -  http://www.matadorrecords.com/mpeg/guided_by_voices/guided_by_voices_gonna_never.mp3
 Everybody Thinks I'm A Raincloud (When I'm Not Looking)
  -  http://gbv.com/sounds/raincloud.mp3

joz

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2004, 07:47:00 pm »
not bad at all...i hope the rest of the album is as strong.  my husband and i are already planning for the new years' show, wherever it may be...i'm hoping for chicago.

SPARX

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2004, 03:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by joz:
  not bad at all...i hope the rest of the album is as strong.  .
It is,best work they've done in a long time IMHO!!

ratioci nation

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2004, 11:00:00 am »
from GBV's listserv

Just to let you know, so folks can get a handle on what shows they want/need to make in order to see GBV one more time, by July 1 we should be releasing ALL dates for the final GBV tour. The first dates will be in early September with the last show, obviously, being December 31.