Author Topic: VP debate tonight  (Read 44174 times)

Venerable Bede

Re: VP debate tonight
« Reply #150 on: October 03, 2008, 05:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by Tom Servo:

- when Biden gave everyone a civics lesson by reaffirming that the Vice President is, in fact, part of the executive branch.  And that the current VP is a nightmare.
not necessarily true. . .

from instapundit:

"And, yes, the VP's legislative duties are in Article I. But that cuts precisely against the point that Biden was trying to make. Here's what Biden said: "Vice President Cheney has been the most dangerous vice president we've had probably in American history. The idea he doesn't realize that Article I of the Constitution defines the role of the vice president of the United States, that's the Executive Branch. He works in the Executive Branch. He should understand that. Everyone should understand that. . . . The only authority the vice president has from the legislative standpoint is the vote, only when there is a tie vote. He has no authority relative to the Congress. The idea he's part of the Legislative Branch is a bizarre notion invented by Cheney to aggrandize the power of a unitary executive and look where it has gotten us. It has been very dangerous." This is wong on multiple levels at once. Article I -- which deals with the legislative, not the Executive branch, says: "The Vice President of the United States shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no Vote, unless they be equally divided." The Vice President presides over the Senate by right, whenever he/she wants to, regardless of whether there's a tie vote.

What's more, Vice Presidents, until Spiro Agnew, got their offices and budgets from the Senate, not the Executive Branch. The legislative character of that office is traditional -- treating the VP as part of the Executive Branch, and a sort of junior co-President, is a recent and, to my mind, unwise innovation. That's discussed at more length in  this article from the Northwestern University Law Review."

now, there are two points to be made here- 1) whether or not cheney maliciously chose one branch over another at his convenience, which is not the point of this posting, but rather, 2) which branch the VP most appropriately belongs to, and that can be read as being part of the legislative branch.  the constitution lays out three things for the VP and that's to be president of the senate, cast any tie-breaking votes in the senate and succeed the president should the president die in office, in other words, two legislative responsibilities.  in this case, biden has his constitution wrong.  again, i'm not arguing as to the merits of cheney as a VP, but as to biden's (mis)understanding of the role of the VP as layed out in the Constitution.

and no, i have no desire to get dragged back into a pissing contest on this stuff.
OU812

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #151 on: October 03, 2008, 06:00:00 pm »
Well, after watching last nights love fest I have to ask myself the question "do I want to vote for the ticket with the inexperienced one as 'el pres or the ticket with the inexperienced one as veep?"

I would've liked a Biden/Clinton ticket personally, but I'm just a crazy cat

sonickteam2

« Reply #152 on: October 03, 2008, 06:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:

and no, i have no desire to get dragged back into a pissing contest on this stuff.
oh so you want to just make your point and leave?

wait, that wasnt even your point.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #153 on: October 03, 2008, 07:01:00 pm »
That's interesting, the notion of an earpiece.  I hadn't thought about it before but it totally makes sense (and is consistent with Republican lack of ethics in general).

Even with her earpiece, she showed very little depth beneath her talking points... and just as I was beginning to think there were enough stupid Americans out there that she might get away with it, polls do show that Biden was perceived by a majority as having "won."

The Dems should make it a national priority to defeat Miss Piggy as governor after this election so that it's harder for the GOP to field her (with a better earpiece and more coaching) in 2012.
_\|/_

manimtired

« Reply #154 on: October 03, 2008, 07:07:00 pm »
so we have consensus on the earpiece? you guys are quite the detectives. good work.

• my blog
« Reply #155 on: October 03, 2008, 07:08:00 pm »
I think we have consensus that you're a troll
_\|/_

manimtired

« Reply #156 on: October 03, 2008, 07:27:00 pm »
b/c im not a democrat?

Vas Deferens

« Reply #157 on: October 03, 2008, 08:04:00 pm »
"you betcha" <wink, wink>    

Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:
  I think we have consensus that you're a troll
(_|_)

godsshoeshine

« Reply #158 on: October 04, 2008, 10:50:00 am »
congress has the power to confirm treaties and approve presidential appointments, so i suppose we could argue they are part of the executive branch as well
o/\o

manimtired

« Reply #159 on: October 04, 2008, 01:28:00 pm »
more creepiness for obama.

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=188153

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #160 on: October 04, 2008, 01:33:00 pm »
Aw, I've joked about the Obama Youth Army, but now it's actually coming to fruition. It's amazing how charisma blinds people to a complete lack of character, ability, qualification, or policy.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #161 on: October 04, 2008, 02:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by manimtired:
  more creepiness for obama.

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=188153
Maybe Obama could inspire a few of those kids to put down the twinkies and hop on a treadmill...

• my blog
« Reply #162 on: October 04, 2008, 03:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by Julian, certified WEBLEBRITY:
  Aw, I've joked about the Obama Youth Army, but now it's actually coming to fruition. It's amazing how charisma blinds people to a complete lack of character, ability, qualification, or policy.
It's amazing how eight years of misrule, dishonesty, incompetence, economic mismanagement, pandering to ill-educated Christian fanatics, and ideological demagoguery cause people to really want to not give the political party responsible for that another shot.
_\|/_

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #163 on: October 04, 2008, 03:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:
  It's amazing how eight years of misrule, dishonesty, incompetence, economic mismanagement, pandering to ill-educated Christian fanatics, and ideological demagoguery cause people to really want to not give the political party responsible for that another shot.
It's amazing how supposedly intelligent people are dumb enough to believe that every Republican is a neoconservative and every Democrat is a gay-marrying, aborted fetus eating hyperliberal.

lagas

« Reply #164 on: October 04, 2008, 04:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by Julian, certified WEBLEBRITY:
   It's amazing how charisma blinds people to a complete lack of character, ability, qualification, or policy.
are you talking about Sarah Palin?
zorra