Author Topic: Rilo Kiley Roll Call  (Read 8544 times)

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
Re: Rilo Kiley Roll Call
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2005, 09:17:00 am »
i will follow up your holy shit with a "hot dayyyum"

my friend and i won the brunettes dance contest!
 did you guys like portastatic too?

oddball420

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2005, 04:19:00 pm »
anyone know what the encore songs was i was really smashed by that time if someone could help jog my memory its would be much appericated

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2005, 04:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by oddball420:
  anyone know what the encore songs was i was really smashed by that time if someone could help jog my memory its would be much appericated
They played a piano duet version of Spectacular Views and then the big group number with Conor and Mars Black was Pete Townsend's Let My Love Open The Door.

you be betty

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2005, 07:45:00 pm »
yeah.  
 oh man, was that great...
 i think spectacular views has been the encore at almost every show on this tour.  awesome.

amnesiac

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2005, 03:29:00 pm »
Monday, May 30, 2005; Page C05

Washington Post
 Rilo Kiley at the 9:30 Club

Let's track the soaring career trajectory of indie pop rockers Rilo Kiley: Three years ago, the Los Angeles four-piece band played for a dozen folks at the now-defunct Metro Café. A follow-up gig at the Velvet Lounge drew an additional 20 fans. Two hundred fifty showed up in 2003 at the Black Cat, and Saturday night there was a full house at the 1,200-capacity 9:30 club. And bigger things are coming: In September Rilo Kiley will open for Coldplay at Nissan Pavilion. Who knows, next year Coldplay could be opening for them.

Judging by Saturday's show, the exponentially growing popularity is deserved. Joined by an additional guitarist and a trumpet player, the band creates a shimmering sound that is smart and accessible, exuberant and heartbreaking. Lead singer and multi-instrumentalist Jenny Lewis is the shining star, a mesmerizing vocalist with a range as wide as a desert and a voice that manages to be both intimate and detached. Behind her eyes-hiding bangs, she brings to mind a sneering Chrissie Hynde on edgier songs and Sonny-era Cher on poppier fare.

For 90 minutes Lewis and band mates Blake Sennett, Pierre de Reeder and Jason Boesel took the youngish crowd on a tour of the group's three albums. Sound problems muffled Lewis's voice at first, but were worked out in time for her slow-burning take on the torchy "I Never" and the sweeping singalong grandeur of "With Arms Outstretched." On the latter song, indie darling Conor Oberst and his Bright Eyes pals, still in town after two nights at the club, helped on the chorus.

Other gems included "The Good That Won't Come Out" and the title tracks to the band's last two albums, "More Adventurous" and "The Execution of All Things." Perhaps the only misstep was an ill-advised experimental jam band reworking of the previously perfect "Wires and Waves," from the first album, "Take-Offs & Landings."

For the finale, Oberst and, well, seemingly everyone else who was backstage joined Rilo Kiley for a joyous, nearly a cappella version of Pete Townshend's "Let My Love Open the Door." Indie rock superstars reinterpreting a rock classic as a magical hoedown is just this side of brilliant. Maybe Coldplay should try it when it opens for Rilo Kiley.

-- Joe Heim

honey_chile

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2005, 07:23:00 pm »
I apologize for my somewhat 'rude' comment before, Alyssa. I just had a really good time and am still not understanding this on-going fued between us.

~Georgia.

bigyellow100

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2005, 05:43:00 pm »
does anyone have any pics from the show to share for those of us who didnt have a camera/too wasted to remember some parts?

you be betty

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2005, 07:54:00 pm »
hahahahahhahahaa
 i took pictures AND video, but they aren't uploaded yet.  if you want to send me an IM tomorrow or friday at youbeBetty; i can send em away to you, mr.alcohol...i mean...message board person...

shtee223

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2005, 08:17:00 pm »
just found this - clips of "with arms outstretched" and "let my love open the door" finale with conor oberst and then mars black. DAMN I WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN THERE!!!!!

shtee223

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2005, 08:20:00 pm »
forgot to post the link haha here it is

http://www.inastorytold.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=606330

honey_chile

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2005, 09:42:00 pm »
Are you serious?

honey_chile

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2005, 05:37:00 pm »
HAHAHA, yes. yes, you are.

cheechako

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2005, 09:06:00 pm »
Does anyone have a setlist?

you be betty

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2005, 09:23:00 pm »
yup!
 my friends and i somehow managed to get set lists from each band, between only two of us.  ha.  it's magical.

It's a Hit
 Hail to Whatever You Found in the Sunlight That Surrounds You
 Portions For Foxes
 Paints Peelin'
 I Never
 Pull Me In
 -----------------------------
 So Long
 More Adventurous
 Ripchord
 With Arms Outstretched
 ---------------------------
 It Just Is
 The Execution Of All Things
 Love & War
 Frozen Lake
 Pictures Of Success
 Does He Love You?
 ------------------------
 [ENCORE]
 Spectacular Views (acoustic, jenny and blake)
 Let My Love Open The Door (Pete Townsend.  Well, he wasn't onstage, but...yeah.  okay.)

cheechako or whatever...do you have black curly hair?

honey_chile

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2005, 09:23:00 pm »
yes, i do.
 'twas...
 -it's a hit.
 -hail to.
 -portions for foxes.
 -paints peelin'.
 -i never.
 -pull me in.
 -so long.
 -more adventurous.
 -ripchord.
 -with arms outstretched.
 -it just is.
 -execution of all things.
 -love and war.
 -frozen lake.
 -pictures of success.
 -does he love you?

i hope that was what you're looking for.
  :)  :)