Author Topic: Marr and the healers  (Read 25595 times)

wingelbert humptyback

Re: Marr and the healers
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2003, 02:22:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jadetree:<BR><B>so was the Marr show full?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It had filled up a fair amount by the time Marr hit the stage, but there definitely seemed to be a handful of tickets left to be sold.

markie

« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2003, 02:28:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jadetree:<BR><B>so was the Marr show full?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It got fairly full just before the show. But about half-way through the show people started drifting off. It didnt sell out though, must of been about 200 people away from doing that.<P><BR>I was good to see so many board members there. It was fun, thanks!<P>I thought the show was good, I really liked mellowdrone. <P>I was vocal about my dread of Marr. but I was pleasently surprised I thought his voice sounded good and the whole show was quite rocking. I guess the two biggest put downs I heard were " the recorded material isnt as rocky" and "this sounds rather like oasis". I particularly liked Marrs guitar sound when he played the Rickenbacker, very much like the smiths. <P>The best song was in my opinion was the bob dylan cover with just Jonny and the bassist playing the keyboard.<P>It was erie to see Ringo Starr playing the drums. Made it feel like it was half way to some 70's supergroup.

wingelbert humptyback

« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2003, 02:42:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B> It was erie to see Ringo Starr playing the drums. Made it feel like it was half way to some 70's supergroup.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I was sitting in the back of the room, but I am pretty sure that was Zak Starkey on the drums, not Ringo. He's Ringo's son though, so that's close.<P>As for it being less rocky than the album, I'd honestly say I think that's a little off the mark. In fact, I thought it sounded very much like the album. Almost note for note for the most part.

markie

« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2003, 02:47:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wingelbert humptyback:<BR><B> I was sitting in the back of the room, but I am pretty sure that was Zak Starkey on the drums, not Ringo. He's Ringo's son though, so that's close.</B><P>yes I know, I did think he looked absolutely identical to Ringo though. I was expecting him to start narrating, Thomas the tank engine stylee, any moment.<P><B>As for it being less rocky than the album, I'd honestly say I think that's a little off the mark. In fact, I thought it sounded very much like the album. Almost note for note for the most part.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well I dont have the album, but I have four tracks off it and they sounded better last night than they do recorded. I think Jaguar thought the same.<P>

jadetree

« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2003, 02:47:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B> "this sounds rather like oasis"</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>that was my thought when I heard the music on the site, I can imagine that making for a decent show though

markie

« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2003, 02:49:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jadetree:<BR><B> that was my thought when I heard the music on the site, I can imagine that making for a decent show though</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>yeah, it was a good show. Not great, not the smiths, but a good show. Definately in the upper 50% of shows I go to not the bottom 50%.

wingelbert humptyback

« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2003, 03:01:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B> Well I dont have the album, but I have four tracks off it and they sounded better last night than they do recorded. I think Jaguar thought the same.<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I agree it had a little more punch to it (hopefully most live shows will), but the album and the show both strike me as being pretty straight forward rock.<P>I realized after I responded that you more likely than not knew that wasn't Ringo. Unfortunately the overwhelming lack of sleep I got last night is causing my brain to perform at a level even lower than my usual standards.

markie

« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2003, 03:07:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wingelbert humptyback:<BR><B> I agree it had a little more punch to it (hopefully most live shows will), but the album and the show both strike me as being pretty straight forward rock.</B><P>I guess that may be somewhat disappointing. I mean the smiths did and still do sound unique. It might have been more impressive if he had done something more original. When people have such high expectations though it must be impossible to keep everyone happy.<P><B>I realized after I responded that you more likely than not knew that wasn't Ringo. Unfortunately the overwhelming lack of sleep I got last night is causing my brain to perform at a level even lower than my usual standards.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>although the thought of Ringo drumming for a band that couldnt sell out the blackcat is a rather amusing one. <P>you're 16 you're beautiful and your Miiiine.<P>sorry I got carried away.<P>

wingelbert humptyback

« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2003, 03:29:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B> I guess that may be somewhat disappointing. I mean the smiths did and still do sound unique. It might have been more impressive if he had done something more original. When people have such high expectations though it must be impossible to keep everyone happy.<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I agree again. I always try to give an artist the benefit of the doubt when they are embarking on a solo career after being a member of such a renowned band. I definitely didn't expect to hear the next Smiths when I popped in "Boomslang," but even still I feel there's a certain lack of depth to his latest work that caught me by surprise. It just feels so shallow, both technically and emotionally. Even as strictly by the numbers pop (which I have absolutely nothing against), it lacks the kind of inspired hooks that would keep me coming back for more listening.<P>

Jaguär

« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2003, 04:30:00 pm »
The live show has perked up my ears for the album. Yes Markie, I do believe that the live show had more pizzazz. No pizza though.<P>Set list (with hand noted chord cheat cheat for some tunes. In the parenthesis):<P>Long Gone               11-1 / 11-2<BR>Caught Up (D)           12-1 / 12-5<BR>Here It Comes           23-1 / 23-3<BR>Down On The Corner (4)  22-4 / 22-5<BR>All Out Attack          22-1 / 22-3<BR>You Are The Magic (D)   14-1 / 14-5<BR>In Betweens (D)         24-1 / 24-3<BR>Don't Think Twice    <BR>Another Day (E)         21-1 / 21/3<BR>Last Ride               13-1 / 13-3<BR>Need It                 26-1 / 26-2<BR>--------------------------------<BR>Something To Shout      11-4 / 11-5<BR>Bangin On               15-1 / 15-5<P>------------------------------------<P>Markie, the Dylan song is Don't Think Twice. It's an old classic.<p>[This message has been edited by Jaguär (edited 01-21-2003).]

markie

« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2003, 04:55:00 pm »
I liked the Dylan song, thanks Jag. I didnt realise thats what it was. It was the most touching and smiths like of the songs they played

wingelbert humptyback

« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2003, 05:31:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B>I liked the Dylan song, thanks Jag. I didnt realise thats what it was. It was the most touching and smiths like of the songs they played</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>anyone else notice how much marr's cover of that song sounded like "please, please, please, let me get what i want?"<P>i didn't pick up on it until my girlfriend pointed it out, but i have to say that there was something to it.

markie

« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2003, 05:52:00 pm »
I ddnt think it sounded that similar to any particular song. Just the overall effect was reminscent.<P>that rickenbacker sound helped a lot.

Fico

« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2003, 06:06:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B>I ddnt think it sounded that similar to any particular song. Just the overall effect was reminscent.<P>that rickenbacker sound helped a lot.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>13 songs all-together...seems like it was a short show..<P>funny you would mention the Rickenbacker Markie... Johnny's been more of a Les Paul guy through his career.. not only most of his videos picture him playing a Les Paul, but I do remember a story about him giving Noel Gallagher one of his Les Paul's as a symbol of passing the Brit-Pop "torch" to him...the same thing Weller did when he gave him a White Rickenbacker he used on top of the pops...<P>

Fico

« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2003, 06:10:00 pm »
I take my statement back....from a guitar magazine interview Marr says this:<P>'That said, a lot of the album was actually recorded with a '54 Telecaster belonging to John Porter. I used a Rickenbacker 360 12-string as well, and that was the guitar which subsequently got all the attention, but in fact it was mainly the Tele, and a bit of Les Paul.'<BR>